Kurteous reviews Throwdown

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
kingkurteous

Kurteous reviews Throwdown

Post by kingkurteous »

Throwdown review

We're halfway through 2006 and the World Title picture is murky. A handful of the roster lay claim to being in the mix for a shot at American Dragon. Let's see what the Midwest double shot does to clear things up.

Shane Hagadorn & Keith Walker vs Irish Airborne.........Hagadorn had his choice of a partner and he picked this guy whom I know nothing about. The Christ brothers are great flyers but I'm not buying them as contenders any time soon. Walker looks like he just injected a duffel bag worth of juice. He beats down Jake with forearms and power strikes. Shane gets tagged in and toys with Jake before a knee to the gut gets a 2 count. Neckbreaker allows Dave to get tagged in. He immediately takes out Walker to give Jake the opportunity to isolate Shane. A double stomp into a death valley driver earn the brothers the victory.

Prince Nana is with an angry Jimmy Rave who still wants Davey Richards.

Conrad Kennedy III vs Nigel McGuiness.......Why this guy is getting a Pure title shot is beyond me, but Nigel is sporting one hell of a shiner. I guess CK3 has fans in the Midwest cause the crowd certainly is vocal in his support. Kennedy ties the champ up forcing the first rope break from Nigel. 2 count by Nigel after goading Kennedy into the corner and delivering a kick to the back of the head. Awesome backstabber variation by Conrad gets a 2 count. Big lariat off the ropes can't pin CK3. Tower of London does it though. Not a bad showing by Mr. Kennedy III. I enjoyed this one.

Colt Cabana & Ace Steel vs The Briscoe Brothers.........Fast start sees Ace sink in a camel clutch on Mark but his brother makes the save. Jay gets the tag and hits a Fisherman's Buster on Colt for 2. Steel looks like a madman (as usual) and clocks Mark with a closed fist. Colt gets a lot of nearfalls on Jay before a knee to his head allows the brothers to isolate him. Double dives by the Saints outside. Springboard kneedrop and twisting senton gets 2 on Mark. Big Saito suplex from Mark gets another 2 count. Doomsday device attempted on Steel, but he ducks the clothesline and rags Colt. He hip tosses Mark over the ropes. Top rope bulldog by the Saints. Jay driller takes Steel out but the spike Jay driller pins him. Good back and forth match. Afterwords, Jay cuts a promo promising a tag title change soon.

Jimmy Rave vs Delirious vs Samoa Joe vs Davey Richards..........This is a big match for the rookie Richards. Delirious goes batshit crazy at the opening bell. Him and Davey go counter for counter until Joe tags himself in. Jimmy does the same so he can get a piece of Richards. Delirious wants in bad though so Joe obliges and he makes an example of the Lizard man. the former World champ chops Richards to the mat. Davey tries to attack Joe with kicks but an open hand slap stops that nonsense. A flying shoulder tackle takes the big Samoan down but the STJoe plants him. Rave and Delirious both get ringtime against him. Multiple facewashes make the crowd happy. Superplex from Richards finally gets him out of danger as he tags out. Big spear/gutbuster/DDT combo from rave on Delirious gets 2. Davey, in a moment of pure intensity, delivers an elbow to Joe in the corner and flies through the ropes with a forearm onto Rave. German suplex almost pins Joe. In quite teh upset, Delirious wins after Shadows Over Hell on Joe and Rave submits to the Cobra stretch. Good 4 way!

During Intermission the Briscoes say the night is young eluding to something for later in the night. Claudio Castagnoli and Necro Butcher come out. Before intermission ends the next match starts up.

Necro Butcher vs Adam Pearce......this is Falls count Anywhere. Within seconds Necro is laid on the guardrail and blasted with a chairshot. Claudio interferes tossing Pearce over the guardrail. The whole match is basically what you would expect; tons of chairs and closed fists. Butcher's back gets cracked in a very painful manner over a set of chairs. Superfly splash on a chair but Claudio breaks it up. The crowd chants Homicide's name and before ya know it, we have our next match. I guess this one ends in a No Contest.

Homicide vs Claudio Castagnoli....Tope con hilo to start us off followed by Claudio being sent over the guardrail into the crowd. Homicide in complete control and gets a 2 count after a flying crossbody. Tide turns after a kneedrop by Claudio. Tilt a whirl backbreaker gets 2. Huge back bodydrop followed by an elbow for another 2 count. Homicide finds an opening on the ropes and connects with a top rope rana. Claudio does get his chance but Homicide kicks out of the Ricola Bomb. The lariat pins Mr.Money Man. The whole CZW-ROH feud is burnt out at this point I think.

Jimmy Jacobs vs BJ Whitmer vs Bryan Danielson........This one's a real 3 way dance where it's elimination rules. Jacobs attempts a headscissor but the champ segues that into an airplane spin thats's broken up by Whitmer. Champ gets BJ in a surfboard. Jacobs hits a big dropkick off the top to send Dragon reeling. He gets right back in the mix and delivers a double German suplex. Whitmer retaliates with a suplex of his own for 2. Dragon suplex on BJ for 2. Cattle mutilation locked in but Jacobs breaks it up with a big back senton. Jacobs almost pins his nemesis with a death valley driver. Doomsday rana almost eliminates the champ. BJ is the first to get pinned after an assisted Contra Code.

The champ goes right after the chest of Jimmy lighting it up with chops. He drapes Jacobs over a rope and dropkicks him to the floor. Diving headbutt gets a 2 count and it's followed up by Cattle Mutilation. The crowd chants for the challenger! Jimmy garners the strength to hit a spear. He gets a 2 count after another spear on a leaping Dragon. Regal-plex by the champ gets 2. Sunset flip off the top almost earns Jimmy the belt. Contra Code finds its mark but that's not enough to pin Dragon. Crowd chants BS! A roaring forearm catches Jimmy on the chin. Its followed up with elbows and the crossface chicken wing. Jacobs has no choice but to tap. Great showing by Jacobs, his best in a long time actually. Another notch on the champs belt.

KENTA vs Roderick Strong.......This should be good! Feeling out process lasts all but 2 minutes before they exchange kicks and chops. Roddy wins round 1. Powerslam by Kenta. Backbreaker over the knee from Strong. 3 hard kicks by the Japanese superstar send Roderick outside. This one's STIFF folks. A nice dropkick gets Strong a 2 count. Crossbody is countered by an ace crusher A nasty running boot to the face followed by a leaping dropkick in the corner gets a 2 count for Kenta. Nifty variation of a backbreaker gets 2. Gibson driver follows for another 2 count. Once again they go strike for strike mid ring and both men collapse from a double clothesline.Strong drops his foe on the apron attacking the back. Superplex for 2. Stronghold segued into Boston Crab weakens the back dome more. Flying knee by the tag champ cant pin Kenta. Top rope gutbuster for only 2. Flurry of strikes followed by the GTS pins Roderick Strong in a very good match.

The Briscoes run down but Kenta makes the save as they attack the battered Strong. Closing us out is Colt Cabana hyping up tomorrows next show in his hometown of Chicago for the belt.

The show was meh in the first half, but picked up greatly so I will be gracious and go with 7.5. Thoughts on the show anyone? And thanks for reading!
"Just for today, my thoughts will be on my recovery"