Official 19th Anniversary Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Official 19th Anniversary Thread

Post by cgstong »

If you are purchasing this, please use our LINK HERE to help out the forum and site

Matches announced:

ROH World Championship
RUSH (c) vs. Jay Lethal

EC3 vs. Jay Briscoe
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Lynx

Re: Official 19th Anniversary Thread

Post by Lynx »

Not really a fan of how Rush/Lethal was set up. I get it, Lethal is the "franchise" and ingobernables are feuding against the foundation, but maybe they should have done the set up a bit better? By this I mean that Jay/EC3 obviously had their own thing going and Taven was distracted by people from his own personal feud. So Lethal winning the match felt a bit like third most important thing that happened in it? That shouldn't be the case with world title shot.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It was certainly a danger I felt could happen, that said I think they are trying to weaken Lethal overall to strengthen Gresham in the long run. There is something in me that we could get a finger poke of doom moment where Lethal joins LFI in someway.

Overall I thought the 4 way was excellent for furthering so many issues, though I think we could have done without the Von Star part of it all, and if there is another episode devoted to these three issues, I think they’ve done as well as they can generally. This is where so much could be done with two hours every week but we’ve done that to death.

Williams vs Lee makes a tone of sense, we’ve got Dalton vs Gresham, then we need a tag team title match and a three man title match.
Montana

Post by Montana »

So far we got:

ROH World Championship
RUSH (c) vs. Jay Lethal

EC3 vs. Jay Briscoe

TV Title

Dragon Lee vs. Tracy WIlliams

6 Man Titles
Shane Taylor Promotions vs. Mexasquad

Tag titles & Pure Championship to be defended.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:04 am Taven vs vincent https://youtu.be/4CHE16uZxPA
ok,that was cool and im into it.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Stupid to do a cinematic match. ROH is supposed to be setting itself apart from the garbage sports entertainment promotions. WWE, Impact, AEW, and MLW have all done cinematic matches recently and they all sucked monkey ass.

But even if they do a "good" cinematic match it still goes against everything Ring of Honor should be.
Montana

Post by Montana »

With that same logic though; ROH shouldn't allow chair shots... and remove all hardcore wrestling because it goes against their sports themed product. The reason ROH and other companies do stuff like this is the reach a wider audience. If you open a restaurant, and only serve one dish... your not going to get as many customers as if you had a multiple things on the menu. Your bashing the idea ; because you don't like "sushi' let's say. But you haven't tried/seen what ROH can do with it yet even. Let them try and what happens. If not; your literally getting the same match as Final Battle 2019. Probably with a handful of "hardcore" spots; that AGAIN....goes against this "sports" themed product. It's not like Taven/Vincent are having a pure style wrestling match.

Not to mention... there are ZERO fans right now watching these matches live. So who cares if they tape it in the ring; or some other ring with cinematic effects. Hell... Vincent's match would probably be better like this anyways.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I hope it works as I’d rather see stuff like this than some stupid garbage match with kendosticks trash cans etc, that always seem to create situations that feel totally out of place in an ROH ring. Honestly if I were a company looking to take a more realistic approach to hardcore matches etc I think cinematic matches can really work. I think the last hardcore match I truly loved was HHH vs Cactus.

A little thing you also have to take into account is, if ROH is regularly going to tape in Baltimore blood is a big no no, this at least opens up the chance to deepen the violence in this match.

I think as a character Vinny suites such stylings, I would never go as far as the Fiend but I would certainly try and characterise him with these matches.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

How is a match shot like a movie where they don't acknowledge the camera more realistic than someone hitting someone else with a kendo stick?
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:37 am How is a match shot like a movie where they don't acknowledge the camera more realistic than someone hitting someone else with a kendo stick?
How do you know they aren’t acknowledging the camera, also ROH aren’t sanctioning it doesn’t mean they can’t film it. At the moment we’ve just seen a slick video package, we have seen anything from the match yet. Also I’ve seen bare buckle fighting in a backyard with cameras do they make the punches know out any less real no.

Unless you carry them around as a gimmick there is rarely any sensible reason as to why there is kendo stick underneath a ring.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:10 am
famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:37 am How is a match shot like a movie where they don't acknowledge the camera more realistic than someone hitting someone else with a kendo stick?
How do you know they aren’t acknowledging the camera, also ROH aren’t sanctioning it doesn’t mean they can’t film it. At the moment we’ve just seen a slick video package, we have seen anything from the match yet. Also I’ve seen bare buckle fighting in a backyard with cameras do they make the punches know out any less real no.

Unless you carry them around as a gimmick there is rarely any sensible reason as to why there is kendo stick underneath a ring.
One line on commentary, "He must have put that under there before the show"
Montana

Post by Montana »

Very few TV/Movies acknowledge they are being filmed; other than reality shows. I don't think them talking to the camera; would make it all that much more realistic to me. Just try to enjoy it; and not try question every little aspect of it. You'll be a much happier wrestling fan, if you can do that.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:12 am
BurningHammer wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:10 am
How do you know they aren’t acknowledging the camera, also ROH aren’t sanctioning it doesn’t mean they can’t film it. At the moment we’ve just seen a slick video package, we have seen anything from the match yet. Also I’ve seen bare buckle fighting in a backyard with cameras do they make the punches any less real, no.

One line on commentary, "He must have put that under there before the show"
It such a lame duck, if I’m going to hurt someone I’m brining a hammer, it’s just so ‘bad wrestling’ to have a Kendo Stick in general in any No DQ match. Things like that have its day in ROH, if your going to use weapons, use a ladder chairs, chains etc something that can be used to help put together a wrestling show. Then if your brining in a weapon make it part of the story it will mean more.

This whole match means more to me in this format instead of seeing another redundant Fight Without Honor. Again ROH isn’t sanctioning it so therefore it should be outside of an ROH ring.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:26 am Stupid to do a cinematic match. ROH is supposed to be setting itself apart from the garbage sports entertainment promotions. WWE, Impact, AEW, and MLW have all done cinematic matches recently and they all sucked monkey ass.

But even if they do a "good" cinematic match it still goes against everything Ring of Honor should be.
A (pre-COVID) empty area match isn’t necessarily a “cinematic” match. I am holding out hope that they don’t jump into a played out field and present the 4th best version of Broken Matt Hardy circa 2016
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

The 19th anniversary show looks good, but not like it will be a great show. I really would have expected them to come out swinging for the fences, like this is one of the top ten most important shows in the company history, and they definitely aren’t going that route. I would wager the show is solid, well worth watching, but there is no buzz going into it, nor would I expect any coming out of it. ROH needs more of a “sell the sizzle” mentality so to speak, at this point with all the competition more so than ever.

I had to be negative ahead of what looks to be a fine show, but they really needed to go for more right now in my opinion, it feels like a rare opportunity that is being missed.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Happy with the overall card, everything has a tangible to it which is always important. All in its a card that should help create more for the future than giving up something big in the present.

As long as the match quality is there like Final Battle and the booking follows the sensible trend it has sans the interference, it’s another step forward for ROH in delivering PPV’s that will make me happy enough for now.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think the card looks incredible

Ring of Honor World Championship:
Rush (c) vs Jay Lethal

Ring of Honor World Television Championship:
Dragon Lee (c) vs Tracy Williams

Ring of Honor Pure Wrestling Championship:
Jonathan Gresham (c) vs Dak Draper

Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championship:
La Faccion Ingobernable (Kenny King and Dragon Lee) (c) vs The Foundation (Tracy Williams and Rhett Titus

Ring of Honor World Six Man Tag Team Championship:
Shane Taylor Promotions (Shane Taylor and the Soldiers of Savagery, Moses and Kaun) vs MexiSquad (Bandido, Flamita, and Rey Horus)

Unsanctioned:
Matt Taven vs Vincent

Jay Briscoe vs EC3

Pure Rules:
Dalton Castle vs Josh Woods

Mark Briscoe vs Flip Gordon

Brian Johnson vs LSG vs Danhausen vs Eli Isom

A lot of the top guys in the company in singles matches. If they're given the time and fuckery is kept to a minimum this could be one of the best work rate cards of the year.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

It is a good card - for ROH fans. Why would someone who isn’t a ROH fan already order it though?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:16 am It is a good card - for ROH fans. Why would someone who isn’t a ROH fan already order it though?
It's an Anniversary Show. The literal purpose of it is to celebrate the company and its fans. Supercard of Honor is the card to make splashy moves for, if they're going to make any. There's not many splashy moves out there to be made at the moment anyway. It's not like they're gonna pay CM Punk 10 million dollars or anything.