Official 19th Anniversary Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Official 19th Anniversary Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

The show is getting postitive reviews from fans that never watched the product before or havent watched in awhile
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

How could anyone not like Rush vs Lethal or EC3 vs Briscoe?

If someone watched those matches and didn't like them, they're not the kind of fans that will ever "get" Ring of Honor and it's a waste of time to court their attention. They'll never be able to "out-casual" AEW or WWE.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Bunch of people commenting live seemed to think EC3 match was too long and exposed EC3 as not up to ROH standards. Tbf the PWT review was the first negative review i saw for Rush / Lethal, and it seemed like the writer just has no interest in Rush.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

maxx_powerz wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:37 am
indyfan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:41 am i found only one review for the show in wrestling media. i was hoping 411 would have a review up by now. But they dont. i know it doesnt matter that much but there are still fans on the fence and i know many wait for the reviews to see what matches to check out.
Don't know if you saw the same one as me, I saw a detailed review on PW Torch. They hated EC3 / Briscoe and didn't much care for Rush / Lethal although it seems like there was an existing anti- Rush agenda there. Ambivalent on Taven / Vincent, treated it like segment / angle rather than a match with a rating. High marks for the lucha triple threat, Pure title match and they liked the closing segment. Which I have to say seems more in line with the reaction I was seeing on Wreddit / Twitter so I don't know if the show was as much of a hit with casuals as it seems to have been here.
Wow i just read that one. What buzz kill reviewer he is. i feel hes off the mark. that wasnt the one i read. HOW COULD ANYONE HATE lethal vs Rush. ?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

indyfan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:14 am
indyfan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:41 am i found only one review for the show in wrestling media. i was hoping 411 would have a review up by now. But they dont. i know it doesnt matter that much but there are still fans on the fence and i know many wait for the reviews to see what matches to check out.
Don't know if you saw the same one as me, I saw a detailed review on PW Torch. They hated EC3 / Briscoe and didn't much care for Rush / Lethal although it seems like there was an existing anti- Rush agenda there. Ambivalent on Taven / Vincent, treated it like segment / angle rather than a match with a rating. High marks for the lucha triple threat, Pure title match and they liked the closing segment. Which I have to say seems more in line with the reaction I was seeing on Wreddit / Twitter so I don't know if the show was as much of a hit with casuals as it seems to have been here.
Wow i just read that one. What buzz kill reviewer he is. i feel hes off the mark. that wasnt the one i read. HOW COULD ANYONE HATE lethal vs Rush. ?
Not enough 60 year old men, basketball players, or rappers.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

famicommander wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:15 am
indyfan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:14 am

Not enough 60 year old men, basketball players, or rappers.
Hahaha. exactly. Heres a more positive review i found this morning

https://prowrestling.net/site/2021/03/2 ... ec3-vs-ja/

heres another positive one i just found

https://www.f4wonline.com/roh-results/r ... tch-336961
Montana

Post by Montana »

It's good the overall reviews have been positive, but i'm surprised people saying the show was "too long" It didn't feel long to me. A 3 hour raw, felt a lot longer than this. I did notice there was very little filler. Almost no time for a bathroom break. One match ends, another starts quickly. I guess in theory, it's basically a 4 hour PPV, and the first hour is free. Instead of a 3 hour PPV with a 1 hour preshow. In theory, you could have watched the show in two parts. Although the show felt like each match was better than the next.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I’ve never heard or seen of Bill Carr before? Is he supposed to be special or good?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:38 am I’ve never heard or seen of Bill Carr before? Is he supposed to be special or good?
I know nothing about him. I don't think I've ever seen him before last night.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:38 am I’ve never heard or seen of Bill Carr before? Is he supposed to be special or good?
He’s certainly good hand and experienced pro, on his day he can be a very impressive big man, he’s what you’d hope the Bouncers to be really and aren’t. He’s been in a tag team with Dan Barry for a long time now as Team Tremendous, they base a lot of their work around comedy but they are able to mix up it quite a bit when they want. If you want to check out as much of their stuff as possible then look into Beyond, CZW and I think Brian Myers promotion (which name escapes right now)

I think my favourite complaint so far has been ‘why no fans’ I literally burst out laughing.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:07 pm What an odd mix for Brody. But ROH loves factions that have absolutely nothing in common so that checks the boxes of Delirious. So thrilled for Rhett. Excellent main event match. The most shocking thing was Doug Gentry's name on Dee's t-shirt. Good show, not great, and jesus christ Matt Taven and Vincent should be sentenced to prison for that.
Odd mix? Nothing in common?? Please explain this to me because i think it makes perfect sense.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I’m finishing up the event. Super weak submission hold by Rhett. Didn’t look like he was hurting Bestia one bit. Not sure whose fault that is, but terrible
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Jordynne Grace retweeted the announcement of the women's tournament and added a comment about forbidden doors. Possibly some Impact women in the tournament?

I don't really want ROH to be associated with Impact but there's no denying ROH desperately needs women's talent and Impact has it.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:47 am Jordynne Grace retweeted the announcement of the women's tournament and added a comment about forbidden doors. Possibly some Impact women in the tournament?

I don't really want ROH to be associated with Impact but there's no denying ROH desperately needs women's talent and Impact has it.
ive seen impact fans mad at her for doing that because they dont want impact to have anything to do with roh
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:50 am
famicommander wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:47 am Jordynne Grace retweeted the announcement of the women's tournament and added a comment about forbidden doors. Possibly some Impact women in the tournament?

ive seen impact fans mad at her for doing that because they dont want impact to have anything to do with roh
The way the AEW relationship is going I don't blame Impact fans for not wanting more working agreements.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:51 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:50 am

The way the AEW relationship is going I don't blame Impact fans for not wanting more working agreements.
Its ironic given how those same fans didnt like roh and njpw partnership but are ok with how aew treating impact
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

There was a lot more mutual gain between ROH and NJPW. Several talents were already working for both promotions on their own. NJPW needed and greatly benefited from US TV/touring/PPV exposure. ROH got to run shows in Japan, use Bullet Club trademarks on their shows, and use high end talent for extended runs including Kushida, Jay White, Hiromu Takahashi, EVIL, etc. Not to mention the supercards.

Comparatively, AEW has very little to gain from Impact. They're very similar promotions philosophy-wise and presentation-wise, they cover the same markets, they were even airing Dark up against Impact until they announced the upcoming move to Thursdays for Impact. AEW is just more popular. Basically what AEW is getting out of this is Kenny getting to pal around with Callis and the Good Brothers while he picks up another world title. Impact is getting buried for an exposure pop that has already dissipated (the most recent episode of Impact was the lowest viewership of the year despite Omega being advertised in advance).
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:57 am
famicommander wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:51 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:50 am ive seen impact fans mad at her for doing that because they dont want impact to have anything to do with roh
Its ironic given how those same fans didnt like roh and njpw partnership but are ok with how aew treating impact
AEW is the new kid on the block. They are ok being used and abused because AEW is "cool". Callis booking himself and Omega like this should be illegal (lol). To put yourself & your friend over your own company is bad for business and will kill Impact faster than Russo or Dixie could have.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

We've already established that nothing can kill Impact. Remember, they were getting 8000 viewers per week on Pursuit until Anthem bought an entire cable network just to have a place to air Impact. There's no backing off from that commitment. Unless Anthem itself goes out of business (extremely unlikely) or gets bought entirely (possible but no signs of that) Impact will keep on airing even if their viewership dwindles to nothing.

They can certainly continue to soil their brand and drive every last fan away, but Impact itself just won't die. I've written them off myself three or four times and somehow they never go away.

Same can be said for AAA, really. They should have gone out of business like 37 times by now.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

lets talk about roh guys.