Anyone Else Bored of Grizzly?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Anyone Else Bored of Grizzly?

Post by Marketh. »

He's gone from funny lumberjack comedy jobber to just a small guy with a beard whose life story you never hear the end of. I'm watching his match with Charlie Haas and I swear Kevin Kelly said "He may not be the biggest dog in the fight..." like three times. And these matches are all the same. Grizzly gets praised, he has a lot of counters, he comes oh-so close, but the opponent cuts him off and finishes him in a couple moves, which is almost the entirety of his opponents' main offence through the whole match.

The Roderick match, for example. When Roddy faced Pelle Primeau a few years back, it was a chop and Backbreaker massacre. It was epic. This time, Grizzly got more offence than Roddy.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not heartless when I say I'm bored of his life story. But I don't need to hear about him surviving being born premature constantly as if that's his actual gimmick.

The guy needs something new to take away from the fact that we all know he's going to happen in his matches. If you want him to have a ton of offence, turn him heel. It worked in CHIKARA and I'd be kinda interested in it here, with him using his size to escape punishment from the babyfaces. And all his constant reversals will make it all the more satisfying when he finally gets caught and destroyed.
Last Real Man Hype
DieHard

Re: Anyone Else Bored of Grizzly?

Post by DieHard »

Agreed.

He makes wrestlers look bad. While it's not as bad as his matches with Elgin and Bennett, it still not good. Plus his matches as you said are always the same, he never changes his offence, it's always the Sleeper Hold, DDT from the Top Rope, etc..
MOOSE!
tlova86

Post by tlova86 »

Crazy part s he got a title shot vs Kevin Steen before The Briscoes, Adam Cole, BJ Whitmer, Kyle O' Reilly, Bobby Fish and any other person on the roster
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

tlova86 wrote:Crazy part s he got a title shot vs Kevin Steen before The Briscoes, Adam Cole, BJ Whitmer, Kyle O' Reilly, Bobby Fish and any other person on the roster
It doesn't mean that much since every Steen's match is for the title..
MOOSE!
Flosch

Post by Flosch »

I personally don't mind him that much. BUT the "little guy with the biggest heart" backstory is kinda strange, because he loses every single match. Make him win once in a while, if only at houseshows, to give him more credibilty than "oh, he always fought against all odds".
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Well he did have that win over QT, but I don't really want to see Grizzly dominate or have competitive matches. We know he's never going to be anything big anymore, why not have him in the Pelle Primeau role? Jobbers, unless they're local talent, aren't really jobbers in ROH because they're too competitive. I want to see a guy get absolutely destroyed.

Grizzly isn't an underdog, his size clearly isn't stopping him. He'd be a better underdog if he was getting obliterated and kept coming back for more, rather than getting much offence.
Last Real Man Hype
Tim

Post by Tim »

Matt Sydal never recieved a ROH title match but Grizzley has...

I think they should just drop him, he's not intresting, not that good in the ring, and even the lumberjack gimmick (when he used it) felt out of place in ROH (although it was amusing at first).

Lets be honest, he only has his spot because he went to the ROH school.
Flosch

Post by Flosch »

Marketh. wrote:Well he did have that win over QT, but I don't really want to see Grizzly dominate or have competitive matches.
Me too, but the combination of the gimmick, the heartwarming video packages and the subsequent losses are just strange. It doesn't help Grizzly, it doesn't help his opponents because (like you said) they won't completely destroy him. Either make him believable - which I don't want - or make him a jobber - which is kinda sad.
92Cannonball

Post by 92Cannonball »

i want him to stay if only for mondos commentary on him which is frickin hilarious! ie cmon griz you can do it while hes getting package piledriven!
i dont have a problem with him as a worker though, offers something different
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

I've been sick of him for years. Don't get why he's used.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

BTW10 wrote:I've been sick of him for years. Don't get why he's used.
LigerSword

Post by LigerSword »

Cheeseburger has managed to get 10x as over as Grizzly in little over a month.
Kikuchiyo

Post by Kikuchiyo »

He's fine as a jtts. As long as they don't do with him what they did with Mondo, I'm fine with him on the roster.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:
BTW10 wrote:I've been sick of him for years. Don't get why he's used.
Grauated the ROH school
Kikuchiyo

Post by Kikuchiyo »

LigerSword wrote:Cheeseburger has managed to get 10x as over as Grizzly in little over a month.
Bobby Dempsey was just as over then he started wrestling.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Kikuchiyo wrote:
LigerSword wrote:Cheeseburger has managed to get 10x as over as Grizzly in little over a month.
Bobby Dempsey was just as over then he started wrestling.
I never got the hate for Bobby personally. I always thought if they had stuck with him as a solid midcarder after the Sweet n Sour thing it would've been fine.
2 Gatz

Post by 2 Gatz »

I'd prefer to not see him in ROH at all.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

They should bring back that Mitch Franklin dude who I just watched get destroyed by Tank Toland at Reborn Again.

But yes, he's fallen into that Alex Payne, Andy Ridge, Pelle Primeau, Davey Andrews, ROH student getto where they're vaguely interesting for a while but just don't have enough to them to keep them around. Titus is really the only one to make it out of there.

As to Dempsey, he got stale real fast once he wasn't abused anymore. Mostly because... he's not that good.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

DBSommer wrote:They should bring back that Mitch Franklin dude who I just watched get destroyed by Tank Toland at Reborn Again.

But yes, he's fallen into that Alex Payne, Andy Ridge, Pelle Primeau, Davey Andrews, ROH student getto where they're vaguely interesting for a while but just don't have enough to them to keep them around. Titus is really the only one to make it out of there.

As to Dempsey, he got stale real fast once he wasn't abused anymore. Mostly because... he's not that good.
It seems like the students have a bigger wall to climb than if you're someone just from the indies.

PS: You forgot about the Bravados
Kikuchiyo

Post by Kikuchiyo »

YimYac wrote:
It seems like the students have a bigger wall to climb than if you're someone just from the indies.
The wall's are just bigger from Grizzly's perspective.