WWE/NJPW FLIRTING THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

WWE/NJPW FLIRTING THREAD

Post by supersonic »

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe- ... tus-342576

SPYWARE/POP-UP ALERT - https://www.pwinsider.com/article/14726 ... n.html?p=1
PWInsider.com has been told today by sources from each company that there have been communications between the two sides for several months but the main crux of it was over the potential of Daniel Bryan being able to potentially work some dates in NJPW.
Last edited by supersonic on Fri May 28, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewROHFan2020

Re: WWE/NJPW FLIRTING THREAD

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

If it happens, NJPW will instantly become “lame” and “sellouts” by wrestling nerds across the US.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

sad news.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Why is this in the ROH section?
Montana

Post by Montana »

I cant see this happening; but never say never. WWE may be open to this, in spite of AEW. WWE is sports entertaining and NJPW is wrestling; so it may be hard for both sides to work things out. Would a majority of the WWE audience even care??
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:01 am I cant see this happening; but never say never. WWE may be open to this, in spite of AEW. WWE is sports entertaining and NJPW is wrestling; so it may be hard for both sides to work things out. Would a majority of the WWE audience even care??
No, the audience wouldn’t. WWE would only be interested in their talent and keeping them away from other promotions.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

And NJPW's decline continues...
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Montana wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:01 am I cant see this happening; but never say never. WWE may be open to this, in spite of AEW. WWE is sports entertaining and NJPW is wrestling; so it may be hard for both sides to work things out. Would a majority of the WWE audience even care??
The booking of New Japan over the last year would tend to disagree. They have certainly upped their amount of sports entertainment
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Hopefully WWE sends all their biggest names over for a tour once a year - where those big names dog it, trample over all the biggest NJPW stars regardless of what their storylines are and how it suits the NJPW product.

Then progressively the scale of the talent is reduced. It starts with Roman Reigns, John Cena or Brock Lesnar (making his big NJPW return). A couple of years down the line we have Okada putting over Baron Corbin or Otis.

(Why yes, this was a bitter post about how much I’ve disliked NJPW’s superiority in their ROH relationship)
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

SPYWARE/POP-UP ALERT - https://www.pwinsider.com/article/14726 ... n.html?p=1
PWInsider.com has been told today by sources from each company that there have been communications between the two sides for several months but the main crux of it was over the potential of Daniel Bryan being able to potentially work some dates in NJPW.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

McXal wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:46 am Hopefully WWE sends all their biggest names over for a tour once a year - where those big names dog it, trample over all the biggest NJPW stars regardless of what their storylines are and how it suits the NJPW product.

Then progressively the scale of the talent is reduced. It starts with Roman Reigns, John Cena or Brock Lesnar (making his big NJPW return). A couple of years down the line we have Okada putting over Baron Corbin or Otis.

(Why yes, this was a bitter post about how much I’ve disliked NJPW’s superiority in their ROH relationship)
I'm glad I stopped caring about ROH after BITW 2011 for this to bother me. We can discuss Dragon Soldier B all day though, since that actually took place when #ItUsedToBeBetter.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

There was a report earlier today from Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer about WWE reaching out to New Japan Pro Wrestling about a potential working agreement. Since that report began making the rounds, we've heard from a number of readers asking whether there is anything to it. We are told there is and there isn't.

PWInsider.com has been told today by sources from each company that there have been communications between the two sides for several months but the main crux of it was over the potential of Daniel Bryan being able to potentially work some dates in NJPW. Whether anything has come from those discussions remain to be seen. Is it possible the two sides could build a bridge to each other? Sure, but if so, it's not happening right now and it's not something that has happened yet despite talking for some time off and on.

So, This is not a case where any sort of talks are about to lead to New Japan immediately pulling up stakes with their current working agreement or NJPW talents making some sort of shocking appearance on Raw. AEW's Jon Moxley has possession of the IWGP United States title, plus Yuji Nagata worked for them several weeks ago plus Roppongi Vice just reunited in AEW. Meanwhile, Satoshi Kojima just made his Impact Wrestling debut. Don't expect anything in regard to those promotions' relationships with NJPW to change anytime soon, if at all.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

supersonic wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 am
McXal wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:46 am Hopefully WWE sends all their biggest names over for a tour once a year - where those big names dog it, trample over all the biggest NJPW stars regardless of what their storylines are and how it suits the NJPW product.

I'm glad I stopped caring about ROH after BITW 2011 for this to bother me. We can discuss Dragon Soldier B all day though, since that actually took place when #ItUsedToBeBetter.
Haha! Great point well made! Although everyone KNEW that sucked. We accepted it sucked, we were grateful for Danielson/Spanky from that show (I loved the Roddy/Gibson match too), the whole thing was dropped, then we moved on with our lives!

It wasn’t 2/4/8 shows a year where we had to pause ROH and let all of NJPW’s guys steamroll everything and set back the product for months as a result. Every year! 😂😂
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

McXal wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:23 pm
supersonic wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 am

Haha! Great point well made! Although everyone KNEW that sucked. We accepted it sucked, we were grateful for Danielson/Spanky from that show (I loved the Roddy/Gibson match too), the whole thing was dropped, then we moved on with our lives!

It wasn’t 2/4/8 shows a year where we had to pause ROH and let all of NJPW’s guys steamroll everything and set back the product for months as a result. Every year! 😂😂
The crowd helped too. There will NEVER be an audience in ROH again like Asbury Park that night, who DEMANDED better and were damn right to do so.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

WWE booked NJPW's LIGER before HOF.
So must ask who in NJPW become HOF 2023.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/dani ... lks-343246
In this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer provided some updates on last week's report that WWE and New Japan Pro Wrestling have had talks regarding a partnership.

In talking with people close to the negotiations, Meltzer said the partnership wasn't the idea of WWE president Nick Khan, but that Khan has been the point person and is believed to have recommended to Vince McMahon to further pursue it.

Meltzer said that while Daniel Bryan was involved in the early discussions, the free agent hasn't been part of any recent talks.

He said the initial intent of such a partnership wasn't to freeze out AEW, but an exclusive deal would end relationships with both AEW and Impact Wrestling where New Japan talent has appeared as of late. He believes any deal would be more NXT-focused and beneficial for both sides.

"New Japan also would not agree to any deal unless they felt it was extremely beneficial to them. Keep in mind that WWE has regularly tried to talk with (New Japan) in the past and it’s gotten nowhere. The real difference here is Nick Khan has never been involved in these talks in the past," he wrote.

"This very well could get about as far as WWE’s talks to buy NOAH, Stardom, Big Japan, Dragon Gate and AAA got, which all ended with no deal in place. Logic would indicate Tony Khan would not have cut that video thinking this deal is going to happen any time soon, so it’s more likely than not this deal isn’t happening," he wrote.

The video Meltzer mentioned was the AEW president cutting a promo going over all the New Japan talent that has been in AEW and that he has more plans for the New Japan U.S. title, joking that there is only room for one Khan in pro wrestling.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I didn't know WWE had tried to buy Dragon Gate, AAA, and Big Japan. I knew about their failed attempts to buy STARDOM and Pro Wrestling NOAH, and I know they backed away from talks of buying AJPW because their media library rights are a hot mess (split between the promotion itself and multiple different current and former media partners).

Big Japan wouldn't have been a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, they're much more indie and more of a deathmatch promotion. But if they'd bought Dragon Gate it would have been a pretty huge deal.