Women of Honor - Yes or No?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!

Do you want to see a 'Women of Honor' division?

Yes!
58%
No!
39%
Not Bothered
3%

Total votes: 38

ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Women of Honor - Yes or No?

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

There's been debate about whether a 'Women of Honor' division should begin/restart in 2012.

I thought I'd try and gauge some sort of reaction to see if people want to see it?

Personally, I don't. I have no interest whatsoever in women's wrestling and the intermission serves perfectly well as a toilet break for me.

So, what does everyone else think? Please vote on the poll as well as posting!

Thanks.
steenisAgod

Re: Women of Honor - Yes or No?

Post by steenisAgod »

Not at the moment but if they get more TV time, absolutely.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

I don't care for women's wrestling, so no.
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

My interest in wrestling faded away about ten years ago, and for several years, I only watched my old VHS tapes. It came back early in 2009 when I discovered Shimmer. From there, I explored the world of indy wrestling and bought DVDs from various promotions. (I still don't watch WWE or TNA.)

I had high expectations of ROH, but the first event I watched was a huge disappointment. One of the reasons to start with this specific show (Showdown in Motown) was the womens match (Allison Danger vs Daizee Haze), and they gave them less than 3 and a half minute.
I checked the results of other shows and had to find out that it's common in ROH to give the women about 40% of the time of the shortest mens match. (Not always, but pretty often.)

While I understand that the women are only in the lower card and that there will not be a womens match on every show, I see no excuse for making the matches shorter than other undercard matches.
So I decided only to buy DVDs of shows featuring a womens match of acceptable lenght. Usually I bought one ROH DVD together with each Shimmer DVD.

At "Honor Takes Center Stage", the situation looked promising.
But when Sinclair took over, I missed any sign that wrestlers aren't exclusively male. With every show and TV taping passing by, I became a bit more angry.
I recently bought some older shows and I will buy the one from Collinsville, with Mia Yim's first match in ROH. But that's all, my decision still stands.

ROH sends me emails, announcing sale after sale, but the price is not the point. I enjoy the shows, but I also want to support good indy wrestling. I deliberately purchased when there was no sale.
If ROH gives the women enough time, no discount is necessary. If they don't, no discount will do.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Not a fan of women's wrestling, Ill admit to being pretty ignorant towards it but from what Ive seen Ive never really gotten into the matches
cviens

Post by cviens »

As long as Sara Del Rey is involved.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

Women's wrestling has gotten such a bad wrap. I cant say Im an expert, but there are plenty of women that can deliver in the ring. The problem is some people dont pay attention because of what theyre used to from the "divas" and some dont pay attention because they dont look like the divas. ROH is about giving the fans diversity in the ring. The best high-flyers, the finest technical wrestlers, the best brawlers, so why not the top women wrestlers? I think one of the problems is theyre not given a fair shake. Not enough time to develop feuds, not enough time to build matches, and theres not enough different faces to make it seem like we're seeing the same thing every time.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I miss seeing Daisy Haze so that's why I voted yes. A lot of women in the business are hot, but can't wrestle. She is not one of them.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I'm voting 'no' for this - but only because I don't believe the following problems from the previous 'Women Of Honor' era will be addressed

- lack of WOH roster depth. No disrespect, but the constant circuit of Daizee and Sara squashing various opponents, facing each other then going back to squash matches really got to me

- an improved talent roster. Dave Prazak's excellent SHIMMER promotion shows what depth of ability there is in American Joshi. I'm not saying they need to be breaking the bank and bringing in Japanese women all the time, but there is a LOT of very promising North American based talent. I appreciate she's loyal, and is a trainer at the school, but for my money Daizee Haze is NOT in even the Top 5 best female workers not signed to the 'big 2' right now. That she was so prominently featured in the WOH division was a real turn off

- the WOH division is taken seriously, and given suitable time allocations in matches. Case in point, to me at least, comes from the two Kong/Del Rey singles matches in 2010. Both of those were CRIMINALLY short. Even the HTCC Joshi tags weren't exactly 'lengthy'. I'm not saying they need 20 minute matches on every show, but I can't say I want talented women like Sara Del Rey to be wasting their time and talents coming to ROH to work 4 minute matches

If the above could be addressed, and a core roster of 4-6 genuinely talented women were given the chance to put on decent matches, with decent time allocations - with credible writing and watchable gimmicks to back them up - I'd definitely be interested.

If not, I'd just ask the fans missing the WOH to go check out SHIMMER - which needs their money and blows ANYTHING the Women Of Honor division ever did out of the water
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

I think it would mix things up a bit, I would definitely like to see more womens wrestling.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

I was never interested in it in the first place, definitely not interested now. Just not my thing.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
rivvabandit

Post by rivvabandit »

I definitely think that women's wrestling can add variety to a wrestling show. With many promotions emphasizing a certain type of wrestler of style of wrestling. Variety in wrestling shows can be lacking, especially in ROH and WWE.
Rudas_Iskariot

Post by Rudas_Iskariot »

if they are good at wrestling then yes, otherwise no
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

No.

I actually enjoy womens wrestling when done right, but right now ROH needs to focus on their main roster and product, maybe in the future they can have a womens division too.

Although I do think that Princess Mia, Maria, and others added to the roster as valets or other figures would be benificial.
beardogg

Post by beardogg »

yes , only after the homecomng . the reson is give the ladies a fresh start
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

I'd only like to see a few womens matches here and there once the roster is abit more established/deeper.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

Not right now but if ROH gets off the ground and becomes something bigger (than it is now) then I say sure, why not?! :P
Last edited by FairPlay on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davew00d

Post by davew00d »

I think the fact that my WOH articles were amongst the most talked-about ever on this site (if not the most talked-about) told it's own story. There's a definite market out there, that isn't being catered to. There are also quite a few women, with ROH history, (like Daffney and Del Rey), who'd love to be given an opportunity like this.

From my perspective, I can see more good young talent in women's wrestling, right now, than men's wrestling (MMA has had a big hand in changing the make-up of the talent pool). Any wrestling promotion that doesn't look to capitalise on this incoming wave of talent will be doing itself a disservice, going into the future. In my opinion, women are going to be vital to the survival of pro wrestling.

I think that the "piss break" prejudice against women's wrestling, that exists amongst many fans, can be put down to the antiquated female product that Vince McMahon puts on. I'd challenge any non-believer to watch some of Kana's work from SMASH, or any SHIMMER DVD. Eye-opening, refreshing stuff.
cviens

Post by cviens »

ROH could even use some SHIMMER talent for this considering SHIMMER only tapes so often. I would love to see women like Sara Del Rey, Daffney, MsChif, Madison Eagles, Portia Perez, and Ayako Hamada. Even Ayumi Kurihara and Kana if they could manage it in between their Japanese dates (and Mexico dates in Ayumi's case since she holds a title in CMLL).
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Gotta say no just because they won't use them right so why bother.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld