Rush's promotion in Mexico?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Rush's promotion in Mexico?

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:19 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 pm Cmll announced it has split from roh
Just yesterday Commander said ROH was affiliated with CMLL and wouldn’t do anything with these guys. Here we are 1 day later....
CMLL freaked out when Taven was announced.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

CMLL can't have expected ROH to tell Taven he can't take a booking. If CMLL wanted Taven they should have had something on paper with him.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Gonna miss último guerrero.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

This just opens ROH up to using some pretty good mexican indy guys now.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:29 pm CMLL can't have expected ROH to tell Taven he can't take a booking. If CMLL wanted Taven they should have had something on paper with him.
Terribly run company so we shouldn't be surprised.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Maybe andrade chancing of going to roh just went up
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:33 pm Gonna miss último guerrero.
And his mullet.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shanahan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:39 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:29 pm CMLL can't have expected ROH to tell Taven he can't take a booking. If CMLL wanted Taven they should have had something on paper with him.
Terribly run company so we shouldn't be surprised.
They should have let Sofia Alonso modernize the company in 2019. Then they'd still have Rush, Dragon Lee, Bandido, and LA Park among others.

CMLL sticks with what they know. 88 years of inertia is hard to overcome. It's easy to forget that CMLL is like 3 decades older than Vince McMahon's earliest predecessor to WWE.

But much like WWE, CMLL is in a position to be insulated from much of the consequences of their refusal to change. WWE has the media deals to prop them up, CMLL has all of their venues and history. As long as they are staging wrestling shows on Friday nights at Arena Mexico, a few thousand people will be there regardless (in non-pandemic times, obviously).
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

via Luchablog's twitter

One of the silhouettes on one of the posters is clearly CMLL's Diamante Azul.

Interestingly, Diamante Azul is one of the wrestlers who had his ring name trademarked under Paco Alonso's own name rather than CMLL. When Paco died his daughter Sofia inherited all of his trademarks, so she owns the Diamante Azul name. So if he is announced as Diamante Azul, it's a good indication that Sofia Alonso is involved. If he is announced under a new name or his real name, that would indicate she's not involved.
Montana

Post by Montana »

So maybe it will stream on HonorClub after all.

I'm too not surprised by this. I was thinking yesterday; the ROH & CMLL relationship hasn't been that much over the last 5 years. último guerrero had maybe 10-12 matches; and a few others. Taven/Kenny King would go over to CMLL. Then they did the CMLL / ROH war of the worlds tour in 2019. Really hasn't been much else. SLightly more than ROH and RevPro. It's really too bad ROH/NJPW/CMLL/REV Pro couldn't all get on the same sheet to become a worldwide force.

I think the more interesting piece will be to see where NJPW falls in all of this. Will they still continue their working relationship with CMLL; or will they side with ROH & Rush's promotion? My gut is telling me; the way CMLL acts like a child breaking a relationship literally a day after Taven was announced; that NJPW will not be happy with them. Also i assume NJPW will value names like Dragon Lee; Andrade, Bandido , etc a WHOLE lot more than anyone in CMLL. I don't see NJPW being real public about any splits.

This split could be a good thing for ROH at least in the short term. Guess it kind of depends how things go with NJPW.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NJPW and CMLL will probably be fine. NJPW works with AEW, MLW, and Impact and all three of those promotions work with AAA. NJPW kept booking Lio Rush even when he had the AAA Cruiserweight belt.

At best CMLL will just prohibit their talent from working with ROH talent on NJPW cards.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The Paypal address associated with this new promotion is brutalsexmusic@gmail.com.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that isn't Sofia Alonso, haha. Sounds like a concert promoter as luchablog speculated.

Also the press conference had serious audio issues and they have some typos on their match listings.

One notable thing was that PJ Black is advertised for the main event. Presumably he's healthy (or will be by late June) and he'll be back in ROH soon, then.

Also Andrade is listed as an LFI member.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

This probably will be more similar to CRASH than anything.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

dhads7161 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:16 pm This probably will be more similar to CRASH than anything.
I'd be surprised if they run 10 shows before they go under.

They booked a lot of high end talent. To pay all those people they will have to sell quite a lot of $20 PPVs.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah; sounds like they have a "Partnership" with ROH & AEW.

IF they get a major investor; this could be a big deal for Mexican wrestling.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Apparently the zoom thing turned bush league right off the bat
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So the following ROH or ROH associated stars have been announced for the show, according to FW’s Facebook:

- RUSH
- Dragon Lee
- Bestia
- Rey Horus
- Flamita
- Bandido
- Kenny King
- Shane Taylor
- Matt Taven
- PJ Black

Think we’ll see anymore added before the show on the 19th?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I dunno but the PPV price for this thing in Mexico is higher than any CMLL show and every AAA show ever except the last four Triplemanias.

They're also working a 5000+ seat venue (not sure how many they're allowed to sell but maybe all since it's open air).

This has the potential to fail spectacularly.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Ticket sales were slow and the website where you could order the PPV was shady and confusing.

It was clear there was no money behind it. I was briefly intrigued at the Sofia Alonso rumors, but clearly those didn't pan out.