Rush's promotion in Mexico?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Rush's promotion in Mexico?

Post by Montana »

Hearing a lot of rumblings about Rush starting a promotion in Mexico. Think it's pretty safe to say these wrestlers will be a major part of it:

Rush
Dragon Lee
Bestia Del Ring
Andrade

maybe's
Bandido
Flamita
Rey Horus
Kenny King
and a few names from AAA, Psycho Clown i believe.

Is this going to be AEW 2.0 in a year or two here??? Or probably more likely I assume a working partnership with this promotion; as it's in Mexico.

What's your thoughts on this?
kovs27

Re: Rush's promotion in Mexico?

Post by kovs27 »

Montana wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:34 am Hearing a lot of rumblings about Rush starting a promotion in Mexico. Think it's pretty safe to say these wrestlers will be a major part of it:

Rush
Dragon Lee
Bestia Del Ring
Andrade

maybe's
Bandido
Flamita
Rey Horus
Kenny King

Is this going to be AEW 2.0 in a year or two here??? Or probably more likely I assume a working partnership with this promotion; as it's in Mexico.

I'm pretty sure Psycho Clown can't due to his AAA contract.

To be able to challenge CMLL or AAA without TV in Mexico sounds impossible. Could it become a top indy, sure but with the pandemic they can't bring in enough fans to make it viable any time soon.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Wrestler owned promotions come and go all the time in Mexico. I won't believe this one is the real deal until they have two years worth of shows under their belt. Usually there is hype at the beginning and then all the money dries up. It just happened last year with ADR and Chavo's Nacion Lucha Libre.

The top end stars in Mexico are getting to be too expensive for even CMLL and AAA to sign exclusively. A new competitor will find it hard to get a foothold when CMLL owns all their own venues and AAA has so much media visibility.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I’ve asked this question to people with more inside knowledge than myself and the answer seems the same. It’s likely to just be a small promotion to feed their own egos really. In the end though, as with all things wrestling it will depend on money and wether or not that can be sustained. He’s currently I imagine on a healthy contract in ROH, as is Lee so their ability to continue to fund a project is there.

I think for RUSH it gives him the freedom to have matches that politically might be difficult to do in the US, or with other promotions in Mexico. This basically creates an Avenue for him to face LA Parka any time he wants without too many worries. It also gives him a place to wrestle in off time which is a lot more now considering the way ROH is taping.

Maybe I’m slightly ultraistic in my thinking but I do get the sense that this is a hope to create something where wrestlers in Mexico are treated in a much better way than they are for CMLL currently.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Just like in other sports and businesses, everyone thinks they have the answer and can do it better.
Montana

Post by Montana »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:18 am
Montana wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:34 am Hearing a lot of rumblings about Rush starting a promotion in Mexico. Think it's pretty safe to say these wrestlers will be a major part of it:

Rush
Dragon Lee
Bestia Del Ring
Andrade

maybe's
Bandido
Flamita
Rey Horus
Kenny King

I'm pretty sure Psycho Clown can't due to his AAA contract.

To be able to challenge CMLL or AAA without TV in Mexico sounds impossible. Could it become a top indy, sure but with the pandemic they can't bring in enough fans to make it viable any time soon.
There was a report he was looking to either get out of his contract; OR basically leave when his contract was up. Ultimately ending up with Rush's promotion. No clue how true this is.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AEW 2.0 ?? nah.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Well... 2.0 in the way that ROH talent leaving to start their own company. I assume LFI staying for now, but if there promotion starts picking up, they are going to greatly reduce ROH dates, if not stop all together. Not to mention their connections with a ton of Mexican talent Inside and outside of ROH from Mexico.

I don’t follow CMLL and AAA that closely by any means, but I thought CMLL has tons of management issues, and AAA had their own problems. Not that I see this potential new promotion replacing them, but it might gain some traction, if they can get it off the ground.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 am Well... 2.0 in the way that ROH talent leaving to start their own company. I assume LFI staying for now, but if there promotion starts picking up, they are going to greatly reduce ROH dates, if not stop all together. Not to mention their connections with a ton of Mexican talent Inside and outside of ROH from Mexico.

I don’t follow CMLL and AAA that closely by any means, but I thought CMLL has tons of management issues, and AAA had their own problems. Not that I see this potential new promotion replacing them, but it might gain some traction, if they can get it off the ground.
Even if they get to the point where they can sign Mexican talent to deals, chances are said deals will not limit where they can appear outside Mexico.

This is likely much ado about nothing. They aren't going to walk away from ROH deals to sign with a start up. The pay scale that would take is just too high. No start up is going to walk right in and compete with CMLL and AAA.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

It's good as ROH Mexico branch.
Even ROH miss relationship with CMLL.
Montana

Post by Montana »

https://411mania.com/wrestling/mexicos- ... -ppv-june/

Not a bad start for a first PPV. This could be really good.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Matt Taven has been announced for the show.

Technically he's free to take this booking as he was never signed to CMLL, but this is definitely meant to be a shot across the bow of CMLL by the people behind this thing. Taven was extremely over in CMLL and they will definitely take note of this.

There are very unsubstantiated rumors going around that Sofia Alonso, great granddaughter of CMLL founder Salvador Lutteroth, is part of the money behind this thing. Alonso took over CMLL briefly when her father died, but just a few weeks into her reign on the job the rest of the family essentially staged a coup to force her out. They were all mad that she was trying to modernize CMLL; expand more into the US, allow CMLL talents to work more independent dates, pay talent more, etc. Rush and Dragon Lee both said they would have stayed with CMLL if she had remained in power.

If Sofia Alonso really is involved, the chances of this thing succeeding are a lot higher. She knows the details of all of CMLL's operations and even though she's a black sheep of the family, I'm sure she still has access to a lot of the generational wealth accumulated in the last 86 years.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I was just reading about this on Luchablog. They are having a press conference which may announce some more names. I hope they live stream it on Youtube or Facebook.
Montana

Post by Montana »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:02 pm I was just reading about this on Luchablog. They are having a press conference which may announce some more names. I hope they live stream it on Youtube or Facebook.
Wouldn't be mad with that...or maybe HonorClub?"
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:21 pm
kovs27 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:02 pm I was just reading about this on Luchablog. They are having a press conference which may announce some more names. I hope they live stream it on Youtube or Facebook.
ROH isn't going to do anything official with these guys. They're still affiliated with CMLL.
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:24 pm
Montana wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:21 pm
ROH isn't going to do anything official with these guys. They're still affiliated with CMLL.
Good point... guess time will tells how it all shakes out.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'd love for the first event to be streamed on HonorClub but yeah fammi is right, ROH isn't going to go against CMLL at this stage.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Cmll announced it has split from roh
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 pm Cmll announced it has split from roh
Just yesterday Commander said ROH was affiliated with CMLL and wouldn’t do anything with these guys. Here we are 1 day later....
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:19 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 pm Cmll announced it has split from roh
Just yesterday Commander said ROH was affiliated with CMLL and wouldn’t do anything with these guys. Here we are 1 day later....
I would assume they are working with the new company in Mexico