Interview with Caleb Seltzer

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Interview with Caleb Seltzer

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Hey guys,

Our interview with Caleb Seltzer is now up: http://rohworld.com/rohcast-episode-81/

Seltzer talks to us for over an hour all about how he got involved with ROH. He talks about his start in the wrestling business, how he got into play-by-play and the challenges of changing to color commentary. Caleb opens up about his time in ROH so far, some of the negative reaction he has received, what the future holds for him and also farts and sharts. This is an eye-opening chat that we think will change some people’s minds.

Thanks!
Marketh.

Re: Interview with Caleb Seltzer

Post by Marketh. »

So far, it doesn't surprise me he's a cool guy, and I still don't think he's terrible. I still believe there's just no need for a guy that similar to Kevin Kelly, especially when Kevin's laid on pretty thick.

Since he apparently looks at this place, there's nothing malicious going on in making fun of you, Caleb, it's just so easy. That guy being a c*nt in the other thread is in the minority.
Last Real Man Hype
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Ok, that was pretty fucking great.

Now I actually want Caleb to host Inside ROH, unfiltered and with the same enthusiasm as this interview.
Last Real Man Hype
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

He seems really excited to be getting the opportunity, which is very good for the commentary to have that excitement.

I would love to see right now a Kelly, Caleb and Corino team for the iPPV's because I do agree that Kelly and Caleb are very similar and they need that heel aspect in the booth.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I really want to hear this guy on Play By Play on the DVDs now with Steve Corino. From the sounds of it he thinks he's a lot better and a lot more comfortable with PBP than colour commentary, so I'm now intrigued to hear his better work.
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

Great interview. Caleb seems like a very genuine and funny guy. Also kudos to you guys for ending it on the discussion of Farting/Shitting... I'm glad the ROHCast keeps raising the bar, never disappoints. :)
UnkleWheez

Post by UnkleWheez »

Great interview. I like Caleb. I just said he didn't mesh well with Kevin Kevin Kelly. I might buy whatever DVD he did some work on. which one is it?
For more of my ROH Views, visit here http://myrohblog.blogspot.com/.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I'll cut him some slack for only being 21 (I'd have guessed he was 25 or 26) but honestly if anything this interview made me like him even less. I just don't share his high opinion of his abilities.

His apparent belief in the old cliche that "it doesn't matter whether people love or hate you, as long as they're paying attention" isn't actually true. It's just what people say when the attention they're getting is almost all negative.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Him being 21-years-old is actually mind-blowing. I doubt he'd many issues buying alcohol the last few years by the look of him.

I don't know why some people immediately presumed he knew little about ROH's history. So what if he didn't to begin with? Kevin Kelly admits he knew damn all until he came into the company but the more he learns the more he likes it! Caleb admitting that he's a guy made for WWE rather than ROH takes some balls to me, not many people on the indies whether they be commentator or wrestler really says that, but it shows he's aware of what he sounds like.

He says himself that he's to his own knowledge a stand-in, and is waiting to be told when their bringing an actual color guy in. If they can nab someone like Pearce than by all means, great choice, but if they can't find someone the fans actually value than replacing Caleb is redundant. I don't think hes that bad, in fact hes probably better than Michael Cole at commentating, which isn't all too difficult considering what hes told to say.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
if they can't find someone the fans actually value than replacing Caleb is redundant.
They can't find Nigel McGuiness or Steve Corino?
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

I really should have posted about Team AmFishin' in the questions for Caleb thread to thank him for marking me out by using the name I came up with. If you're out there Caleb, thank you!
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Burnside wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:
if they can't find someone the fans actually value than replacing Caleb is redundant.
Caleb addressed McGuinness, they want him in the authority role and judging from the SCUM shoot I don't think Corino wants to sit at a commentary table, he wants to wrestle.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Burnside wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:
Caleb addressed McGuinness, they want him in the authority role and judging from the SCUM shoot I don't think Corino wants to sit at a commentary table, he wants to wrestle.
When asked if Nigel was removed from the booth due to his accent, Seltzer didn't or couldn't answer directly.

Neither Corino being a wrestler nor Nigel being an authority figure would prevent either of them from also doing color commentary.

Seltzer on color actively hurts the product.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

As most i was shocked at his age, now considering his age as well as his small amount of time in pro wrestling he is decent enough, he needs improvement and it seems he knows that and i'm sure he will grow into the role and once he gets older he wont be that weird guy that most 21 year olds tend to be.

My main complaint over the commentary is kevin kelly. His commercial, fawn nature is unbearable. No commentator worth there salt should shout oooo when a move is hit and that tag line of soaring and scoring is on it's last legs, he by in large dilutes the product as a whole far more than anything Seltzer has done, and as Seltzer has said Kelly is in the driving seat and pushing where the commentary heads and it's painful at times.

If Ring of Honor can get a stronger personality or at least a more adult personality with Seltzer i think we will see a better combination.
Beebo

Post by Beebo »

I agree; having Caleb do a "similar to Kelly" style is a mistake. Differentiate the two. It'll make Kelly's job easier and ought to ease the pain you're feeling.
Die Harder

Post by Die Harder »

to me he came across as a bit of a douche... one who is using his time in ROH as a stepping stone to try and get in the WWE. while quite a few people though the interview helped get him over it did the opposite for me. He seemed self motivated and disingenuous in his love for the ROH product.

in saying that it was a 40 minute interview, i could be completely wrong.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Die Harder wrote:to me he came across as a bit of a douche... one who is using his time in ROH as a stepping stone to try and get in the WWE.
Welcome to 99% of the people in wrestling