Official 19th Anniversary Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
NewROHFan2020

Re: Official 19th Anniversary Thread

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

It’s fine to be critical, as I don’t want a place where everyone is calling it the greatest PPV ever, every single time. But this guy is the kind that gives -10 stars to Flip matches because he is “anti-mask”
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I remember someone making multiple posts about how Brody was buried after Rush match. I'm somewhat not surprised that same person is now complaining about Brody's post main event angle. Next thing we know he'll be complaining about Brody winning the championship.

Anyway, about the show:

Opening hour was fine. Good choice on putting trios title match there, it was pretty good at showcasing STP and set up a hotter match for main card.

I liked TV title match and tag titles match was fine considering that Bestia was wrestling. But to be honest I'm somewhat baffled at Williams being double champ. To me he is not on that level. That + the way TV title match was handled after Dragon Lee pulled out left me, not disappointed, but not as excited as I'd be otherwise.

Flip/Briscoe was fine, I hope this finally results in Flip getting his title shot.

Dalton/Josh was good, but I'm not sure about Josh/Silas angle. They worked for me as a tag team and its not like we have many tag teams.

Jay/EC3 was surprising to me. From few EC3 matches that I have seen he didn't look like much and his work in RoH so far has been basically angles with minimal amount of wrestling. So yeah, match delivered. It wasn't great, but it was solid. I'm happy that, by the looks of it, Jay will be moving on. Whats next for EC3? Who knows, but I'll be less sceptical about that now.

Mexisquad doing Mexisquad things was very good.

Taven/Vincent was not as cringe as some other cinematic matches, but I wasn't pleased with it either way. First of all, while it was better than what other companies have done, I still think that its no place for them in RoH. And secondly, why this feud is still going on? Ugh. Probably second lowest point in this show for me.

Women announcement was fine, but then Allure walks out and its like, we starting from there again? 1 hour of TV and now we'll be giving time to Allure, great. Maybe at least they'll be sent packing by Quinn in short order, but watch this get dragged over next 8 months. Definitely lowest point of the show for me.

Gresham/Draper was my MOTN. Could it have been better? Sure, some details here and there could have improved the match, but overall Gresham is continuing to show why he is the man. Draper also showed that he can hang and probably should be moved to heavyweight title division, no?

Main event would have been as good as Gresham/Draper if not that chair shot. I get the idea why it was there and why ref hesitated to call for DQ, but still, I think that commentary team were putting over "ref is allowing things that he normally would stop" idea good enough before it happened. But other than that I really liked it and enjoyed post match angle.

Whats next? I don't see how RoH can fit everyone in 1 hour format so I hope that some specials are coming.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Shanahan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:14 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm
Shanahan wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:51 pm

i've been on other forums that aren't that kind to ROH and its still a unanimous YES to Brody's group. You are only one i've seen that said the group makes no sense and was just thrown together. You're not critical, you're biased.

How is one biased against 4 of his favorite wrestlers? Including one that's a personal friend and another I'd rate as the top guy in ROH for my tastes?
Read your posts. Everyone's post is semi positive to positive about the ppv and then it's you shitting on Taven/Vincent match,EC3,The Brody Faction and saying to take a star away from every match other than the Main Event, meaning most of the matches were barely 3 stars which means it was a bad show. I like ROH,AEW,NJPW,MLW...ROH is #3 out of those 4 but man you make me defend them more than i want to because you are so overly critical
Unlike people here, I have higher standards and that includes matches that include my friends in and outside of ROH. If I'm gonna bury a match or a talent, it's because I didn't like it. Last I checked, I never said my views were facts, they're opinions. It's not rocket science.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:26 am It’s fine to be critical, as I don’t want a place where everyone is calling it the greatest PPV ever, every single time. But this guy is the kind that gives -10 stars to Flip matches because he is “anti-mask”
LOL. Flip isn't -10 stars and he had one of the better matches on the PPV. The guy might be a complete idiot like every other anti-mask person. But I've long been not a fan of Flip Gordon, this isn't a recent development once people began wearing masks for covid.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Lynx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:43 am I remember someone making multiple posts about how Brody was buried after Rush match. I'm somewhat not surprised that same person is now complaining about Brody's post main event angle. Next thing we know he'll be complaining about Brody winning the championship.

Let me address you directly because you don't seem adult enough to address me specifically. 1. Brody was buried in the moment based upon how he lost. 2. I addressed specifically why I didn't like the post match angle, and not everyone needs a faction. In fact Brody is a big man and should be able to be booked to defeat people on his own. 3. The next ROH champion should be Brody King, will it be? Probably not.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shane Taylor should be the next champion, not Brody. Shane has been built for this perfectly and is much farther along in the development of his character than Brody.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:56 pm Shane Taylor should be the next champion, not Brody. Shane has been built for this perfectly and is much farther along in the development of his character than Brody.
Absolutely. I would bet Shane has higher merch sales than Brody as well.
AnHonorableMention

And now for you whiners who can't handle constructive critiques of the flawless modern day ROH, here's my PPV review in which I watched the show a second time.

Brian Johnson vs. Eli Isom vs. Danhausen vs. LSG 2* too much danhausen but Brian is won me over talking the entire time, LSG is great and Isom has so much potential. Sadly this was the danhausen show. No swears, right winner.

MexiSquad (Flamita, Bandido & Rey Horus) vs. Shane Taylor Promotions (Shane Taylor & SOS) 2 & 1/2* short match unfortunately relegated to the preshow. Dominant win for STP. Expected a lot more, was annoyed this was moved to the pre-show.

Tracy Williams vs. Kenny King 2 & 3/4* this was good but gets penalized for the actual champ not losing his title. Real fun otherwise to see. Piledriver by tracy was great and kenny’s desperation was awesome both visually and vocally

Flip Gordon vs. Mark Briscoe 3 & 1/2* great athletic match with flip finding his footing as a heel. Mark of course selfless bumping wildly on everything to help lend credibility to flip. Why don't they ever give any singles love to Mark????

Josh Woods vs. Dalton Castle 2 * story telling, blowing off woods and Silas more so than doing anything for Dalton. Hard to enjoy castle because it seems like everything he does really hurts him. Hopefully when fans are back he’s good to go because that’s a babyface fans will gravitate to

Jay Briscoe vs. EC3 2 & 1/4 * intense yes, but did not convince me I need to see more ec3 in ROH. I liked the idea of earning the code of honor but this match was just that, a match. Good match for tv, not an elite jay singles match as we have seen many times. ec3 just doesn't have anything going for him besides his medical regiment.

Bandido vs. Flamita vs. Rey Horus 3 & 1/2* incredible display of athletes and innovation. Bandido singles push time. Felt more like an exhibition than anything else and I’m fine with it because it looked cool.

[Unsanctioned] Vincent vs. Matt Taven -2* boring, uninteresting, simple; Payless version of what sting and Darby did three weeks ago. Too long and absolutely less interest in this after than before because Bill Carr showing up means this must continue. Blow this off and blow both guys away. A worst match of 2021 contender.

Dak Draper vs. Jonathan Gresham 4 & 1/2* drama, innovative pure rules usage and Draper rising to the level of his opponent. Loved the floor submission leading to Draper being cut down to size. Best match on the card and one of the best matches since the Pure Title was reinstated

The Foundation (Titus & Williams) vs. La Facción Ingobernable (Bestia & King) 2 & 3/4 * Rhett finally gets his belt back unfortunately stuck working with Bestia who didn’t seem to be all that interested, not enough focus on Kenny vs Rhett, Kenny and Tracey both sold from earlier in the card!!!, right finish was Rhett beating Kenny since he is a tag champ and the history. Kenny, Rhett Tracy were great, LFI Dad not so much. Man on women violence leaves a sour taste.

Rush vs. Jay Lethal 4 * classic ROH title match only hurt by LFI gaga, made sense for the story, referee discretion, but a clean win for Rush was preferred, he did need aid to beat Brody, Lethal is smaller, and established. Rush intensity and Lethal credibility made the in ring memorable.

Post match angle, blah. Love all these guys but how do they come together. Lifeblood 2.0. Maybe Brody promos will tie together but why give a monster a faction. Should do it on his own, establish him as the guy. Let the grievance gang stand on their own. Will get lost in the shuffle because Delirious is concept without follow through.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

[cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

ROH Final Battle 2020 Hour One viewership: ~74K Youtube, ~10K Facebook (running total since December 10)
ROH 19th Anniversary Hour One viewership: ~52K Youtube, ~4K Facebook (running total since Friday)

Obviously this is just one piece of the puzzle. We do not have and will likely never get numbers from the PPV carriers, Fite TV, Honor Club, Best on the Planet, or STIRR City. And what really matters isn't the Hour One viewership, but what percentage of those viewers they were able to convert to PPV buys or Honor Club subscriptions.

But if the trends are at least similar, the Anniversary Show should blow past Final Battle in viewership before the end of the week.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:54 pm ROH Final Battle 2020 Hour One viewership: ~74K Youtube, ~10K Facebook (running total since December 10)
ROH 19th Anniversary Hour One viewership: ~52K Youtube, ~4K Facebook (running total since Friday)

Obviously this is just one piece of the puzzle. We do not have and will likely never get numbers from the PPV carriers, Fite TV, Honor Club, Best on the Planet, or STIRR City. And what really matters isn't the Hour One viewership, but what percentage of those viewers they were able to convert to PPV buys or Honor Club subscriptions.

But if the trends are at least similar, the Anniversary Show should blow past Final Battle in viewership before the end of the week.
ian said numbers across the board was up for roh
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Well I doubt that Ian would say that things are bad so I wouldn't take his word as gospel. But overall I felt like there was more chatter online, at least in places that I visit, for this show than for Final Battle.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Just about one week in, here are the Youtube views for the 19th Anniversary related videos

Women of Honor announcement: 105,000
Violence Unlimited Debut: 67,000
Hour One Preshow: 64,000
Jay Briscoe vs EC3: 27,000
Rush vs Lethal: 17,000
Post-show: 14,000
Taven vs Vinny: 13,000
Tag Titles: 9,100
Lucha triple threat: 7,900
TV title: 4,500
Pure Title: 3,900
Flip vs Mark Briscoe: 3,800

Too lazy to look up the Facebook viewership.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Thanks for numbers. Kinda funny how the worst part got the most views.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Lynx wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:00 am Thanks for numbers. Kinda funny how the worst part got the most views.
I didn't think the women's segment was bad. It made sense that they'd be the ones to announce the return of the women's division since Quinn and likely Mandy would've been in the bubble anyway. They had to pay off that Week by Week attack.

Angelina is a very solid veteran and a good choice for Quinn's first TV match. I was worried we might end up with Sumie vs Mandy for the 100th time kicking off the return of the women's division.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Somewhat related to RoH: latest NJPW Strong played on Dickinson going to RoH and joining with Brody when he is in Lawlor's faction on Strong. At the end of the show they kinda planted the seeds that Dickinson isn't as "bad" as Lawlor or others in the group and next show he'll be having singles match against Brody.

Not that big of a deal, but I think it still counts as a cross-promotional storyline.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

A little late on this due to moving house, not having internet for a little bit and aggravating an existing back injury which has left me dealing with a dreadful sciatica flare-up - but my 19YA review is below:

http://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/roh19 ... ryshow.php
AnHonorableMention

McXal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:31 pm A little late on this due to moving house, not having internet for a little bit and aggravating an existing back injury which has left me dealing with a dreadful sciatica flare-up - but my 19YA review is below:

HATER HATER HATER HATER LOL
Captain Podcast
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

McXal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:31 pm A little late on this due to moving house, not having internet for a little bit and aggravating an existing back injury which has left me dealing with a dreadful sciatica flare-up - but my 19YA review is below:

A very good review. Thank you for sharing. I hope your back is feeling better.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:57 pm
HATER HATER HATER HATER LOL
Ha! I felt largely positive! I won’t pretend I didn’t hate everything to do with the TV Title match/change - but in truth my biggest takeaway from the show (as I suspect it will have been for you, at least in part) was excitement about seeing Homicide back in any form!
kovs27 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:58 pm
A very good review. Thank you for sharing. I hope your back is feeling better.
Back is a mess - largely immobile and full of painkillers currently! Thanks for the kind feedback and well wishes bud!