Official 19th Anniversary Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Official 19th Anniversary Thread

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:22 pm
Shanahan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:07 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Homicide is the lone person in the group who makes sense in the confines of ROH's universe. Deppen, and Dickinson make zero sense to anyone that doesn't know them from outside of ROH, especially considering Deppen has been wrestling regular matches in ROH so far. The Inner Circle is a completely different animal but the way it was explained, and played out made perfect sense. This literally just happened 20 hours ago although I knew Dee was kind of doing something, because he has no idea how social media works. I don't know why you always want to play off this well if it was AEW it would be acceptable cop out. The two companies aren't in the same stratosphere.
ROH already did one of those in-depth sit down interviews with Deppen on TV when he debuted where he talked about being know as the crazy guy on the indies and how he wanted to show people he could actually wrestle. Ian & Caprice mentioned it during his matches. Then he went from being in Pure Title Tourney to being on PPV and then being left off the next PPV and he was angry. The angle had people on here and other forums thinking Brody was leaving and asking what is going on with Deppen/ROH. Well, now we know what is going on and it totally worked. Dickinson makes sense...a lot of people who watch ROH know or have heard or seen a Dickinson match. If they have no idea who he is...well they'll get to know him real quick and they'll enjoy the dude. You are WAAAAAAAY off on this complaint.

So you book Tony Deppen, hot indy wrestler guy who never really did the ultra violent stuff until covid, as a pure wrestler he fails and becomes a violent person without any context inside of the tv show? OK. Brody signed a deal at the end of last year, they put out a press release stating as such, right at the same time they did PCO. This isn't Impact where deals last 6 days or 3 weeks or whatever nonsense they would pull with Tom Latimer. You mentioned a lot of individual characteristics, including 2 people who were on tv and not together, and 2 people not seen in the company in years, there's no way to connect the dots. Nobody is a bigger fan of the filthy father aka the dirty daddy than me. But I'm not willing to stretch the logic that far and bite on this one until they tell the story.
BTW i love how you say Brody signed a new deal and everyone should of seen the press release but also say no one watching ROH will know who Dickinson is. Which is it? Smart up to date fans or just fans who only watch the TV Show.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I will take bad storylines over watching aew product because there no really telling a story in the ring its all spot after spot and every damn ppv match goes thirty plus minutes there a reason every aew ppv ive seen from them ends with me having a headache
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:28 pm

ROH already did one of those in-depth sit down interviews with Deppen on TV when he debuted where he talked about being know as the crazy guy on the indies and how he wanted to show people he could actually wrestle. Ian & Caprice mentioned it during his matches. Then he went from being in Pure Title Tourney to being on PPV and then being left off the next PPV and he was angry. The angle had people on here and other forums thinking Brody was leaving and asking what is going on with Deppen/ROH. Well, now we know what is going on and it totally worked. Dickinson makes sense...a lot of people who watch ROH know or have heard or seen a Dickinson match. If they have no idea who he is...well they'll get to know him real quick and they'll enjoy the dude. You are WAAAAAAAY off on this complaint.

So you book Tony Deppen, hot indy wrestler guy who never really did the ultra violent stuff until covid, as a pure wrestler he fails and becomes a violent person without any context inside of the tv show? OK. Brody signed a deal at the end of last year, they put out a press release stating as such, right at the same time they did PCO. This isn't Impact where deals last 6 days or 3 weeks or whatever nonsense they would pull with Tom Latimer. You mentioned a lot of individual characteristics, including 2 people who were on tv and not together, and 2 people not seen in the company in years, there's no way to connect the dots. Nobody is a bigger fan of the filthy father aka the dirty daddy than me. But I'm not willing to stretch the logic that far and bite on this one until they tell the story.
Deepen has been doing hardcore matches (falls count anywhere,ladder matches,anything goes,TLC) for YEARS. He didn't just start when covid hit.
You just explained to chrisvegas about why inner circle made sense so when brody explains why he got together with them i will wait for you to admit you were wrong or you can continue to be a biased troll.
The difference is comparing apples to hand grenades. Inner Circle was built around the champion, a staple of Dusty style booking for 40 years. 99.9999999% saw that and didn't need an explanation to justify it. Now you need an explanation to justify this.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:31 pm

BTW i love how you say Brody signed a new deal and everyone should of seen the press release but also say no one watching ROH will know who Dickinson is. Which is it? Smart up to date fans or just fans who only watch the TV Show.
It was not only mentioned on commentary, they put on the website. Dirt sheets picked it up as well, all bases were covered with this info.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:13 pm

Deepen has been doing hardcore matches (falls count anywhere,ladder matches,anything goes,TLC) for YEARS. He didn't just start when covid hit.
You just explained to chrisvegas about why inner circle made sense so when brody explains why he got together with them i will wait for you to admit you were wrong or you can continue to be a biased troll.
The difference is comparing apples to hand grenades. Inner Circle was built around the champion, a staple of Dusty style booking for 40 years. 99.9999999% saw that and didn't need an explanation to justify it. Now you need an explanation to justify this.
I dont need an explanation. The seeds were planted since October. You are the only person i've seen who has bitched about this and rest of the show.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Awesome.

also...keep posting reviews alex, you are great.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Can someone explain to me how these talents are contracted and performing for roh but none of that violence unlimited is not on roh shop website
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

We’ve already heard the justification for Brody doing this, his been reiterating the need to bring violence, to equal the numbers for months. Now he’s done it

Personally I see this as Kings representation of his journey in pro wrestling and his idea for wrestling in ROH. Interestingly I think they connect all sides of the many styles he has tried to perfect over the years.

If you don’t see it as cannon to ROH they you are basically saying ROH exists on its own in pro wrestling, which is just silly, I would say 90% of fans who watch ROH would know a wide amount amount of wrestling outside of ROH. Many who I’m sure have seen Dickinson, Deppen, Homicide over the years. Those that don’t will find out through the interviews and the story’s told.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:56 pm Can someone explain to me how these talents are contracted and performing for roh but none of that violence unlimited is not on roh shop website
They’ll be either on a pay per appearance deal which could be each time they wrestle or a straight fee for the week they are in the Bubble. Someone like Brody could be on a contract that gives him control over his merch totally or a percentage of this merch will go to ROH, similar to the Young Buck. Contracts are never just one thing in wrestling these days, many are very personal to the wrestler it seems
Montana

Post by Montana »

I don’t see how any ROH fan couldn’t at least like the PPV. Was it perfect, no.... but a really good show that seems like about 95%ish enjoyed.

If you didn’t enjoy the EC3 match ... well there’s 10 other matches. Same with the Taven match.

Instead of attacking others reviewers... maybe post your logical thoughts. My expectations on the Taven match weren’t met, but I explained that, and was still able to enjoy the show.

This whole ROH/AEW / Impact/ NJPW argument goes no where. Everyone has their favorites. Each of these companies is doing exactly what they want. We all know where they are at. As a wrestling fan... watching what you like is important, as there is tons of shows out there.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:40 pm I hope ROH has TV lined up that deals with aftermath of 19th Ann. I dont want filler episodes for 3 weeks like we had after Final Battle
Agreed... hopefully they learned their lesson. My guess is that they have, but we’ll have to wait and see.

If nothing else, throw some video clips/post production type stuff.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:44 am
Shanahan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:40 pm I hope ROH has TV lined up that deals with aftermath of 19th Ann. I dont want filler episodes for 3 weeks like we had after Final Battle
Agreed... hopefully they learned their lesson. My guess is that they have, but we’ll have to wait and see.

That’s the problem with ROH TV, this weekend’s episode probably has nothing to do with the PPV and they’re talking about it on Monday. Have to wait until next weekend to even reference it on TV. If your TV show airs on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, you’re basically wasting a week of programming. Just a throw away show.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:28 am I don’t see how any ROH fan couldn’t at least like the PPV. Was it perfect, no.... but a really good show that seems like about 95%ish enjoyed.

If you didn’t enjoy the EC3 match ... well there’s 10 other matches. Same with the Taven match.

Instead of attacking others reviewers... maybe post your logical thoughts. My expectations on the Taven match weren’t met, but I explained that, and was still able to enjoy the show.

This whole ROH/AEW / Impact/ NJPW argument goes no where. Everyone has their favorites. Each of these companies is doing exactly what they want. We all know where they are at. As a wrestling fan... watching what you like is important, as there is tons of shows out there.
I didn’t particularly care for the Taven match, but it was better than I thought it was going to be. Glad it wasn’t cartoony.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 am
Montana wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:44 am

That’s the problem with ROH TV, this weekend’s episode probably has nothing to do with the PPV and they’re talking about it on Monday. Have to wait until next weekend to even reference it on TV. If your TV show airs on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, you’re basically wasting a week of programming. Just a throw away show.
I'm ok with this because the show airs saturday night by me and they dont wanna spoil stuff for people who still order it over the weekend. You can still have a show that advances storylines for guys not on the PPV, which they did this weekend BUT if next weekend we get an episode where 19th Ann isn't mentioned then i will be really disappointed
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:03 pm

I dont need an explanation. The seeds were planted since October. You are the only person i've seen who has bitched about this and rest of the show.
On a pro-roh forum, it is very likely leniency will be given, I was critical 19 years ago, I'll be critical today.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm

On a pro-roh forum, it is very likely leniency will be given, I was critical 19 years ago, I'll be critical today.
i've been on other forums that aren't that kind to ROH and its still a unanimous YES to Brody's group. You are only one i've seen that said the group makes no sense and was just thrown together. You're not critical, you're biased.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:14 am I’m finishing up the event. Super weak submission hold by Rhett. Didn’t look like he was hurting Bestia one bit. Not sure whose fault that is, but terrible
This for sure. I was actually thinking up until this point that the match finishes were really good and some producer(s) needed a shout out, and usually that’s a little more backside than I like to pay attention to. The finish on the opener with Johnson was especially well laid out, but man alive that was one of the worst planned finishes to a match I can recall and whoever laid that out needs to not be making those calls moving forward.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Opening 4-way is ok, finish was good.

The 6-man tag was a decent match that told a good story and Kaun is someone to keep an eye on.

TV title was average/good. Hot Sauce has come across better, King is better than he’s generally given credit for but missing something.

Glad Dalton is sticking around, across the board the character work is hitting the mark. This may be the best ROH has ever been on the character side of things.

Briscoe vs EC3 was real good, and not cookie cutter. If you hated this, I can’t imagine how you’d be an ROH fan.

Mexisquad three way was a boost, off the chart in-ring, and told a good story. Great addition the show.

The Taven/Vincent match was a bit of a no win situation, but I think the biggest problem most people had with it was they were ready for this to be the blow off and it didn’t seem to be. I can’t imagine watching wrestling regularly and thinking this is at the bottom of what you’ve seen unless you came in biased.

I was not feeling the pure title match heading into it, but it was solid and Gresham is something special.

RUSH and Lethal was real good, and the champ got the match he really needed.

Ending segment is exciting. Brody got beat down and no one in the back came to help him so he reached out to the other disenfranchised wrestler and guys outside ROH to watch his back. Brody needs a group and this is worlds better than Flip or PCO jointing him, so if this wasn’t the way to go I don’t k is what is. This group doesn’t need a months long slow build.

Overall good show and I walked away more excited about the company moving forward than I was going in, so that’s a win.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:51 pm

i've been on other forums that aren't that kind to ROH and its still a unanimous YES to Brody's group. You are only one i've seen that said the group makes no sense and was just thrown together. You're not critical, you're biased.

How is one biased against 4 of his favorite wrestlers? Including one that's a personal friend and another I'd rate as the top guy in ROH for my tastes?
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm
Shanahan wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:51 pm

How is one biased against 4 of his favorite wrestlers? Including one that's a personal friend and another I'd rate as the top guy in ROH for my tastes?
Read your posts. Everyone's post is semi positive to positive about the ppv and then it's you shitting on Taven/Vincent match,EC3,The Brody Faction and saying to take a star away from every match other than the Main Event, meaning most of the matches were barely 3 stars which means it was a bad show. I like ROH,AEW,NJPW,MLW...ROH is #3 out of those 4 but man you make me defend them more than i want to because you are so overly critical