Official ROH World Title Tournament Discussion Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Hellfont93

Re: Official ROH World Title Tournament Discussion Thread

Post by Hellfont93 »

RacingBoy wrote:Weak tournament

Elgin is great don't get me wrong and Steen is to but Kendrick and London have been phoning it on the Indy Scene for years and Anderson is only ok at best he's more of a tag guy
You probably already had your mind made up before the first name was even announced. 5 of 16 so far and no matches announced. Give it a chance.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

The entrants announced so far are great! If they keep this up, this could be the biggest, most prestigious tournament on the indies in years.

I also think that whoever wins should have their first title defense against a returning Jay Briscoe.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:The entrants announced so far are great! If they keep this up, this could be the biggest, most prestigious tournament on the indies in years.

I also think that whoever wins should have their first title defense against a returning Jay Briscoe.
Yes, yes, and yes.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

RacingBoy wrote:Weak tournament

Elgin is great don't get me wrong and Steen is to but Kendrick and London have been phoning it on the Indy Scene for years and Anderson is only ok at best he's more of a tag guy
I'm happy to say the majority of fans disagree with the first statement, and agree with maybe one of the other things you said. (In my case I do think Kendrick has been phoning it in to a degree from some of the stuff I've seen). But even then just having his name in the tournament I approve of. I sort of wouldn't mind seeing London Kendrick have one more go at it, even if it won't be at their 03 quality in the opening round. But new match ups are appealing as well.

And since you think the Briscoes are 'spot monkeys', that pretty much says where you're coming from. If you say 'left' I'm going to go with right. If you say 'weak tournament' I'm thinking that's a sign it's pretty damn good.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:The entrants announced so far are great! If they keep this up, this could be the biggest, most prestigious tournament on the indies in years.

I'd just as soon wait for a fully healthy Jay than simply a returning Jay. I'd wager that shoulder's been affecting his matches which, while solid overall, haven't been outstanding with an exception or two. So if it means a few title defenses from the new champ before Briscoe gets his shot, I'm fine with that.
KenSmellsGood

Post by KenSmellsGood »

I like the way the tournament is looking so far...

I'd like to see at least four or five more "surprises." Low Ki, Homicide, Eddie Kingston, and Douglas Williams are all potentials.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Entry #6 is Roderick Strong!

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/another-entrant-named
1. Michael Elgin
2. Brian Kendrick
3. Karl Anderson
4. Kevin Steen
5. Paul London

And now the 6th man has been named to the ROH World Title Tournament that begins on July 27th in Providence, RI: Roderick Strong!

Roddy is no stranger to the World Title having held the belt from “Glory by Honor IX” on 9/11/10 until “Manhattan Mayhem IV” on 3/19/11 when Eddie Edwards dethroned him. Roddy is no stranger to championships in general either as he is only one of two men (the other being Edwards) who can claim status as an ROH Triple Crown Champion.

Will Roderick next be able to lay claim to the moniker of 2-Time Champion as only one other man has done? His pursuit of that will begin on August 3rd in Toronto when Strong competes in his First Round tournament bout! Who will be his opponent? Well with 10 other men still to be announced the possibilities are wide open! Check back later today for the next entry into the field and head on over here to get your tickets for the World Title Tournament events in Providence, Toronto, NYC, and Philadelphia!!!
Last edited by DXvsNWO1994 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Added Roddy to the OP, as well as a little side note about where the entrants' first round matches will take place.
franchise316

Post by franchise316 »

Anderson is just ok...more of a tag team wrestler.....WOW don't watch much NJPW do ya.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

franchise316 wrote:Anderson is just ok...more of a tag team wrestler.....WOW don't watch much NJPW do ya.
Lmao who said that? That has to be one of the most ignorant statements ever. Check his match against Tanahashi from New Beginnings. Anderson is awesome. Imagine ROH brings over Devitt somehow (I know I'm dreaming) I just want to see the Bullet Club in RoH.

Andersons better in singles IMO now that Bernard is gone. Ignorant statement
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

ROHFan25 wrote:
franchise316 wrote:Anderson is just ok...more of a tag team wrestler.....WOW don't watch much NJPW do ya.
Lmao who said that? That has to be one of the most ignorant statements ever. Check his match against Tanahashi from New Beginnings. Anderson is awesome. Imagine ROH brings over Devitt somehow (I know I'm dreaming) I just want to see the Bullet Club in RoH.

Andersons better in singles IMO now that Bernard is gone. Ignorant statement
don't feed the troll guys, I think everybody familiar with NJPW knows whatn an outstanding singles wrestler the Machine Gun is
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Who wants Strong to be in the finals?

Would love to see him going over guys like Anderson, London and Steen.
MOOSE!
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I've heard nothing but good things about Anderson's work in the last year or so in NJPW and his matches in NYC against Strong & Elgin prove he's a very talented wrestler.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DieHard wrote:Who wants Strong to be in the finals?

I think that could be a very possible scenario actually...taking into account they shouldn't book the same tournament as PWG did last year with BOLA. To avoid that, I'd reckon it would be nice storytelling to end the tournament with Strong vs Cole, as the matches with Strong have triggered the heel turn of Cole in the first place.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Adam Cole is #7! His match will be in Providence, RI on July 27th. Looks like they'll be doing two entrants a day for the rest of the field.

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/lucky-number-seven
Elgin, Kendrick, Anderson, Steen, London, Strong...the list of competitors in the World Title Tournament is already impressive and reading like an all-star ballot. Now another man has been thrown in the mix that makes the field even more competitive and he is one who came close to claiming the World Title at “Border Wars 2013”:

Adam Cole!

On two occasions Cole has attempted to become World Champion, at “Rising Above 2012” and the aforementioned “Border Wars 2013” event, but has come up short each time. Those losses have only made him even hungrier to lay claim to a title many fans have felt Cole was destined to hold since the day he first started with Ring of Honor. Despite the recent questionable actions of Cole, he has shown that all the tools are at his disposal, it is just a matter of putting it all together to become champion. Can Cole finally do it? He will take his first steps on the path to the World Title on July 27th in Providence and, should he succeed, it will continue on in Toronto, New York City, and Philadelphia!

There are nine slots left to be filled in the World Title Tournament! Check back tomorrow for the next two entries into the field and head on over HERE to get your tickets for the tournament events in Providence, Toronto, NYC, and Philadelphia!!!
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

OMG I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! ADAM COLE!!!
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
sparksky

Post by sparksky »

I assume Lethal, Ciampa and Whitmer are in. That gets us to 10. I wonder who else?

I like him but given the makeup of the tournament so far, Bennett would feel like an afterthought. Sounds like Eddie and Davey will not be in as their focus is on the the tag belts. Ditto reDRagon too, then.

ACH could be a fun underdog entrant. Taven should probably get in by virtue of being TV Champ, but who knows.

Even still, not sure how we keep up this prestige level and get to 16. Either way, I'll enjoy the ride.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

KenSmellsGood wrote: I'd like to see at least four or five more "surprises." Low Ki, Homicide, Eddie Kingston, and Douglas Williams are all potentials.
This dude. This dude right here.
DieHard wrote:Who wants Strong to be in the finals?

You're a butt. :V
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

So right now we have

RI: Karl Anderson, Adam Cole & Roderick Strong
Toronto: Kevin Steen, Michael Elgin, Spanky & Paul London

Sounds like fun, RI will have Anderson and the Hooligans, that´s amazing for a house show! if someone tell you that last year you would call him crazy
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

I figure there will be maybe a couple more 'surprise' entries, but that will probably be it since they majority of the guys will be 'in house'. Lethal's a no brainer. Taven probably due to his TV Title. I think they might get one or two undercard guys like ACH or Alexander as darkhorses. One might even make it to the second round. Hardy will probably be in there as well, much as I hate to say it. I think at least one more surprise guy will have a history with ROH. Maybe Jack Evans, or even Shelley if it's for one or two shows.