What Happens When/If ROH Loses Their TV Deal?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AndyDiaz

What Happens When/If ROH Loses Their TV Deal?

Post by AndyDiaz »

Watching old ROH made me think of this. Granted it was a different time and place, and there was a whole different landscape back in the days of old ROH. How would todays ROH product survive without its TV deal? Would the product suffer or thrive? Cause personally I think it could go either way. When ROH ran only DVD's the shows were way more well rounded as apposed to in the past year or two the cards have been weak. But to counteract that, the recent lineups for shows especially how shows have been more well rounded. So what does everyone else think?
bik100

Re: What Happens When/If ROH Loses Their TV Deal?

Post by bik100 »

Depends who buys it after losing the TV deal.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

ROH does not have a tv deal. The company is 100% owned by Sinclair Broadcasting . WWE and TNA are the only companies that have tv deals,
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Memphis Mark wrote:ROH does not have a tv deal. The company is 100% owned by Sinclair Broadcasting . WWE and TNA are the only companies that have tv deals,
This. ROH right now can live with bad iPPV or houseshow number, but if they start dropping the TV ratings they are fucked.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

If ROH lost TV, they'd lose SBG. In my opinion that wouldn't be a big deal IF they could find a new buyer. However, that's a massive if and I'm not sure they would find a buyer. There's no money to be made in indy wrestling so you'd be hard pushed to find somebody willing to take the company on.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Sinclair use ROH as a building block anyway. Whenever they buy a new network such as the ones they've bought recently ROH gets thrown onto that network. It's somewhat similar to how Vince bought all the territories and then got their timeslots too except kind of backward, where Sinclair buys a network and ROH's exposure increases.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

AndyDiaz wrote:Watching old ROH made me think of this. Granted it was a different time and place, and there was a whole different landscape back in the days of old ROH. How would todays ROH product survive without its TV deal? Would the product suffer or thrive? Cause personally I think it could go either way. When ROH ran only DVD's the shows were way more well rounded as apposed to in the past year or two the cards have been weak. But to counteract that, the recent lineups for shows especially how shows have been more well rounded. So what does everyone else think?
Ring of Honor is now first and foremost a weekly television show owned by SBG. There also happen to be additional iPPV events available on demand, watched by a tiny portion of the TV audience. ROH has no meaning and no value to its owners, SBG, as anything other than a TV show. There is no Ring of Honor as a separate entity from SBG; it's a property. If SBG decides to pull the plug on the show, they can try to sell the property. The most likely buyer would be WWE (for the video library, not to keep it going). But that will be up to SBG; they could instead just opt to shut it down and archive the existing footage.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

AndyDiaz wrote:Watching old ROH made me think of this. Granted it was a different time and place, and there was a whole different landscape back in the days of old ROH. How would todays ROH product survive without its TV deal? Would the product suffer or thrive? Cause personally I think it could go either way. When ROH ran only DVD's the shows were way more well rounded as apposed to in the past year or two the cards have been weak. But to counteract that, the recent lineups for shows especially how shows have been more well rounded. So what does everyone else think?
The company would be dead.
StanHanseninHD

Post by StanHanseninHD »

Two things would have happened:

1. The company was sold or
2. Sinclair, a public traded company, goes bankrupt.

I don't see #2 happening, especially since their stock price has gone up over 300% in the past 12 months and they keep buying more and more stations.

Ring of Honor is perfect for Sinclair. It is cheap programming that can be put on TV at any time of the day and receive a loyal number of people watching. Sinclair, rightfully so, will never put the type of money into ROH that would make them a much bigger product. It doesn't make economic sense.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Dumb thread.
JSP

Post by JSP »

A harmless, thought provoking question is dumb? :o
SeanWrestling

Post by SeanWrestling »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:If ROH lost TV, they'd lose SBG. In my opinion that wouldn't be a big deal IF they could find a new buyer. However, that's a massive if and I'm not sure they would find a buyer. There's no money to be made in indy wrestling so you'd be hard pushed to find somebody willing to take the company on.
Seriously, are there no rich people who are genuine fans of wrestling? And I don't mean just WWE. I mean WWE, TNA, ROH, the indies, Japan, etc. Not one? Not even somebody who's actually in the business who has a bunch of disposable money lying around who would like to start or buy their own company?
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I have a feeling wwe will own roh one day unfortunately. If SBG decides they don't want ROH on their stations they'll sell to wwe the trademarks and tape library..
SmarkyMarks

Post by SmarkyMarks »

I don't see Sinclair ever selling ROH. As someone else stated most people know there is little to no oney in the indies for a company unless you can find TV. If Sinclair thinks ROH isn't worth the money they are spending then I think Sinclair would likely find a buyer in WWE.

With Punk and Bryan becoming bigger stars by the day and with others on the rise like Rollins, Ohno, Neville, and Zayn they would love to have a juicy back catalog of matches from these guys that they can use of best ofs or stuff to show on Demand.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

SmarkyMarks wrote:I don't see Sinclair ever selling ROH. As someone else stated most people know there is little to no oney in the indies for a company unless you can find TV. If Sinclair thinks ROH isn't worth the money they are spending then I think Sinclair would likely find a buyer in WWE.

With Punk and Bryan becoming bigger stars by the day and with others on the rise like Rollins, Ohno, Neville, and Zayn they would love to have a juicy back catalog of matches from these guys that they can use of best ofs or stuff to show on Demand.
Hence why I think wwe will own it one day.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Isn't it obvious?

Matt Hardy will buy it.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

SeanWrestling wrote:
ROHWorld_Steven wrote:If ROH lost TV, they'd lose SBG. In my opinion that wouldn't be a big deal IF they could find a new buyer. However, that's a massive if and I'm not sure they would find a buyer. There's no money to be made in indy wrestling so you'd be hard pushed to find somebody willing to take the company on.
Seriously, are there no rich people who are genuine fans of wrestling? And I don't mean just WWE. I mean WWE, TNA, ROH, the indies, Japan, etc. Not one? Not even somebody who's actually in the business who has a bunch of disposable money lying around who would like to start or buy their own company?
CM Punk maybe? :D
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

BTW10 wrote:Dumb thread.
Seems like you have a problem with every thread in the forum
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

JSP wrote:A harmless, thought provoking question is dumb? :o
A thoughtless, misinformed thread is dumb, yes.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Oh for god's sake, it's a strictly hypothetical question that you're shitting on for no real reason. Maybe you should read the dude's question again because he simply asked a question, which isn't exactly "thoughtless" or misinformed.

Now if you're talking about this idiotic "WWE WILL OWN ROH ONE DAY!~!", then disregard what I just said.