Official Richmond (5/18/13) Discussion/Results Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DanielBryanson

Re: Official Richmond (5/18/13) Discussion/Results Thread

Post by DanielBryanson »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:The clock is ticking - http://tinyurl.com/a2mj5cp
This is going to be the most awesome title change since ... Mr McMahon winning the ECW title!
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

(Or Kevin Steen could cost Matt Hardy the win here to further their feud)
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

Marketh. wrote:
BrandenScott wrote:Larusso wrote Briscoe's apology and now he has a match on an ROH show. He isn't a Richmond local he lives in Pittsburgh. You guys all laughed but none of you knew who Chris was before and now you will see him more and more in ROH.
That's past tense, we still are.
This.
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:The clock is ticking - http://tinyurl.com/a2mj5cp
Hopefully if you take a stand on this... it won't actually happen.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

BrandenScott wrote:Larusso wrote Briscoe's apology and now he has a match on an ROH show. He isn't a Richmond local he lives in Pittsburgh. You guys all laughed but none of you knew who Chris was before and now you will see him more and more in ROH.
I hope you're not a friend of this Chris LaRusso guy

Because if you are you seem to be trying your best to royally fuck up his chances to get into ROH
KenSmellsGood

Post by KenSmellsGood »

DieHard wrote:Sounds like a good show. Glad to hear that the main event was great.
I agree. I'm looking forward to the VOD for this show as well. I really like what they are doing with Steen. Steen has the kind of character that people get behind so having him play somewhat of a bad ass, vigilante role who aggressively takes out SCUM members is a good move. I'm glad to see they're continuing with that here.

I'm somewhat surprised that ROH kept the belt on Briscoe. I'm glad they did, but at the same time I was kind of rooting for BJ simply because I feel he deserves a run. I'd rather see BJ go over against Eddie and Davey than Jay.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

KenSmellsGood wrote:
DieHard wrote:Sounds like a good show. Glad to hear that the main event was great.
I agree. I'm looking forward to the VOD for this show as well. I really like what they are doing with Steen. Steen has the kind of character that people get behind so having him play somewhat of a bad ass, vigilante role who aggressively takes out SCUM members is a good move. I'm glad to see they're continuing with that here.
Though it does make me wonder why no one else is trying to destroy them like this. The Wolves made them tap out, but why stop there? I think they should've had the Wolves hold onto the submissions past the bell until other SCUM members could stop them.

The perfect example of this is still BJ in the I Quit match, though.
Last Real Man Hype
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Mark Briscoe's entrance

And here's something more I found

icyhot

Post by icyhot »

Very good show not without its faults but I enjoyed myself.
Support REAL Indy Wrestling and small business.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Anybody have an estimate on how long the main event went?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
KenSmellsGood

Post by KenSmellsGood »

Marketh. wrote:
Though it does make me wonder why no one else is trying to destroy them like this. The Wolves made them tap out, but why stop there? I think they should've had the Wolves hold onto the submissions past the bell until other SCUM members could stop them.

The perfect example of this is still BJ in the I Quit match, though.
That's a good point, but I think it's because they want Steen to stand out as an exception. The message that's being portrayed is "Don't fuck with Steen." It could work, but I think they need to spend more time on it. Steen needs to do more run ins and he needs to be more dominate. It worked with Austin because Austin would run in the ring and take out the entire Nation of Domination or Ministry of Darkness. Austin never would have worked if he played the "sympathetic hero" like Cena has been. Steen needs to be dominate.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

3 am on the ROH site showed this.

I wonder if the listing for the show is a mess up or it will be available later today?
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Michael Elgin vs. Kyle Matthews**1/2 - Matthews offense just didn't feel believable to me
Adam Cole vs. Adam Page***1/2 - Very good match... I haven't seen Page vs. Lethal, but this is definitely the best Page I've seen
Roderick Strong vs. Mark Briscoe*** - Solid match... definitely not the best of either guy but decent.
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Cody LaRusso DUD - A Squash. Good way to build Ciampa, not a good match however
American Wolves vs. Rhett Titus & Cliff Compton (SCUM)*** - All Wolves here, as far as the rating is concerned. Although Titus' combination of size and athleticism does make him come across well... in small doses... against superior workers...
Jay Lethal & C & C Wrestling Factory vs. Matt Taven & Team AmFishin'***3/4 - Real fun match, lots of excitement and a big boost in that C &C goes over the champs heading into BITW... seemed like it could have been a real break out for Cedric Alexander, especially considering the big singles match he has coming up with Davey (I think? Maybe its Cole... but either way...)
Kevin Steen vs, Jimmy Jacobs***1/4 - Not as good as the YWR match, but a solid scaled down version... could have done without the DQ False Finish - should have made it no DQ from the get go...
Jay Briscoe (c) vs. BJ Whitmer***3/4 - Was a **** match before the final beatdown segment drug on a little too long for me. Still MOTN, just not a MOTYC, if you get my drift. Liked the story of a wrestling match between friends getting a little overheated.

One of the worse shows of the year so far, but that really says a lot more about how good the other shows have been than the quality of this show. The Elgin/Ciampa matches were lowlights, workrate wise, but served their purpose to build to their BITW showdown. If you're on a strict budget, I imagine Jay vs. Davey will be worth 14.95 (or 12.71) moreso than this entire show, but if you can afford them both you won't be dissapointed with this one.