20th Anniversary seems like a good time for an inaugural Hall of Fame Class. Who should be in it?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

20th Anniversary seems like a good time for an inaugural Hall of Fame Class. Who should be in it?

Post by famicommander »

Next year will be the 20th Anniversary of Ring of Honor. It seems like the perfect time to start their own Hall of Fame. TNA did theirs at the 10th anniversary.

Who do you think should make up the initial class, and how many people do you think should be in it? Should any deceased wrestlers go in on the first class? What about people that are currently working for WWE like Corino, Joe, AJ, and so many others? Guys that are in AEW like Colt or Daniels? People that are probably still pissed at ROH like Whitmer? People with troubling allegations like Gabe or Aries?

Should they include only people that are definitely retired for good or anybody deserving?

I think five people for the first class would be a good start. Assuming they won't go for anybody currently affiliated with WWE or AEW, here is my first class:
Cary Silkin - kept the promotion alive and salvaged its reputation after the Feinstein stuff, got it in position to be sold to Sinclair
CM Punk - One of the biggest stars to ever come through, not currently employed by a rival
The Briscoes - since day one
Sumie Sakai - very few people have done more for ROH and she'd break up the rest of the all white dude first class

Guys like Danielson or Joe can headline their own classes when they've moved on from WWE.

I think AEW would probably be cool about letting a guy like Daniels go into the HOF if ROH asked but that doesn't have to be right away either. CD could easily headline his own class.
roacheyyy

Re: 20th Anniversary seems like a good time for an inaugural Hall of Fame Class. Who should be in it?

Post by roacheyyy »

Danielson easily but if they go non-WWE then has to be The Briscoes
Lynx

Re: 20th Anniversary seems like a good time for an inaugural Hall of Fame Class. Who should be in it?

Post by Lynx »

CM Punk sounds like an obvious name to start it, that is if he wants to.
Montana

Post by Montana »

So many names... I'd probably start with:

Danielson, Christopher Daniels, & Low Ki

Next Year

CM Punk , Samoa Joe

Next Year

The Briscoes & NIgel

Next Year

Homicide, Austin Aires, Colt Cabana

Next Year

Roderick Strong, Davey Richards
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Starting with Daniels, Ki and Danielson is a great idea
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I don't see any way that Low Ki is being recognized during his life. He's got the Davey Richards persona non grata status, plus the current regime has never even been arsed to release a compilation of his work - something that was done for Austin Aries.

Danielson's deal is up this year, so it's plausible he'd be available. I don't see AEW ultimately having any issues with allowing contracted talents to be a part of this.

Candidates for first ballot based on availability:

Chris Hero
CM Punk
Colt Cabana
Homicide
Paul London
Austin Aries
Lacey
Jimmy Jacobs
BJ Whitmer
Christopher Daniels
Jay Lethal
Eddie Edwards
Rocky Romero
KENTA
Takeshi Morishima
The Briscoes
Young Bucks
The Embassy 2004-06
Matt Sydal
Delirious
Cary Silkin
Bobby Cruise
Todd Sinclair
Dave Prazak
Lenny Leonard
Mary-Kate Anthony

In addition, I'd either open or headline the 20th anniversary with Jay vs. Red... and for an alternate headline, if somehow things changed dramatically, headline with what was supposed to be the 100th Show main event of Ki vs. Danielson vs. Daniels II.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I don't see any way Sumie is not the first woman inducted.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I realise availability is a slight issue here but I am surprised not to see Corino's name mentioned, he is up there in importance as many of the originals for me.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

BurningHammer wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:42 am I realise availability is a slight issue here but I am surprised not to see Corino's name mentioned, he is up there in importance as many of the originals for me.
I mentioned him in the first post. I think he definitely gets in at some point, it's just a question of his WWE ties and timing.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:26 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:42 am I realise availability is a slight issue here but I am surprised not to see Corino's name mentioned, he is up there in importance as many of the originals for me.
I mentioned him in the first post. I think he definitely gets in at some point, it's just a question of his WWE ties and timing.
Yeah I should have said that I was surprised not to see his name more. I feel he’s a lot more important than people believe or see. I felt he was instrumental and getting Homicide to a whole new level.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I've had this idea for a few years and always said if they ever start one it should be the three competitors from the first show's main event. Low Ki, "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels, and "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson.
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

roacheyyy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:25 am Starting with Daniels, Ki and Danielson is a great idea
It would be fitting since they main evented the very first show.