Review for Death Before Dishonor X

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

9/15/12

Kelly and Nigel on the mic

World Tag Team Title Tournament Semi-Final #1: Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. S.C.U.M (Steve Corino & Jimmy Jacobs)

Nice technical start to things breaks down quickly and becomes a four way brawl. C+C on top early, SCUM cheats to get them on top. Neither of them stays on the offence for long. Finally Caprice gets cheap shotted, then Corino hits a backdrop suplex for the pin.

**3/4. It just never really clicks, which is something I felt was a theme for Jacobs and Corino in their matches.

Survival of the Fittest Qualifier: Silas Young vs. Tadarius Thomas

Great to see Silas Young back, and I like TT, though he's still green and learning the ropes. Thomas dominates a large portion of the match and his martial arts unconventional style helps make him unique. Young never really gets a chance to get into gear as Thomas counters everything he has. It's a fast paced match that has Thomas winning with a kick to the head.

**3/4. Nice showing by the rookie, but I really wanted to see Young cut loose.

ACH vs. Kyle O'Reilly

ACH comes out firing hitting with a lot of agile maneuvers that makes you want to see more. Kyle manages to hit a suplex outside the ring and turns the tables. ACH rallies and lasts a while longer than I thought it would, allowing him to show more of his stuff. However Kyle locks on a triangle choke and gets the win over the showcase guy.

***1/4. While it's a good win for Kyle, ACH proved himself in that one.

World Tag Team Title Tournament Semi-Final #2- Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Rhett Titus & Charlie Haas with Shelton Benjamin

Titus and Haas are totally working as two individuals rather than a tag team. Despite that they have a lot of success. The Briscoes don't get that many moves in as Titus manages a surprise victory roll for the win.

**3/4. I would have preferred seeing the Briscoes win, but oh well.

Jay Lethal vs. Homicide

This is Lethal using his new Killer Instinct gimmick. Cide and Jay have bad blood dating back to the Rottweiler days. It's a solid match, which you don't always get out of Cide nowadays. Theme in the match is Jay can't beat Homicide. A Hail to the King and 2 Lethal Injections, and even a Superkick can't keep Cide down. He remains defiant until Jay hits a new finisher, A Cradle DDT for the pin.

***1/4. The ending really worked for me.

House of Truth (Roderick Strong & Michael Elgin) vs. Irish Airborne

This was when HoT was treading water on when they would break up, which should have happened at the previous ippv. IA have improved and nice to see them back. Elgin and Roddy can't even agree on when to tag, but still dominate the majority of the match. What offence IA get in looks good and makes me want to see them again. But they are booked weak as Elgin goes on to single handedly dismantle them until Roddy sneaks in a tag and get the easy pin.

***. Having HoT drop the match and implode here would have made more sense, but oh well again.

TV Title Match: Adam Cole vs. Mike Mondo

Hardy joins on commentary. Mondo insists on a 'Mondo Rules' match, which means no time limit or count outs, which Cole agrees to. Good start to things with Cole repeatedly working over Mondo's leg. Cole looks his typical sharp self and why he's future world championship material. Mondo gets his own shots in and shows his solid workmanship. Gets more back and forth with a lot of action outside the ring (Mondo Rules, remember) Cole eventually manages to get Mondo with the Figure Four Leglock of all things and gets the win.

***1/4 Post match has Hardy diss Cole to start their feud.

Tag Team Tournament Finals: Titus & Haas vs. S.C.U.M

Again T+H are two individuals in the ring, which allows SCUM to be in charge for long stretches of the match. Very bland match because the teams just don't mesh in any way. Benjamin manages to sneak in a hit on Jacobs and Titus gets in his face for it. This results in Benjamin hitting Paydirt on him and Jacobs grabbing the win and the titles.

**. Easily the worst match of the night. WGTT beatdown on Titus like they do at every show. well, either on him or the Briscoes.

ROH World Title Match: Kevin Steen vs. Rhino

Rare heel on heel and two heavyweights going at it, and it's no DQ. The pair brawl outside the ring, firing up the crowd like no other match this evening. Once inside the ring Rhino has the advantage until Steen groin shots him and tosses Rhino around. Then it gets even more brutal with tables and chairs making an appearance. But it all works. Say what you will about Rhino, but this is absolutely his forte, and Steen can work with anyone. This turns into a really good match. Just as it looks like Rhino will win Corino appears and invokes their ECW days in Rhino. But he ends up eating a Gore for his troubles. Steen actually manages to Gore Rhino. But Martini and Roddy take their turn (remember, all heels here), to cause mayhem and give Rhino time to recover. Ending finally comes with Rhino missing a Gore and Steen hitting F5 for the pin.

***3/4 and easily the match of the night. Postmatch has Elgin finally break from the HoT because Roddy got shoved into him one too many times.

Overall rating: ***1/4. Weakest of all the DBD. The main event was good, and it was nice to see the new talent, but the tag tournament booking was poor.
Last edited by DBSommer on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DieHard

Re: Reviiew for Death Before Dishonor X

Post by DieHard »

I HATED this show. This was probably the first (and hopefully last) ROH show I couldn't watch until the end because of how bad everything their was.
MOOSE!
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

DieHard wrote:I HATED this show. This was probably the first (and hopefully last) ROH show I couldn't watch until the end because of how bad everything their was.
I thought Boiling Point from last year was worse than this show. :/
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

Between the mediocre quality of this show and the failure of the iPPV broadcast, I think this was the kick in the pants ROH management needed, because not long afterwards Delirious was back in charge and the next PPV tore the house down.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DieHard wrote:I HATED this show. This was probably the first (and hopefully last) ROH show I couldn't watch until the end because of how bad everything their was.
This!!
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
oldandyounger

Re: Review for Death Before Dishonor X

Post by oldandyounger »

Steen vs. Rhino sounds really interesting but otherwise this show sounds lacking
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

During 2012, I wasn't really into buying iPPV's for one reason or another.

But this one had ACH's debut, and I'm a big ACH fan. And it had a Tadarius Thomas match, as well as a big tounrnament.

So I figured I'd buy it. But that was an awful decision. I spent like two hours at my computer, doing everything I could to get the show to work. But nothing.

I got to watch it eventually, but it was just sour in my opinion due to that joke debacle. Like damn. But I got a free DVD of the show, which was cool.

I wound up not buying GBH the next month. Totally ordered Final Battle, though. And probably the next 3 shows as well.

Production-wise, and show-wise, things have gotten a LOT better.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

BigTChamp wrote:Between the mediocre quality of this show and the failure of the iPPV broadcast, I think this was the kick in the pants ROH management needed, because not long afterwards Delirious was back in charge and the next PPV tore the house down.
I mean there was some decent matches but with the stream problems, the terrible booking (Haas and Titus? holy fuck this thing was one of the worst ideas I have ever seen) and overall atmosphere I felt like this show was the highlight of everything that was bad with ROH atm.
MOOSE!
xOZx2010

Post by xOZx2010 »

Yeah, I can agree with the fact that this DBD felt extremely lackluster when compared to past DBDs. DieHard you said it right, I felt like this particular show did indeed highlight everything wrong with the company at the moment. That being said, some of the action on the show was solid, but after trying to order the iPPV and getting screwed out of watching it live, when I got the DVD in the mail as compensation I was more than underwhelmed by what I saw. Overall a very weak show, but when stacked up against some of TNA's PPVs or even the WWE's recent PPV outings for that matter, it wasn't completely god awful.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

There were a lot of things going wrong with this going into it. This show and Haasamania were, I think, the essence of what was wrong with Cornette's booking last year.

The main thing was obviously the tag tournament. The whole Haas teaming with Titus thing was just odd and really strange. Plus, Haas had a valid point...why do the tournament when Benjamin would be back by Caged Hostility? The S.C.U.M. stipulation was also completely unnecessary. I think what would have been better is if they made it a 4-Way Elimination Match for the Vacant Titles (like the one at Best in the World 2011). Since they didn't get their rematch against ANX, give WGTT the first spot. You could still have those Tournament matches but as qualifiers (C & C vs. The Bucks, Briscoes vs. BLK OUT, SCUM vs. Bravados). You could further the SCUM story by having Cornette say they'd need to beat two teams to qualify, so have them win a second match against Strong & Elgin (continues both the SCUM & HOT dissension stories).

So it would have been Briscoes vs. C&C vs. WGTT vs. SCUM (with maybe Titus as the ref. or something). That would have been much better, more sensible & given other things on the card more time (8 matches should be your max...no need to do 9).
ROH4Ever

Post by ROH4Ever »

Show was meh