ROH Relentless (5/18/13) review

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

ROH Relentless (5/18/13) review

Post by classic-cabana »

Michael Elgin vs. Kyle Matthews and Tommaso Ciampa vs. Chris LaRusso were perfect examples on how to build two monsters towards their showdown. Elgin's was more competitive, I was impressed with Matthews whereas Ciampa just killed his man. Both short matches but both excellent in achieving their goals. Cant wait for Elgin vs. Ciampa. This how ROH should be booking these two on TV and DVD tapings.

Adam Cole vs. Adam Page was fine, both looked good, Cole teased a heel turn at the end, so this will also make TV.

Mark Briscoe vs. Roderick Strong again was fine, Roddy really needs something to do.

American Wolves vs. Cliff Compton & Rhett Titus was better than I expected, SCUM kept up with the Wolves. Compton looked good and I'd like to see more of him, especially in singles on DVD tapings at least.

Jay Lethal, Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. Kyle O’Reilly, Bobby Fish & Matt Taven was fun and entertaining 6 man. The best match Ive seen Taven in during his ROH run, no Truth Martini to overshadow him. Alexander once again looked like a star and the result was the right one, can't wait for reDdragon vs. C&C at BITW.

No DQ: Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs was a fun brawl, didn't think they would go out as much as they did, nothing truly memorable (by their standards) apart from a brutal finish and aftermath. but did the job in giving Steen momentum in his battle against SCUM.

Jay Briscoe vs. BJ Whitmer was going at a nice pace, nothing spectacular until out of nowhere Jay nearly kills BJ, when will BJ ever learn? After that spot both guys showed more fire and things got very good to almost great with a nice finish to mix things up a bit, the best five minutes of any of Jay's defences so far, he's still looking for that great match to define his title run and Im expecting the Richards match from SA to deliver.

In terms of building towards BITW this show did a great job, very enjoyable 2 and a half hours. Once again Corino is great on commentary and cut an awesome promo on ROH. The Elgin and Ciampa squashes are definately worth checking out although I expect them to make TV, as I do the 6 man as that was great fun.
DieHard

Re: ROH Relentless (5/18/13) review

Post by DieHard »

What?? ROH actually booked a squash match like it should've been? [cornette]

Glad I ordered Honor in the Heart of Texas (what a terrible name...) instaed of this show. It doesn't seem that appealing at all.
MOOSE!
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Its a fun show but if you pick and choose DVD/VOD's then its skippable especially as you should get to see all the best stuff on the TV show.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Michael Elgin vs. Kyle Matthews**1/2
Adam Cole vs. Adam Page***1/2
Roderick Strong vs. Mark Briscoe***
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Cody LaRusso DUD
American Wolves vs. Rhett Titus & Cliff Compton (SCUM)***
Jay Lethal & C & C Wrestling Factory vs. Matt Taven & Team AmFishin'***3/4
Kevin Steen vs, Jimmy Jacobs***1/4
Jay Briscoe (c) vs. BJ Whitmer***3/4
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Michael Elgin vs Kyle Matthews - ***

Adam Cole vs Adam Page - ***1/4 (Really enjoyed it, wasn't expecting it to be that good, Page should be signed)

Roderick Strong vs Mark Briscoe - *** (When the match got better they ended it)

American Wolves vs SCUM - **3/4 (Corino was brilliant here)

Jay Lethal and C&C vs Matt Taven and Jay Lethal - ***1/4

Kevin Steen vs Jimmy Jacobs - *** (Terrible booking for this match, the noDQ stip was unnecessary and the match as a whole felt too short and uneventful)

ROH World Champinship:
Jay Briscoe vs BJ Whitmer - ***1/2-***3/4
Overall: 7/10, it was good but nothing outstanding. One thing I want to talk about - the commentator that was with Corino (Joe something) was sooo much better than Kevin Kelly. He actually talked about the matches and not only the moves, did a good job with explaining the stories of the matches and had some nice discussions with Corino. Forgot to mention in my SA review what a bad job Kelly did there. Wish he'd replace him.
MOOSE!
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Was it Joe Dombrowski? (I may have spelled his name wrong). He did commentary for ROH around 2010 with Prazak I think. Does commentary for Prime Wrestling in Cleveland. He's pretty good.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

TYFDK wrote:Was it Joe Dombrowski? (I may have spelled his name wrong). He did commentary for ROH around 2010 with Prazak I think. Does commentary for Prime Wrestling in Cleveland. He's pretty good.
It was (keyed as Joe Dembrowski, for what its worth)
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

TYFDK wrote:Was it Joe Dombrowski? (I may have spelled his name wrong). He did commentary for ROH around 2010 with Prazak I think. Does commentary for Prime Wrestling in Cleveland. He's pretty good.
Yeah. He's much better than Kelly.
MOOSE!
icyhot

Post by icyhot »

I think it helped that Dombrowski has such good chemistry with Corino. I hated him in the past on ROH PPVs, but with Corino he's gold.
Support REAL Indy Wrestling and small business.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's my review:

ROH Relentless
Richmond, Virginia 5/18/13

1.) Kyle Matthews vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin: ***
2.) Adam Page vs. Adam Cole: ***1/4
3.) Roderick Strong vs. Mark Briscoe: ***
4.) Chris LaRusso vs. "The Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa: DUD
5.) S.C.U.M. (Rhett Titus & Cliff Compton) vs. The American Wolves: ***
6.) Six-Man Tag - ROH World Tag Team Champions reDRagon & ROH World TV Champion Matt Taven vs. Jay Lethal and C & C Wrestle Factory: ***3/4
7.) No DQ Match - Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs: ***1/4
8.) ROH World Title - Jay Briscoe vs. BJ Whitmer: ***3/4

Overall: 7.5/10

They didn't show the Team A-1 Match (not that I'm complaining, just noting it). I think I gave this show & War the same rating, but I'd personally put this over that show because this was relatively more consistent in terms of match quality. Not a single match on here (expect for the Ciampa Squash) went under three stars, but at the same time, nothing reached or was over four stars. I feel part of that can be contributed to the fact that most of these matches will be shown on television. While there wasn't anything outstanding, everything is pretty solid.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Here's my review:

ROH Relentless
Richmond, Virginia 5/18/13

1.) Kyle Matthews vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin: ***
2.) Adam Page vs. Adam Cole: ***1/4
3.) Roderick Strong vs. Mark Briscoe: ***
4.) Chris LaRusso vs. "The Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa: DUD
5.) S.C.U.M. (Rhett Titus & Cliff Compton) vs. The American Wolves: ***
6.) Six-Man Tag - ROH World Tag Team Champions reDRagon & ROH World TV Champion Matt Taven vs. Jay Lethal and C & C Wrestle Factory: ***3/4
7.) No DQ Match - Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs: ***1/4
8.) ROH World Title - Jay Briscoe vs. BJ Whitmer: ***3/4
You liked the Elgin match a bit more and the Cole match a bit less... could have copy and pasted the rest of my ratings haha. Just happened to notice how similar our ratings are for this show. Mostly because most people seemed to not rate the 6 man so highly...
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

donkitrk99 wrote: You liked the Elgin match a bit more and the Cole match a bit less... could have copy and pasted the rest of my ratings haha. Just happened to notice how similar our ratings are for this show. Mostly because most people seemed to not rate the 6 man so highly...
I guess we just think alike, but that's what I really thought about that matches. Lots of good & really good but nothing that stood out as great.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Good way to sum it up.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Overall: 7.5/10

Michael Elgin vs. Kyle Matthews – ***
Adam Page vs. Adam Cole – ***1/4
Mark Briscoe vs. Roderick Strong – ***1/4
Chris LeRusso vs. Tommaso Ciampa – SQUASH
The American Wolves vs. Rhett Titus and Cliff Compton – ***
Caprice Coleman, Cedric Alexander, and Jay Lethal vs. reDRagon and Matt Taven – ***1/4
Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs (No DQ match) – ***1/2
Jay Briscoe(c) vs. BJ Whitmer (ROH World Title) – ***1/4
Shook1

Post by Shook1 »

Excited for this and the new Briscoes DVD to get here
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Dear lord, how can they STILL not have mastered audio levels? I can't hear shit besides the commentary.
Last Real Man Hype
EcwHardCore07

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

Just watched ROH RELENTLESS BJ Whitmer is the toughest SOB in Wrestling
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Review for Relentless

Michael Elgin vs. Kyle Matthews

Nice debut for Matthews and a good opener.

***1/4

Adam Cole vs. Adam Page

Really enjoyed this one and Page proved why he should be signed

***1/4-1/2

Roderick Strong vs. Mark Briscoe

Started a bit slow, but I really got into it towards the end

***1/4

Tommaso Ciampa vs. Chris Larusso

Squash

American Wolves vs. SCUM (Rhett Titus & Cliff Compton)

Match totally carried by the Wolves

Jay Lethal & Cedric Alexander & Caprice Coleman vs. Matt Taven & Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly

Loved this match. Everyone looked great considering neither Lethal nor Taven had teamed up with the guys before.

****. Just in at that

Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs

***1/2. Bad start switched over to a no DQ.

World Title Match: Jay Briscoe (c) vs. BJ Whitmer

The very end took it that extra step taking it from a good match to a very good one. BJ sure took some bumps, but they paid off.

***3/4

Overall: ***1/2 one of the most solid cards I've seen in a long while. No duds on it at all.