Who/What has done the most damage to ROH?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!

Who's done the most damage to ROH?

SBG
No votes
Joe Koff & Greg Gilleland
11%
Delirious
17%
Bully Ray
6%
Joey Mercury
No votes
WWE/NXT
17%
The Elite / AEW
22%
G1 Supercard Show
11%
The Fans
17%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 18

Montana

Re: Who/What has done the most damage to ROH?

Post by Montana »

Heyman would be cool... but the stars would have needed to align for that to happen. Plus I also Heyman would prefer to work with Gabe. (Ie: not firing him). Plus I assume his price tag wouldn’t have been cheap. I have found it interesting that Heyman has never done anything with ROH. Not sure why, if it’s a money thing or timing.

I still don’t see how Black would really dramatically change how 2009 went, and how he’d draw more fans in, with the belt, opposed to someone they are building up. Here nor there, would have probably have the same financial issues.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Paul Heyman is the last dude you want to bring in to run a financially struggling promotion.

After the SBG buyout, sure, but not before. He's worse with money than Cary.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

WWE/NXT. Remember before the CWC and before Gabe crawled up their ass nobody would have said "Hey, I'm going to leave ROH and go.work EVOLVE!" It became the E's feeder and there goes Cedric, Keith Lee, Dijak, ACH, O'Reilly right after the title was put on him for fuck sake, Fish, Strong, Cole, Elgin, probably am missing several more but you get the picture. Gabe was able to get guys a fast track to Stamford, to me that's done more damage than anything.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Montana wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:09 pm Heyman would be cool... but the stars would have needed to align for that to happen. Plus I also Heyman would prefer to work with Gabe. (Ie: not firing him). Plus I assume his price tag wouldn’t have been cheap. I have found it interesting that Heyman has never done anything with ROH. Not sure why, if it’s a money thing or timing.

I still don’t see how Black would really dramatically change how 2009 went, and how he’d draw more fans in, with the belt, opposed to someone they are building up. Here nor there, would have probably have the same financial issues.
I fully see Herman wanting to keep Sapolsky around as a consultant and don’t see it as the worst idea with the company shifting to TV.

Black, not Lynn, got over chasing McGuinness. There were no money matches for Lynn and his title reign alienated ROH’s customer base of newsletter subscribers.

Perfect world:

Black over McGuinness at Final Battle 2008 or in Houston

Richards over Black by Final Battle 2009

Steen over Richards at Death Before Dishonor VIII

Generico over Steen at Final Battle 2010

I’d want Omega to eventually dethrone Generico if he sticks around, but if not, stick with Generico until Steen returns or Strong has enough heel charisma (perhaps with Heyman) to be the second coming of Danielson’s reign.

As much as I’d love a Daniels run, he’s gotta leave to TNA when the time comes to feed his family, and I’m not disrupting the Steen vs. Generico saga at all for him.

Hero would be my best pick as heel champ in 2011 or 2012... if he was staying.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah, i completely agree on those picks as champs during that era. Think that would have been best case scenario in retrospect.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Guess we can add Kelly Klein to the list; although i'm sure there some truth to her side, and some truth against it as well.