Tavens booking

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Lone Wolf

Tavens booking

Post by Lone Wolf »

This guy is a talent but his booking is poor, all this wwe chickenshit heel type stuff. All the interference in his matches from truth martini are dragging the matches down. He needs to get a clean win(not sure if he got one against ACH never saw the match)

Martini and his girls are overshadowing him,has Taven even spoke in ROH?
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Tavens booking

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I would say not all of the Taven matches had been bad. I thought the ACH match from TV was pretty good for a TV Main Event, and I think the match from last night with Mark Briscoe was better than the Three-Way but not as good as the ACH match. I'm still going to reserve judgment on Taven until I see him wrestle someone like Elgin, one of the Wolves, etc because if he doesn't impress against them he's in deep trouble.

I will agree that the booking of Taven has not been good so far. It's entirely too much Truth Martini and not as much of Matt Taven.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I keep saying this.

Why is Truth coming out of the curtain first instead of Taven? Why is Truth confronting his opponents instead of Taven? Why is everything to do with Taven about Truth? It's actually making me really not like Martini and not in the "hes a bad guy" way but in the "why the hell is this manager getting more attention than the champion?"

I like the persona and "gimmick" they've gone with Taven, that being kind of sleazy I guess, but they need to promote Taven and not Truth Martini w/ the ROH World TV Champion Matt Taven. It doesn't just hurt Taven but it hurts the belt too.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

It could be anyone in the role Taven has right now, its all about Martini, the HOT and the HOTTIES. Just watch them when they come out for each match, Taven is just there to carry the HOT's title. Itll do him no good for the future, he'll be left floundering when the gimmick runs its course.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

I don't mind Martini being the first guy out, he is the more popular of the duo, nor the hotties, but at the same time they're not letting Taven build a character under Martini's guidance He's like a prop right now, just ask Paul London about wrestlers who are props (kudos to anyone who remembers the reference). The matches themselves he's not really showing what he's got either.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

If Martini and the Hotties came out and then stood to the side to "present" Taven and make a big deal out of it, that would be great. Taven just shuffling out behind the three of them where it's hard to even see him on camera doesn't really work.

And what the heck was Mark Briscoe doing before getting rolled up? Ha ha
typicalrohfan

Post by typicalrohfan »

I know the idea of HOT has been around for a few years but with Strong now out of the group, you have to give them a little time to develop. It takes a lil time.

And it's better than Aces and Eights.
Midnight138

Post by Midnight138 »

This is standard wrestling stuff. Looking back at managers of the past like Percy Pringle, Freddie Blassie, or Bobby Heenan, for the most part they were the focal point and the wrestler was "their guy". Taven is the young protege. It's made abundantly clear that he's got skill, but the only reason he has that TV belt is because of the guidance of Truth Martini. Also, he's the bad guy; they're not supposed to win clean. If he comes in and runs roughshod over everyone he defends against, winning clean and looking great, where is there for him to develop in a classic sense? Give it some time to develop.
EcwHardCore07

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

I feel like silas young needs to be put in the hot or strong to come back tavens needs a tag partner to hide is his weaknesses another thing is the hoopla stuff needs to be pulled back at this point you may as well give truth the tv title sense he is the star not taven and I think taven makes a better face than heel.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Why do people assume that Taven is more valuable than Truth Martini? Martini is more talented and more valuable. Without Martini, Taven belongs nowhere near the title.

Taven is a decent wrestler with a decent look and absolutely awful mic skills, as anybody who saw his pre-tapes that aired during the Top Prospect tournament got to witness. The idea behind this gimmick is that Martini is the voice and the personality and Taven is the body in the ring. It's a package act. Martini can't wrestle due to his injuries, and Taven has no charisma or promo skills. Together the idea is that they combine to equal one upper-midcard heel.

Don't worry about the "long-term damage" this gimmick is doing to Taven. Without Martini, Taven is enhancement talent.

I think the only real problem is that Taven doesn't seem comfortable working heel. He's in a tough spot for a green wrestler to be in, but I'm sure he's happy to be there.
92Cannonball

Post by 92Cannonball »

Burnside wrote:Why do people assume that Taven is more valuable than Truth Martini? Martini is more talented and more valuable. Without Martini, Taven belongs nowhere near the title.

Taven is a decent wrestler with a decent look and absolutely awful mic skills, as anybody who saw his pre-tapes that aired during the Top Prospect tournament got to witness. The idea behind this gimmick is that Martini is the voice and the personality and Taven is the body in the ring. It's a package act. Martini can't wrestle due to his injuries, and Taven has no charisma or promo skills. Together the idea is that they combine to equal one upper-midcard heel.

Don't worry about the "long-term damage" this gimmick is doing to Taven. Without Martini, Taven is enhancement talent.

I think the only real problem is that Taven doesn't seem comfortable working heel. He's in a tough spot for a green wrestler to be in, but I'm sure he's happy to be there.

I think differently. Martini is and should be the mouthpiece, but whilst matches are going on taven should be spotlighted. So far its all been about hoopla outside the ring and not about taven. Taven should also be coming out of the curtain first, him not doing so indicates that he isnt the focal point which is wrong
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I believe it was Bobby Heenan that said, "the managers job is to enhance the talent and promote their abilities, not steal the show for themselves."
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

92Cannonball wrote:
Burnside wrote:Why do people assume that Taven is more valuable than Truth Martini? Martini is more talented and more valuable. Without Martini, Taven belongs nowhere near the title.

I think differently. Martini is and should be the mouthpiece, but whilst matches are going on taven should be spotlighted. So far its all been about hoopla outside the ring and not about taven. Taven should also be coming out of the curtain first, him not doing so indicates that he isnt the focal point which is wrong
Why is it "wrong"? The whole complaint hinges on the idea that Matt Taven is this wonderful talent who needs to be shared with the world. I'm just not seeing it. Mike Mondo carried him to one fun TV match over a year ago. Other than that, I've seen nothing special from him.