Caleb Seltzer leaving?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Caleb Seltzer leaving?

Post by Big Red Machine »

Burnside wrote:Seems like a nice guy, but he's not working and it's silly to use him when you have two vastly superior options in Nigel and Corino already right there. Seltzer calling Rhino a "missionary" instead of "mercenary" and pronouncing Davey's former team as "No Remorse Corpse" over and over at 11YA was cringeworthy. ROH doesn't need a booth inhabited by Kevin Kelly and a less-talented Kevin Kelly.
This.

At his best, all Seltzer did was just spout off lame cliches. If he is leaving, I am glad.
The Instant Pop

Post by The Instant Pop »

Having your Authority figure on commentary all the time seems to open up too many wonky moments. Like if a guy cheats in a match and the authority figure is right there...how does he save face and not look terrible at his job? Same goes for interference or any other heel activity.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The Instant Pop wrote:Having your Authority figure on commentary all the time seems to open up too many wonky moments. Like if a guy cheats in a match and the authority figure is right there...how does he save face and not look terrible at his job? Same goes for interference or any other heel activity.
This is true, which is why I hope they get Nigel out of the babyface authority figure role ASAP and just put him back in the booth. The babyface authority figure is a death spot.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Current commentary is terrible; Seltzer and Kelly are just awful together. This past week on TV during Mia/MisChif when Veda Scott joined was unbearable and beyond awkward.

I think ROH should just try to get someone new and phase out both Caleb Seltzer and Kevin Kelly. Kevin hasn't gotten any better over the years and his, "Wow! Look at that!", "What a move!", "Have you ever seen anything like that?!" exclamations are beyond annoying. I'm not saying ROH is known for their fantastic commentary, but they've never had anybody as generic or annoying as Kelly (Or at this point, Caleb).

A new team with new people would be a very welcome breath of fresh air.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Jeremy wrote:
I think ROH should just try to get someone new and phase out both Caleb Seltzer and Kevin Kelly. Kevin hasn't gotten any better over the years and his, "Wow! Look at that!", "What a move!", "Have you ever seen anything like that?!" exclamations are beyond annoying. I'm not saying ROH is known for their fantastic commentary, but they've never had anybody as generic or annoying as Kelly (Or at this point, Caleb).

Oh no. They had plenty of guys way more generic than Kelly, especially in the early days when they rotated in announcers every 2-3 shows to team up with "DANGEROUSSSSSS!!!" Gabe and his various incarnations. It wasn't until Prazak came along the finally settled down and wisely phased Gabe out. Even when Hero did some commentary it felt bland, which surprised me since I like Hero.

Does anyone have a list of every announcer ROH has had? Off the top of my head I recall (spelling might be off on some of them)

Donnie B, Corino, Mark Nulty, Eric Santamaria, Bill Burger, Grizzly and Shane Hagadorn (Yep, Buffalo Stampede 2), Doug Gentry, Chris Nelson, Punk (He was gold from the start), Jerry David, Eric Gurgliano, Hogewood , Hero, Prazak + Leonard (who were probably the best) and I'm sure I missed some others who came and went in a show or two.

Not exactly a who's who there. While Kelly isn't the best, he's higher on the list than most of those guys.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

I honestly would have Caleb Seltzer be a backstage interviewer and do Inside Ring of Honor as a team with Veda Scott. I have felt Inside ROH has been dull for months and maybe having two hosts that could work off of each other and hone their broadcasting skills so that maybe one day one of them can replace Kevin Kelly would be best for the both of them. Until then I think that Bruce Rumsburg is absolutely phenomenal. I think adding him would be so great. He is young, funny, and is so entertaining. He'd be my choice to replace Caleb. Him or Adam Pearce.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Bryce on commentary for ROH would be amazing