Official ROH World Title Tournament Discussion Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Die Harder

Re: Official ROH World Title Tournament Discussion Thread

Post by Die Harder »

187_Joeism wrote:I think the opposite, having outside talent gives prestige to the tournament.
even if they all get eliminated strait up???
Kabla

Post by Kabla »

Die Harder wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:I think the opposite, having outside talent gives prestige to the tournament.
even if they all get eliminated strait up???
I don't think that matters. Everyone knows that the outside talent isn't going to win the tournament. If any of them made it to the semis, we'd have the same situation where the winner would be fairly obvious. So as long as they matches they do have are of high quality, then it still makes the tournament worth watching.
Yugiohnoonoo
Banned
Banned

Post by Yugiohnoonoo »

Outside talent brings a bit more oomph to the tourney for me
[cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I'm excited about these first round match-ups! And most of these make for potentially great second round match ups too.

I think all results should still be put under spoilers. I'm going to try to watch the matches unspoiled, I'm sure others will probably do the same. Maybe post results in official show threads or something like that, and leave the tournament thread spoiler free until after each round has aired. This could get tricky.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I could actually see Anderson going into the finals against Elgin.

Elgin did say he wanted to get rid of SCUM and defeat Anderson before he won the title. Think about how compelling it would be to see him complete his last goal and at the same time, do what he said he was going to do, win the ROH World Championship.

As for spoilers, I may spoiler tag the winners from the TV tapings, then take it off once the episode aired for the match or matches that took place.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

TYFDK wrote:I could actually see Anderson going into the finals against Elgin.
That can't happen since the winner of ACH/Anderson will face the winner of Elgin/London in the Quarter-Finals.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

I really want ACH vs London this year
Dingus

Post by Dingus »

KL_ wrote:Image

Here it is.
Well, theoretically there is a chance of Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin in the final match.
My predictions:

First Round
Mark Briscoe vs Adam Cole
Jay Lethal vs Sonjay Dutt
Tommaso Ciampa vs Silas Young
Michael Bennett vs BJ Whitmer
Karl Anderson vs ACH
Paul London vs Michael Elgin
Matt Taven vs Roderick Strong
Brian Kendrick vs Kevin Steen

Quarter Finals
Adam Cole vs Jay Lethal
Tommaso Ciampa vs Michael Bennett
Karl Anderson vs Michael Elgin
Matt Taven vs Kevin Steen

Semi Finals
Adam Cole vs Tommaso Ciampa
Michael Elgin vs Kevin Steen

Final
Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin

Elgin is coming over to wrestle in Perth weekend of November 30/December 1, while Cole is here mid-August, so can't see him coming over with the title (Steen lost the title not too long before he came over) and potentially missing a weekend of ROH shows. Can see Cole winning in a heel way and setting up a fued with Elgin to last until Final Battle.
SeanWrestling

Post by SeanWrestling »

With the exception of Steen vs. Kendrick and Elgin vs. London, I'm disappointed in the ASE tournament matches. And I'm sorry but I think this tournament went to shit with the additions of Bennett, Young/Page, ACH, and Taven. None of them either have no credibility (Young/Page and ACH) or just doesn't do anything for me (Bennett and Taven). This tournament should of been made up of bring-ins, people with credibility, and people that's good from top to bottom. I mean I guess the tourney does need scrubs to get knocked out in the first round but how much more prestigious would it look if even the scrubs were big names? Also knowing Elgin is gonna win the whole thing kinda ruins it for me. Let's go Cole!
KenSmellsGood

Post by KenSmellsGood »

Dingus wrote:
My predictions:

First Round
Mark Briscoe vs Adam Cole
Jay Lethal vs Sonjay Dutt
Tommaso Ciampa vs Silas Young
Michael Bennett vs BJ Whitmer
Karl Anderson vs ACH
Paul London vs Michael Elgin
Matt Taven vs Roderick Strong
Brian Kendrick vs Kevin Steen

Quarter Finals
Adam Cole vs Jay Lethal
Tommaso Ciampa vs Michael Bennett
Karl Anderson vs Michael Elgin
Matt Taven vs Kevin Steen

Semi Finals
Adam Cole vs Tommaso Ciampa
Michael Elgin vs Kevin Steen

Final
Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin
I posted a pic of my predictions on my Instagram. It's literally identical to yours except I have Strong going over Taven in the first round and being beaten by Steen in the second. Other than that, we're identical.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

The tourny looks kinda predictable.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

indyfan wrote:The tourny looks kinda predictable.
But that's honestly not a bad thing...
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

SeanWrestling wrote:With the exception of Steen vs. Kendrick and Elgin vs. London, I'm disappointed in the ASE tournament matches. And I'm sorry but I think this tournament went to shit with the additions of Bennett, Young/Page, ACH, and Taven. None of them either have no credibility (Young/Page and ACH) or just doesn't do anything for me (Bennett and Taven). This tournament should of been made up of bring-ins, people with credibility, and people that's good from top to bottom. I mean I guess the tourney does need scrubs to get knocked out in the first round but how much more prestigious would it look if even the scrubs were big names? Also knowing Elgin is gonna win the whole thing kinda ruins it for me. Let's go Cole!
I know *exactly* what you mean. I marry this supermodel, right. She's gorgeous, rich, completely devoted to me, wonderful personality. And then I find out, on the honeymoon no less, she won't do threeways. I'm like, WTF? Why did I even marry this woman? What was the point?

Seriously, dude, it's like I'm looking in a mirror when I read that. I mean, ROH guys? In a tournament for the ROH title? Who the hell thought *that* would be a good idea? Everyone knows they aren't worthy for vying for the holding the championship.

What we need is Paul E on the book. He'd have done it right. Stupid Hunter. Just another Cornette when all is said and done...
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

DBSommer wrote:
SeanWrestling wrote:With the exception of Steen vs. Kendrick and Elgin vs. London, I'm disappointed in the ASE tournament matches. And I'm sorry but I think this tournament went to shit with the additions of Bennett, Young/Page, ACH, and Taven. None of them either have no credibility (Young/Page and ACH) or just doesn't do anything for me (Bennett and Taven). This tournament should of been made up of bring-ins, people with credibility, and people that's good from top to bottom. I mean I guess the tourney does need scrubs to get knocked out in the first round but how much more prestigious would it look if even the scrubs were big names? Also knowing Elgin is gonna win the whole thing kinda ruins it for me. Let's go Cole!
I know *exactly* what you mean. I marry this supermodel, right. She's gorgeous, rich, completely devoted to me, wonderful personality. And then I find out, on the honeymoon no less, she won't do threeways. I'm like, WTF? Why did I even marry this woman? What was the point?
:lol:
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Build up new talent for the future and/or give them some credibility, what are those ?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

For what it's worth, Mark Briscoe is listed for ASE V so perhaps this is a sign that The Briscoes are indeed staying. I mean, the fact that they changed Jay's status from "out indefinitely" to "3 to 6 Months" I think further indicates this....
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Just looking at the NYC talent list, Cole isn't on it yet. Maybe that's why he's having his 2nd round match in Toronto, perhaps he can't make it to NY for 8/17
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The American Wolves are signed to appear in NYC so as far as their situation goes, they'll be in ROH through at least this show...
Yugiohnoonoo
Banned
Banned

Post by Yugiohnoonoo »

DBSommer wrote:

Seriously, dude, it's like I'm looking in a mirror when I read that. I mean, ROH guys? In a tournament for the ROH title? Who the hell thought *that* would be a good idea? Everyone knows they aren't worthy for vying for the holding the championship.

What we need is Paul E on the book. He'd have done it right. Stupid Hunter. Just another Cornette when all is said and done...
[cornette]
[cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

DBSommer wrote: What we need is Paul E on the book. He'd have done it right.
If he was on the book ROH would probably be out of business due to his inability to book around financial restrictions.