ROH Hunt For Gold 2013 Review

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DieHard

ROH Hunt For Gold 2013 Review

Post by DieHard »

ROH Hunt For Gold 2013 Review:

BJ Whitmer & Rhett Titus vs Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly - **1/2
Fun opener, really enjoyed the minutes with Whitmer and O'Reilly in the ring, looking forward to their future match.

Jay Lethal vs Steve Corino - **1/4
Don't know, felt really short. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but when it ended I was like "that's it?" which sucks because Corino and Lethal were over and the match really started to pick up.

Silas Young vs Roderick Strong - ***
Surprisngly Young was in control in the match and he did an awesome job. He's a great heel and got good heat in the match, he needs to be signed. Strong was stiff and the face in this match which made the match really fun.

ROH World Championship: Kevin Steen vs TD Thomas - ***1/4
This match was exactly what I hoped to be. An extended squash with Steen playing the crowd and having fun, felt like a PWG match honestly. Thomas offense looked pretty good here and the Dragon Suplex looked great and got very good reaction. Steen is probably the best worker in the roster right now, very good match, wouldn't mind seeing a future match because how fun the match was (yeah, it's the third match I said that was fun, the atmosphere in this show is very different).

- Charlie Haas is awesome once again.

Jimmy Jacobs vs Adam Cole - ***3/4
Wow. This is the best Jacobs' match I have seen in a long time. He looked really motivated and they clicked really good. Great back and forth match, the Sliced Bread on the apron and the last superkick were both awesome spots. Wish we'll see more of Jacobs in the future, what a waste of talent. Whoever says Jacobs is "washed-up" needs to watch this.

Rhino vs Michael Elgin - ***1/4
Woah, Rhino is insanly over. Good match here that made Elgin look great, glad he kicked-out of the Gore. Rhino's ROH run is great and I have no idea of there's still people who are negtive about him. Yeah, he shouldn't be anywhere near the Main Event, but right now he's pefrect for his current role.

ROH World Tag Team Championship: American Wolves vs Briscoes - ****
Long and great match. Reminds me of older ROH Tag Team main events.

Overall:
8.0/10, strong way to open the year. Everything was good to great in my opinion and with the great crowd I can say it def was worth the price.
MOOSE!
187_Joeism

Re: ROH Hunt For Gold 2013 Review

Post by 187_Joeism »

Show looks really good
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

ROH The Hunt For Gold
Dearborn, Michigan 1/18/13

1.) Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly vs. BJ Whitmer & Rhett Titus: ***

2.) Steve Corino vs. Jay Lethal: **3/4

3.) Silas Young vs. Roderick Strong: ***1/4

4.) ROH World Title - Kevin Steen vs. Tadarius Thomas: ***1/4

5.) Charile Haas vs. Two Local Talents: DUD

6.) ROH World TV Title Proving Ground Match - Jimmy Jacobs vs. Adam Cole: ****

7.) "The Man Beast" Rhino vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin: ***1/2

8.) ROH World Tag Team Titles - The American Wolves vs. The Briscoes: ****1/4

Overall: 8.25/10

Really Solid House Show. Debated on ***3/4 or **** for Jacobs/Cole but I liked it a lot so I gave it ****
Last edited by DXvsNWO1994 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

LOL seems like the first two shows of 2013 were better than any house show in 2012. It's going to be a great year..
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Overall: 7.75/10

Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly vs. BJ Whitmer & Rhett Titus – ***

Jay Lethal vs. Steve Corino – **1/2

Roderick Strong vs. Silas Young – ***1/2

Kevin Steen(c) vs. TaDarius Thomas (ROH World Title) – **3/4

Charlie Haas vs. Trey Miguel & Brent Daniels – SQUASH

Adam Cole vs. Jimmy Jacobs (Proving Ground Match) – ****

Michael Elgin vs. Rhino – **3/4

The Briscoes(c) vs. The American Wolves (ROH World Tag Team Championship) – ****
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Agree with TS that O'Reilly/Whitmer will be a great singles match. BJ looked treeeemendous in that match, I thought. Made me wanna see Whitmer/Steen told to go have the best match of the night on some card, somewhere, in the future.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Anybody else go ****1/4 for Cole/Jacobs? Or at least think it was awfully close?
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

There's never been an ROH show named "Hunt for Gold" before...
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
burrhead

Post by burrhead »

BlackLesnar wrote:There's never been an ROH show named "Hunt for Gold" before...
It's the title for the 1/18 show from Dearborn,MI.You can order and watch it on the ROH website before it's released on dvd.The next nights show in Milwaukee is available too(Defy or Deny 2).
burrhead

Post by burrhead »

Really looking forward too seeing this,as well as Defy or Deny 2,but will wait for the dvds I guess.Find it interesting though that the overwhelming majority of us thought the Milwaukee show would be the better of the two leading up to that weekend,but seems the Dearborn show has been seen and reviewed more than the Milwaukee show.

Still wanna see them both badly though.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

burrhead wrote: It's the title for the 1/18 show from Dearborn,MI.You can order and watch it on the ROH website before it's released on dvd.The next nights show in Milwaukee is available too(Defy or Deny 2).
Yes, I am aware of this.

I was expressing confusion at why on Earth it has the "2013" tagline when it's the first show to ever be named as such.

Is it pre-emptive? Are they intending to give the Wolves a Tag Title shot every January from here on out? Are they already planning a Hunt for Gold 2014/2015/etc.?
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

BlackLesnar wrote:
burrhead wrote: It's the title for the 1/18 show from Dearborn,MI.You can order and watch it on the ROH website before it's released on dvd.The next nights show in Milwaukee is available too(Defy or Deny 2).
Yes, I am aware of this.

I was expressing confusion at why on Earth it has the "2013" tagline when it's the first show to ever be named as such.

Is it pre-emptive? Are they intending to give the Wolves a Tag Title shot every January from here on out? Are they already planning a Hunt for Gold 2014/2015/etc.?
DieHard seems to do that for all his reviews.

Probably just in case there are future installments of the name, it helps prevent confusion/is easier to search for.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Ah, I assumed it was he actual ROH-given name of the show. No matter then.
burrhead

Post by burrhead »

BlackLesnar wrote:
Yes, I am aware of this.

Sorry bro.Didn't realize what you were asking but see what it was now.
EcwHardCore07

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

ROH The Hunt For Gold

Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly vs. BJ Whitmer & Rhett Titus: ***1/4

Steve Corino vs. Jay Lethal: **1/2

Silas Young vs. Roderick Strong: ***1/2

Kevin Steen vs. Tadarius Thomas: ***

Jimmy Jacobs vs. Adam Cole: ****

"The Man Beast" Rhino vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin: ***

The American Wolves vs. The Briscoes: ****1/4

Overall: 8.25/10
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Really enjoyed this show. Cole and Jacobs stole the show, dont think itll be anywhere near MOTY but its a great start and gives us plenty to look forward to in 2013, particularly from Jacobs. Corino was brilliant on commentary.

The Steen-TD was a fun squash, Elgin-Rhino was very very good, my type of match (2 powerhouses killing each other) would love to see them go at it again but the ending suggests they wont.

Wolves/Briscoes was as expected, they are definately saving their absolute best for ippv, a cracker nontheless.

Will definately get the DVD.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

ROH The Hunt For Gold
Dearborn, Michigan 1/18/13

1.) Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly vs. BJ Whitmer & Rhett Titus: **1/2

2.) Steve Corino vs. Jay Lethal: **1/4

3.) Silas Young vs. Roderick Strong: ***1/2

4.) ROH World Title - Kevin Steen vs. Tadarius Thomas: ***1/4

5.) Charile Haas vs. Two Local Talents: DUD but fun

6.) ROH World TV Title Proving Ground Match - Jimmy Jacobs vs. Adam Cole: ***3/4

7.) "The Man Beast" Rhino vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin: ***1/4

8.) ROH World Tag Team Titles - The American Wolves vs. The Briscoes: ****

A very strong house show, but I was perhaps hoping for a little more from both of the first two matches, and I'd have liked the crowd to be a bit more alive, but all in all a very strong show. My mate who I watched it was totally in love with the main event, giving it ****1/2, which I felt it was quite a way from, so maybe I wasn't quite in the right mood to watch wrestling when I watched this, and that's why my ratings are a little lower than others. I still very much enjoyed the show though
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

Jacobs/Cole was phenomenal. Jimmy brought his A-game, and Cole kept up. My favorite thing about the match is that the counters MADE SENSE. Jimmy's reversal into the END TIME was awesome, and for once, the guy looked like he was given the chance to wrestle like he's was a big deal. If there's such a thing as vintage Jacobs, this match showcased it perfectly.

Cant say enough positive things about this match. **** from me. Rest of the show was kinda meh. Briscoes/Wolves was pretty crappy im my opinion.