ROH Returns to Toronto This August!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DieHard

ROH Returns to Toronto This August!

Post by DieHard »

As announced at “Border Wars 2013” last Saturday, Ring of Honor Wrestling will return to Toronto on Saturday night August 3rd for another huge live event. Now that all the details have been finalized, we can officially announce that on that day we will make our debut at one of wrestling's most historic venues, the old Maple Leaf Gardens, now known as The Mattamy Athletic Centre!

From Lou Thesz versus Buddy Rogers in 1963 to Harley Race versus Terry Funk in 1977 to Andre The Giant versus The Ultimate Warrior in a Steel Cage in 1989, the former Maple Leaf Gardens has seen all of the legends of pro wrestling compete within its hallowed walls. Now Ring of Honor looks to add to the legacy of this legendary arena by bringing the absolute best professional wrestling on the planet today to the Mattamy!

Tickets for this event will go on-sale for Ringside Members THIS Wednesday May 8th at 10am EST EXCLUSIVELY through Ticketmaster.ca and a pre-sale password will be distributed to those who qualify. If you would like first chance to get these tickets, then click here to read about how you can sign up for Ringside Membership for as low as $7.99 per month!

Tickets for the general public will be available on Ticketmaster.ca starting Friday May 10th also at 10am EST and then at the Mattamy Athletic Centre box office starting Monday May 13th.

Ring of Honor Wrestling
Saturday August 3, 2013

Mattamy Athletic Centre
50 Carlton St.
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1J2
Bell time – 7:30pm EST

On-Sale on Ticketmaster.ca:
Ringside Members – Wednesday May 8th @ 10am EST
General Public – Friday May 10th @ 10am EST
Box Office Sales – Start Monday May 13th
Wow. This used to be a huge venue but it's fairly big for ROH (almost 3,000 seats). If it's going to be an iPPV they will have to throw all of their big matches to (or even be close) sell-out.
MOOSE!
The Dragon Saga

Re: ROH Returns to Toronto This August!

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Ballsy as shit!

Was the Ted Reeve a sell-out? I guess their promoting a bit more ahead with this so I hope they've ideas in mind. Kevin Steen and Michael Elgin should be heavily promoted for their nationality as should anyone else with even a shred of popularity. I'm actually surprised by this but also pretty impressed, ROH obviously have confidence in the product at least.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Wouldn't surprise me if they fly in a big named japanese star for this show (Devitt, Marufuji, KENTA etc.)-
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Ballsy as shit!

Was the Ted Reeve a sell-out? I guess their promoting a bit more ahead with this so I hope they've ideas in mind. Kevin Steen and Michael Elgin should be heavily promoted for their nationality as should anyone else with even a shred of popularity. I'm actually surprised by this but also pretty impressed, ROH obviously have confidence in the product at least.
I read it was around 1100
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

My only hope is that this doesn't turn into a situation like when they left the Montgomery County Fairgrounds for the Hara Arena (which had an attendance that looked horrible on the DVD), but since it is Toronto I'm hopeful.

I'm also curious as to what type of show this will be. You'd think Manhattan Mayhem V would become an iPPV, but this show is two weeks before in another of ROH's biggest markets. I doubt both will be iPPV's.
The Dragon Saga

YimYac wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:Ballsy as shit!

I read it was around 1100
So they need to double it to even get close to a sell-out? I could see them cutting parts of this place off then.

It'd be cool if they didn't but it's nice to note I see a lot of people on Twitter already talking about it so that's cool I guess. Bit like a kick up the ass in a way.
triplexpac

Post by triplexpac »

I'm really curious to see how this move does for ROH.

Ted Reeve Arena was in "Toronto", but really it was pretty far east in the city, technically in Scarborough. Not hard to get to if you are already excited about ROH and want to go, but it is a bit of a trek if you're a casual wrestling fan just wanting to check out the product.

This new venue is right downtown, especially compared to Ted Reeve. It'll be way easier for anyone living in the core of the city to get to, or even people coming in from out of town because it's closer to transit.

Not to mention the arena itself was built recently, so it should look really nice. Being at the site of where Maple Leaf Gardens used to be is also a nice historic callback to the wrestling that used to take place there.

As for the attendance, I swear that every ROH event I've been to at Ted Reeve has had more and more people. If this new venue encourages more people to go just cause it's easier to get to, they could do their best attendance yet.
The Dragon Saga

What is ROH's biggest attendance? I'd imagine its selling out the Hammerstein a few times but this is bigger than the Hammerstein by about 800+.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

If this does a fantastic advance in ticket sales does it become an iPPV even with an August NYC date?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

They can always use the black backdrop curtains if they don't fill all the seats.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:What is ROH's biggest attendance? I'd imagine its selling out the Hammerstein a few times but this is bigger than the Hammerstein by about 800+.
Final Battle 2008 and Best In The World 2011 both had 2,500 in attendance (Hammerstein).
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

I`m pretty sure both Pride and Carribana are that weekend in Toronto. Could be they are trying to capitalize on one of Torontos hottest tourist times.

Than again, an ROH crowd full of rhastas and LGBTs may be unlikely.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

I heard the idea is to shoot for setting the arena for 1,500.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

I went to the arena last September for the UFC weigh ins. It was very nicely renovated. Very clean.

I found the Ted Reeves arena awful for general admission. Sitting behind hockey glass was unacceptable in my book. The Mattamy Athletic Centre (Maple Leaf Gardens) is also 5x better air conditioned, 10x in a better location, and from what I hear the cost of renting it is minimal.
Last edited by Mdodmod on Sun May 12, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohgod41

Post by Rohgod41 »

who cares the point is alot of great wrestling came from maple leaf gardens and roh will add to that rich toronto wrestling history from that buliding