Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Re: Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

Post by Marketh. »

On Will Ferrara:
"Now that's a young man that I could get behind!"

Keep it in your pants, Kevin.
Last Real Man Hype
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Am I the only one who noticed Kelly calling Mr Wrestling 3 Corino at one of the Japan shows?

Guess not. The closed captioning put it up, too. Kayfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe!!!!! How dare they spoil this most important angle?
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Luxur333

Post by Luxur333 »

Hey, everyone! History is important to know well for every intelligent person in order not to make the same mistakes again. Follow this source to learn more http://skywritingservice.com/blog/hasht ... -to-use-it
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Luxur333 wrote:Hey, everyone! History is important to know well for every intelligent person in order not to make the same mistakes again. Follow this source to learn more http://skywritingservice.com/blog/hasht ... -to-use-it
This seems like an oddly specific thread to drop spam in, considering how far back it was in the archives. What are the odds that this link is to a picture of someone hiring a skywriter to write some of Kevin Kelly's most bizarre comments in the clouds?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

For five continuous months (and Kelly's not the only culpable offender):

"Kai-matachi"
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Speaking of commentary did anyone hear Matt Striker and Vampiro's rather amateur and unprofessional attempt for triple A, Kelly and Corino aren't my favourite pairing but at least they try for the most part to keep it professional although a bit too "trying to be pals" at times.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

This week's episode of TV, Kevin Kelly was introducing a video package about the whole Whitmer/Sullivan/PUNISHER Martinez deal.

Except twice he referred to the latter as 'Punishment' Martinez.
Big Red Machine

TYFDK wrote:This week's episode of TV, Kevin Kelly was introducing a video package about the whole Whitmer/Sullivan/PUNISHER Martinez deal.

Which is pretty much inexcusable on a taped show, and makes me wonder whether or not anyone actually bothers to watch the episodes through before they send them off.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Big Red Machine wrote:
TYFDK wrote:This week's episode of TV, Kevin Kelly was introducing a video package about the whole Whitmer/Sullivan/PUNISHER Martinez deal.

Which is pretty much inexcusable on a taped show, and makes me wonder whether or not anyone actually bothers to watch the episodes through before they send them off.
Punisher Martinez changed his handle to @ROHPunishment and is going by Damien Martinez now, Kevin Kelly might be correct here.
Big Red Machine

YimYac wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

Punisher Martinez changed his handle to @ROHPunishment and is going by Damien Martinez now, Kevin Kelly might be correct here.
Seems a little silly to change the guy's name in such a minuscule way when you've already had him on TV under the original name.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Big Red Machine wrote:
YimYac wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Which is pretty much inexcusable on a taped show, and makes me wonder whether or not anyone actually bothers to watch the episodes through before they send them off.
Seems a little silly to change the guy's name in such a minuscule way when you've already had him on TV under the original name.
Might have gotten cold feet on Punisher because of the comic book? I dunno, grasping, here.
Big Red Machine

FanSinceHDNet wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
YimYac wrote:
Might have gotten cold feet on Punisher because of the comic book? I dunno, grasping, here.
A quick Wikipedia search reveals very few people or properties titled or nicknamed "Punisher" that aren't Marvel doings, so you might be on to something with that, although it is worth noting that two of those that do use it as a nickname are MMA fighters.
My feeling would be that there is no reason not to keep doing it until they send a cease and desist order. Also if it were me, I would have just started calling him "Damien Martinez" instead of changing "Punisher" to "Punishment."
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

The first time he was on screen (when he and 3 other big guys destroyed Colby Corino, ordered by BJ Whitmer, and btw that's some continuity there huh) he was referred to as Punishment Martinez, I'm pretty sure. I myself prefer Punishment also, it's funnier.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Kevin Kelly sets the record straight during ROH on SBG #266:

"One of my most favorite matches in 2016 was recently on the Reloaded Tour in Pittsburgh--and it's available now at ROHwrestling dot com. Jonathan Gresham wrestled Delirious, who's one of my favorites."
Jay Lethal's Hair

Post by Jay Lethal's Hair »

Wilson wrote:Kevin Kelly sets the record straight during ROH on SBG #266:

"One of my most favorite matches in 2016 was recently on the Reloaded Tour in Pittsburgh--and it's available now at ROHwrestling dot com. Jonathan Gresham wrestled Delirious, who's one of my favorites."
I'll give him this - it was such a specific recommendation and an off-the-beaten path suggestion that it made me perk up when I caught it.

Big time wink wink on the Delirious bit though. :lol:
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Bumping this up to see where everyone is with commentary today. I don't watch like I used to, but from what I so far have been exposed to this year, commentary, especially from Riccaboni and Cabana, has basically improved at least twofold. Riccaboni seems to have a decent sense of authority and cadence, and Cabana is basically just a ball of energy, quick to react and selling big spots.

Has anyone come into a firm stance on this? If losing their entire commentary team didn't slow them down, maybe there's a chance they can defenestrate/re-elect a certain booker.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wilson wrote:Bumping this up to see where everyone is with commentary today. I don't watch like I used to, but from what I so far have been exposed to this year, commentary, especially from Riccaboni and Cabana, has basically improved at least twofold. Riccaboni seems to have a decent sense of authority and cadence, and Cabana is basically just a ball of energy, quick to react and selling big spots.

Has anyone come into a firm stance on this? If losing their entire commentary team didn't slow them down, maybe there's a chance they can defenestrate/re-elect a certain booker.
I used to hate Riccabonni when he did some comentary last year, but in 2017 he has improved a lot. But, I must admit that I miss Corino. I loved his work on comentary. He's a man with a lot of experience and knew when it was good to be funny. I enjoyed a lot his work. His did an awesome job in his last two NJPW shows with Kelly.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Riccaboni is fine. Nothing great but nothing awful. Cabana seems to be the best option to replace Corino but he is no Corino.
Big Red Machine

Riccaboni is a better version of Kevin Kelly in that he has many of Kevin's problems but doesn't have that cadence that Kevin has that makes everything feel phony. He could be a good announcer if he learns to:
1. Not make credibility-killing overstatements
2. Not keep getting facts wrong
3. Learn to only say things that are truly relevant to the match.

I have, however, mostly enjoyed both Cabana and Silas on color commentary.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Big Red Machine wrote:Riccaboni is a better version of Kevin Kelly in that he has many of Kevin's problems but doesn't have that cadence that Kevin has that makes everything feel phony. He could be a good announcer if he learns to:
1. Not make credibility-killing overstatements
2. Not keep getting facts wrong
3. Learn to only say things that are truly relevant to the match.
Bingo