Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Re: Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

Post by Marketh. »

I am thankful the standard is so low that ROH's commentary looks good in comparison.
Last Real Man Hype
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

On the same episode of ROH TV:
During Brutal Bob/Cheeseburguer: "Their last match ended in a stoppage!"
In the main event: "There are no stoppages in professional wrestling!"
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Leo C wrote:On the same episode of ROH TV:
HAH! I caught that too, hilarious.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
To be fair, I believe the second time he meant stoppage as in "Lethal was asking for a time out" not a referee/medical stoppage. He still should have used a different word, though.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
To be fair, I believe the second time he meant stoppage as in "Lethal was asking for a time out" not a referee/medical stoppage. He still should have used a different word, though.
I'm sure you're right about that, but the lack of delineation between the 2 quotes would be confusing to a fan tuning in for the first time thus making it sound hilarious in its' complete ineptness.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I'd like Kevin Kelly to stop trying to make "King Corino" happen. Nobody is ever, ever going to call Steve Corino that.

Calling him "King" constantly on commentary makes Corino seem like a poor man's Jerry Lawler.

I inwardly cringe a little bit every time.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Burnside wrote:I'd like Kevin Kelly to stop trying to make "King Corino" happen. Nobody is ever, ever going to call Steve Corino that.

Calling him "King" constantly on commentary makes Corino seem like a poor man's Jerry Lawler.

I kinda get the feeling the Jerry Lawler connection is what they're going for. I mean, the effort he puts into calling him King every time can't be for nothing. Although, yes, I have NO idea what the possible upside for this is, but stranger things have happened.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Didn't Corino write a blog article about that and something like it's because he's a former world champion and he wanted newer fans to know about it ? Because you know, that's the only way to do that apparently.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Him stealing Lawler's nickname while Lawler's still a commentator makes that heart attack joke just seem more awkward and sinister than it already was. What's really going on here?
Last Real Man Hype
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

187_Joeism wrote:People like to trash them a lot but i think we should be thankful for having Corino/Kelly, they are miles away from any WWE (NXT included), LU or TNA commentary.
whats wrong with LU commentary? I've only seen some scattered matches + Ultima Lucha, mainly cos I find the presentation a bit harder to digest, more respecting it than enjoying it sometimes. But the Australian guy who did Ultima Lucha I thought was a very good commentator. Don't really know about Stryker or Vampiro though
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Vampiro's awful, he's constantly burying the tactics of the competitors
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Big Red Machine

IchaelMelgin wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:People like to trash them a lot but i think we should be thankful for having Corino/Kelly, they are miles away from any WWE (NXT included), LU or TNA commentary.
whats wrong with LU commentary?
Matt Stirker is f*cking terrible. He make sh*t up, he contradicts himself, he says dumb crap, makes random, irrelevant, dumb comparison just to let everyone know he is geek.

Vampiro is okay, although he occasionally says stuff that is so out of left field that it comes across like complete and total speculation, but he says it like he thinks it is an absolute fact.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Vampiro is probably the most entertaining commentator there is imo. Completely insane, sure, but really funny and adds a lot of excitement. I doubt he'll be there for season 2 of LU (if there is one) though.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Leo C wrote:
Burnside wrote:I'd like Kevin Kelly to stop trying to make "King Corino" happen. Nobody is ever, ever going to call Steve Corino that.

I kinda get the feeling the Jerry Lawler connection is what they're going for. I mean, the effort he puts into calling him King every time can't be for nothing. Although, yes, I have NO idea what the possible upside for this is, but stranger things have happened.
I've heard Corino make the comment that he wants it to be along the lines of King Curtis Iaukea, where it has nothing to do with being a king but is just a title. I still don't understand it but that's apparently where he's getting it from.

It doesn't bother me that much since he's been known as the "King of Old School" for years and is just a way to distinguish between his wrestling character and commentary character. It's not like no one has ever changed their name in wrestling before.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Nana during the last match of the gauntlet at FOH (where Cedric and Watanabe were both still completely fresh):
'These men are both still fresh, they could go for ten minutes.'
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

jordidebaas wrote:Nana during the last match of the gauntlet at FOH (where Cedric and Watanabe were both still completely fresh):
In fairness, with Cedric and Watanabe, that's a pretty fair estimate of how long they can go in a singles match before blowing up.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Burnside wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:Nana during the last match of the gauntlet at FOH (where Cedric and Watanabe were both still completely fresh):
In fairness, with Cedric and Watanabe, that's a pretty fair estimate of how long they can go in a singles match before blowing up.
What? This makes 0 sense.
Big Red Machine

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Marketh. wrote:"BJ Whitmer enjoys making other people miserable. I knew this 10 years ago, when he was hanging out with Allison Danger. Now, he thinks I won't say what went on 'cause he's a true jerk. He knows what he did."

So did Corino, on a VOD C-level show, just make a fairly big advance of the plot of the BJ feud during a skippable BJ/Romantic Touch match? BJ screwed and dumped Corino's sister?
I figured this was supposed to be referencing that time Whitmer gave her an a wrist-clutch exploder suplex which Gabe used about a year later to set up a mini-feud between Whitmer and Daniels that got interrupted by the CZW stuff.
What an obscure reference to bring up on commentary, especially given Kelly and Corino's usual complete disregard of any pre-SBG history.
I am watching the VOD of Reloaded Tour: Dearborn, and, with Kelly and Whitmer on commentary Kelly brought this up once again, so it is entirely possible that they did, in fact, advance a major angle on a C-level house show.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Corino did an interview w/ WrestlingInc and had a little bit to say about how he and Kelly do commentary. I know it's not "bizarre" or anything, but it's a neat little look into how they do it.
ROH has also been working with Destination America. Have you received any feedback from Destination America about your commentary?

"No, which is good because they don't hate it. I joked about it, but I'm the most unprepared announcer in the history of professional wrestling. It's basically my job to say what's on my mind. I try to be entertaining and something different than what you see in WWE, TNA, Lucha Underground or GFW, or any other style of announcers. I like good guys, I like bad guys, I have a man crush on Adam Cole, the hatred I have for BJ Whitmer. I try to be so many things.

"People have to remember, I've only been doing this job for two years, so I'm still learning as I go along. I didn't go to a school of broadcasting, I've been a wrestler for 20 years. I want to give the impression, love it or hate it, that this is a guy who still loves wrestling, and it could be commentary you hear if you're in the living room watching with your buddies. It doesn't have to be the best or the worst commentary, but I want to portray that myself and Kevin Kelly are two guys that love professional wrestling that are telling you our thoughts on professional wrestling every week. Are we over the top on some things? Absolutely.

"There's also a surprise factor where we're not produced that much. We may have something in our ear that tells us we're going to break or to make sure to remember something, but we're basically on our own from the first match to the main event. I think it's very different and it's working for it. I haven't gotten any memos from Destination America about what I say on the air. I do have a guide, though, that we had gotten from ROH offices that I'm not allowed to say, so I stay away from those."

But you're still allowed to say 'hit right in the ding ding,' so at least there's that.

"Right! If you say 'p---s' then people….ugh. I try to be as third grade as possible. If it's too out there, then it could go over somebody's head or be right in their face. I'll say 'hit him in the ding ding' or 'over the top rope DQ.' I try to leave myself open for people to say 'Oh, there's no over the top rope DQ there, you dummy!' I open up myself for that, because you want people to fill in the blanks.

How much emphasis are you asked to put on a certain narrative by Ring of Honor?
"Nah, I wish I was. There are times I get so excited about something that they probably want the emphasis on something else. The whole screaming superkick thing was something I did on a house show that we thought was fun and different. My infatuation with Adam Cole is something. I wanted to see if someone would stop telling me to do it, but they have a lot of faith in Kevin and I. Kevin's been doing this a long time, he knows what he's doing, and he's a great person to throw up something for me to run with. He knows my sense of humor.

"There are times like Roderick Strong vs. Jay Lethal when the time for joking is over, and I'm excited as possible. It's a world championship match, and I go from color commentator to analyst, just to wear different hats and be completely different. In WWE, it's sports entertainment. We all know it and love it, and that's what makes WWE. Ring of Honor has to be that hybrid of so many different styles. If the announcers are the same as WWE, why wouldn't people just watch WWE instead of us?"
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

It's an explanation, all right. Not one that makes me reconsider thinking they're terrible, though.
Last Real Man Hype