Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Burnside

Re: Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

Post by Burnside »

I'd love to see the list of things they're not allowed to say.

It's the last paragraph, the "I know when it's time to get serious" bit with him, that I'm totally unconvinced about. Those are the matches where I most miss having Nigel in the booth.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I'll say 'hit him in the ding ding' or 'over the top rope DQ.' I try to leave myself open for people to say 'Oh, there's no over the top rope DQ there, you dummy!' I open up myself for that, because you want people to fill in the blanks.
Translation: I don't care if people have heard the same joke several times per show.
Last Real Man Hype
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

Do most viewers even get the top rope DQ joke? I fucking doubt it. That said, I laugh every time because ridiculous
'ding ding' just makes it sound like he's 8
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: I figured this was supposed to be referencing that time Whitmer gave her an a wrist-clutch exploder suplex which Gabe used about a year later to set up a mini-feud between Whitmer and Daniels that got interrupted by the CZW stuff.
What an obscure reference to bring up on commentary, especially given Kelly and Corino's usual complete disregard of any pre-SBG history.
I am watching the VOD of Reloaded Tour: Dearborn, and, with Kelly and Whitmer on commentary Kelly brought this up once again, so it is entirely possible that they did, in fact, advance a major angle on a C-level house show.
Following up on this, I thought Whitmer and Kelly were actually a great team on commentary. Definitely better than Kelly and Corino.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I think the main problem Kevin Kelly and Corino currently have, is that now that they got more comfortable working together, every time Corino makes a joke, Kelly starts playing along with it, and tries to react in a funny way, but since he's really not that funny, he just kills half of the jokes, as opposed to the beginning of their pairing, when they weren't as comfortable yet together, and, also in part because of Corino still being a heel, every time Corino said something stupid, Kelly would not play along with the joke.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

To some measure I should expect that Kevin Kelly is not privy to the major happenings before SBG, but his calling of the Danielson Stomps as the "kicks to the head that Eddie Edwards used" was really disappointing. Almost as disappointing as the lack of pop due to O'Reilly's slim to none chances of winning.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote:To some measure I should expect that Kevin Kelly is not privy to the major happenings before SBG, but his calling of the Danielson Stomps as the "kicks to the head that Eddie Edwards used" was really disappointing. Almost as disappointing as the lack of pop due to O'Reilly's slim to none chances of winning.
In Kevin's defense, he didn't call it "the kicks to the head that Eddie Edwards used. What he said was that Eddie Edwards used to win a lot of title matches by stoppage, which is at least partially true (I don't remember how many it was, but it definitely happened often enough).
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Eddie tended to use his stomps to the head in a different position, either from the half crab or from a countered rollup. Capturing the wrists, using a romper stomper, and then going for the triangle were distinctly Bryan’s.

The calling came of as pretty ignorant, even for Kevin Kelly.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote:Eddie tended to use his stomps to the head in a different position, either from the half crab or from a countered rollup. Capturing the wrists, using a romper stomper, and then going for the triangle were distinctly Bryan’s.

The calling came of as pretty ignorant, even for Kevin Kelly.
He wasn't saying Eddie used stomps from that position. All he was saying is that Eddie used to win by stoppage.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Well my point was that Kevin Kelly undersold the significance of that move as it hasn't happened during a big match since Bryan and Nigel's last match.

The obiter dicta regarding Eddie Edwards' was at first kind of funny in Kelly's posthumous pursuance of him getting over, but he plain missed the mark during a pivotal moment.

Selling the move squarely in terms of kayfabe without any historical context was, I am sure, not the intention of O'Reilly, Lethal, or the match agent.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

*Elgin goes for another Powerbomb after the crowd chants "ONE MORE TIME"*

Corino: THAT'S WHAT A GREAT BABYFACE DOES! HASHTAG BIG MIKE

Is there a term for when a ridiculous, deliberate smarky reference gives you the shivers?
Last Real Man Hype
Big Red Machine

Marketh. wrote:*Elgin goes for another Powerbomb after the crowd chants "ONE MORE TIME"*

Corino: THAT'S WHAT A GREAT BABYFACE DOES! HASHTAG BIG MIKE

Is there a term for when a ridiculous, deliberate smarky reference gives you the shivers?
Shivers? Or makes you shake with rage?
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Kevin Kelly on Nana handing Will Ferrara an envelope:
"That's the same kind of envelope he gave to Coleman!"
Are you kidding me? Fucking every envelope in the history of envelopes has looked the exact same fucking way. Of course they look the same. It's a fucking envelope! :x
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Yeah, Kelly took it to another level of annoying with the hard sell of the envelope. Thank God Nigel has been around the past few weeks. I hope he never leaves.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I'm guessing he could tell by the particular quality of paper that's used by African royalty and it just didn't show up well on tape.
Big Red Machine

jordidebaas wrote:Kevin Kelly on Nana handing Will Ferrara an envelope:
"That's the same kind of envelope he gave to Coleman!"
Are you kidding me? Fucking every envelope in the history of envelopes has looked the exact same fucking way. Of course they look the same. It's a fucking envelope! :x
So technically Kevin Kelly was correct.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I'm guessing he could tell by the particular quality of paper that's used by African royalty and it just didn't show up well on tape.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

"You can go back to the Reloaded Tour in Atlanta on video-on-demand and hear the obscenity by Stokely Hathaway that cost him $200!"

That's right, fans. For the low low cost of just $14.95 you can hear a guy say the word "pussy"! #watchroh
Last Real Man Hype
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Marketh. wrote:"You can go back to the Reloaded Tour in Atlanta on video-on-demand and hear the obscenity by Stokely Hathaway that cost him $200!"

That's right, fans. For the low low cost of just $14.95 you can hear a guy say the word "pussy"! #watchroh
Amazing. He should keep going with this.

KELLY: Fans, go back and order the VOD of All Star Extravaganza 2014 to hear Jay Briscoe call Michael Elgin a "big pumpkin head bitch" - which would have cost him $83.74 on today's market!

MR. WRESTLING III: Hitting him right in the ding-ding, Kevin Kelly!

NIGEL: For God's sake , get yer 'ands up!!!
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Did Dr. Evil have anything to do with those fines ?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.