Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Re: Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

Post by Marketh. »

"Well Corey Hollis, who certainly has a tremendous boner..."

I've listened to this 5 times now and can't tell what Kevin Kelly actually said, so I'm sticking to this conclusion.
Last Real Man Hype
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Marketh. wrote:"Well Corey Hollis, who certainly has a tremendous boner..."

I've listened to this 5 times now and can't tell what Kevin Kelly actually said, so I'm sticking to this conclusion.
LOL he said motor.
barryrobinson

Post by barryrobinson »

At Death Before Dishonor he states Adam Cole's journey started when he attended an ROH show when he was 9 years old. Cole was born in 1989. ROH started in 2002, obviously.
Braggis

Post by Braggis »

barryrobinson wrote:At Death Before Dishonor he states Adam Cole's journey started when he attended an ROH show when he was 9 years old. Cole was born in 1989. ROH started in 2002, obviously.
In fairness, thats not Kevin Kelly's fuck-up.

I think the "Cole was a kid who loved RoH and dreamed of being champion" is a storyline thing from back when Cole was Babyface and he was just playing to that.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Braggis wrote:
barryrobinson wrote:At Death Before Dishonor he states Adam Cole's journey started when he attended an ROH show when he was 9 years old. Cole was born in 1989. ROH started in 2002, obviously.

I think the "Cole was a kid who loved RoH and dreamed of being champion" is a storyline thing from back when Cole was Babyface and he was just playing to that.
Sure it's Kevin's screw-up. he said something that it is easy to factually establish is untrue. All he had to do was not give a specific age, and this would have been a great thing to say. Once he gives an age that would require a young Adam Cole to have built a time machine in order for his statement to be true, it is his screw up.
barryrobinson

Post by barryrobinson »

Braggis wrote:

In the early SBG days, the Tales of the Tapes stated the wrestlers age instead of their pro debuts. You've been watching since 2012, you should know this.
Scottanized

Post by Scottanized »

SOARING ANNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD SCORINNGGGGGG
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

I don't fault Kelly for having some attempt at kayfabe. When Cole was face, the boyhood dream story fit.
Scottanized wrote:SOARING ANNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD SCORINNGGGGGG

Goaded twice by Corino; hasn't said it. I hope that stays the same.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
felkerpat

Post by felkerpat »

"I gotta wonder is there some sort of collusionary effort here between Adam Cole and Bobby Fish of reDRagon?"

COLLUSION IS BACK!
Saying a wrestler isn't good because they're not in WWE is like saying a musician isn't good because they're not in Nickelback - Chuck Taylor
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

felkerpat wrote:"I gotta wonder is there some sort of collusionary effort here between Adam Cole and Bobby Fish of reDRagon?"

COLLUSION IS BACK!
After they have successfully colluded together for a while, there's bound to be dissension!
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Elgin goes for his Samoan Drop/Fallaway Slam combo:

"No way...look at this...unbelievable!"

Really? You've only seen it six billion times. To be fair, Kevin Kelly sounded sarcastic.
Last Real Man Hype
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Marketh. wrote:Elgin goes for his Samoan Drop/Fallaway Slam combo:

Really? You've only seen it six billion times. To be fair, Kevin Kelly sounded sarcastic.
But isn't this the job of an announcer? To hype the match up, make it look better, point out key moves that wrestlers are doing? Kelley has been working for 20 years as an announcer, there's not a lot he hasn't seen already, but his job, and it is an important one, is to put over these spots and matches as need be.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

I did note that I think Kelly and Corino did a good job of explaining Cole's character change during the slower heel beatdown portion of the three-team tag on this week's show.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Just got the new Adam a Cole set delivered and during his ROH title win Kelly says Cole has been watching ROH since he was 9 years old. Which would be quite a feat since that was back in 1998.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Ladrao12 wrote:
Marketh. wrote:Elgin goes for his Samoan Drop/Fallaway Slam combo:

But isn't this the job of an announcer? To hype the match up, make it look better, point out key moves that wrestlers are doing? Kelley has been working for 20 years as an announcer, there's not a lot he hasn't seen already, but his job, and it is an important one, is to put over these spots and matches as need be.
Yes. This is the announcer's job. But don't use a word that doesn't fit. Don't call something "unbelievable" if you have seen it a million times before.
"Fantastic"
"Spectacular"
"oh what strength show by Elgin!"

All of these (and many other) words would have fit perfectly.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Who cares
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

"Hey, speaking of baby making, let's go to Bobby Cruise!"

I think by now, Kevin is self aware and is a genius when it comes to awkward humor. A true pioneer.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Bizarre Hilarious Michael Elgin Commentary:

Kevin Kelly: "The pressure's on for this match, are you going to sleep between now and next Saturday?"
Elgin: "You gotta sleep."
KK: ". . ."
Last Real Man Hype
LigerSword

Post by LigerSword »

Just a soundclip of Elgin saying his catchphrase playing whenever he was asked a question would have been infinitely better.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

If anyone was bad on commentary at Global Wars, it was Michael Elgin.