The misusage of Roderick Strong

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mike Adamle

The misusage of Roderick Strong

Post by Mike Adamle »

He's up to the Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards status in terms of how good he wrestles. His problem is that ROH doesn't allow his character to get invested in anything. The last feud he was in with Michael Elgin should've been better, but his character just doesn't allow him to give a shit whether he wins or loses to Elgin, or anyone for that matter.

Let him care. Let him show some aggression. Give him something to do.

Anyone else think they're grossly misusing Roderick Strong?
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Midnight138

Re: The misusage of Roderick Strong

Post by Midnight138 »

Patience may be a virtue here. It seems like something may be brewing to give Strong the attention he deserves. It started at the Chicago tapings when he confronted Nigel during the "pep rally" segment, and seems to have continued to build kind of beneath the surface. I think something big will break by the time the next iPPV rolls around.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I'm tired of Strong as a heel too. Much prefer him as a face - this isn't a "I want everyone to turn from their current alignment" thing either, just Strong - and at Border Wars he seemed to embrace that a little and it looked much more natural. Hope they build him as the veteran coming to save Ring of Honor in the SCUM angle.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

He's being used perfectly. He's getting all the attention he deserves.

ROH might as well 'let' Roddy sprout wings and spit acid, for all of the good their permission will do.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I wouldn't necessarily call it misusage. I mean his feud with Elgin only concluded two months ago, and since then he wrestled two top international talent and was sort of having a feud with Mike Mondo (or at least that was indicated by what happened at the NY Tapings). I think it's more or they don't have anything for him creatively at the moment, and that they're either waiting for something or are working on something big for him. I agree with Midnight138, I think we need to be patient. Everyone, including Delirious, knows how good he is.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Hope they build him as the veteran coming to save Ring of Honor in the SCUM angle.
I think Steen beat him to it.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

GardenStateSaint wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:Hope they build him as the veteran coming to save Ring of Honor in the SCUM angle.
I think Steen beat him to it.
I hope he's the veteran to save SCUM and provide them some ME quality matches - lack of title shot (building since that pep rally) can be the cause. And this little half assed face turn can just be a distraction to make it that much more of a surprise.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I find Strong hasn't been the same since he lost weight. I agree that his feud with Elgin wasn't that great. Thats partly because of the poorly booked 2/3 falls match.

Am i the only one who thinks hes much better than Davey and Eddie? I find Eddie and Davey are over rated as fuck.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

donkitrk99 wrote: I hope he's the veteran to save SCUM and provide them some ME quality matches - lack of title shot (building since that pep rally) can be the cause. And this little half assed face turn can just be a distraction to make it that much more of a surprise.
Five Star booking right there.

Everyone's been clamouring for Cole to turn so much that I'd honestly feel let down if Delirious actually booked it to happen. It'd predictable by this point, not to mention a waste of Cole's potential. Keep the tease from Border Wars just that, a tease, and have someone else join SCUM instead. Roddy's perfect. He's been booked forgettably enough recently that no-one would see it coming, and he'd fit into SCUM perfectly.
indyfan wrote:I find Strong hasn't been the same since he lost weight.
Agreed.
indyfan wrote:Am i the only one who thinks hes much better than Davey and Eddie?
Maybe before he lost the weight.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Isn't Roddy kind've a face anyways now? I mean, he's pretty much taken on the role of the "ROH legend" and he's not really boo'd anymore. I like this role for Roddy.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Roddy's pretty much a tweener right now

Crowds don't boo him anymore like they did back in 2011. He has the ability to be Face (while still being slightly a heelish dick).
Warbot

Post by Warbot »

Scum has been to say the least 50% hit 50% miss.
Putting Roddy,ACH and Redragons would do alot for all involved.
Also we need a lot better stronger faces to root for. BJ whitmer isn't cutting it , Steen as a face? I don't know If I can see it
I can See Roddy [S.C.U.M] Vs Jay [ROH ] match though
YES!YES!YES!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Strong is so played out by now, but he doesn't do anything to bring out personality that would make Triple H even consider giving him a decent offer.
Midnight138

Post by Midnight138 »

Warbot wrote:Scum has been to say the least 50% hit 50% miss.
Putting Roddy,ACH and Redragons would do alot for all involved.
That, good sir, is ridiculous. Strong I could maybe see, but adding ACH and reDRagon would make zero sense. SCUM is on a mission to destroy ROH. The guys who have joined believe they were not given a fair chance in ROH, or were wronged by the company. ACH has been given every opportunity so far and is becoming super popular. reDRagon are the tag team champions. Start adding guys without reason and it starts to look like the nWo "b team". Anyone who remembers that era remembers how watered down that group started to get when everyone and anyone was getting added to the team regardless of what sense it made.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Warbot wrote:Putting Roddy,ACH and Redragons would do alot for all involved.
ACH and reDRagon are exciting & interesting. They don't fit SCUM's modus operandi whatsoever.

And how can you not see Steen as a face? Do you not watch any PWG? Heck, did you not watch any of his ROH title run? The man's too likable to get booed!
Warbot

Post by Warbot »

Redragons aren't for ROH, they are for themselves..like most heels..if scum could help them take out more of the tag competition it makes sense to me and adds the tag team needed to truly fuel this faction, a faction without a grounded tag doesn't really work for me
also a ACH switch would be a change from the usual next big thing in roh..were we watch them rise, root for them only to lose interest til they turn heel..very expectantly ..later. How to turn him..well it doesn't seem to take much..look at steen's turn...wait was steen a heel in scum..that might be his biggest trouble, he's to likeable to hate, yet to much a heel in the ring to cheer..poor steen
YES!YES!YES!
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

I think Roddy is fine

I mean think about it

Since 2011 Roddy has always been near the top of the card in major angles

It's time for him to take a backseat for a little bit
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I think Strong needs to be invloved in the SCUM vs ROH storyline, he's a helluva worker and doesn't have any exciting feuds going on right now, so the SCUM feud would be perfect for him to give him something to do.
However, I'm not really interested in seeing Strong as a heel again, think about it, Strong is the worker who's been the longest in ROH (apart from the Briscoes), he would be perfect in team ROH together with Steen, Whitmer and C & C.
Jay Lethal on the other hand, I'd like to see join SCUM, now that Steen is on team ROH he might have another reason to join SCUM
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I see it as being Strong is neutral until SCUM gets in his way.
Last Real Man Hype
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

I don't really blame ROH for this one. Roderick Strong is a amazing wrestler, but he's hard for a general audience to get invested into.