Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
lariat_tubman

Re: Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

Post by lariat_tubman »

via pwinsider
I think Kevin Kelly is a good play by play commentator, but I'm watching NJPW on AXS TV and Mauro Ranallo is great, maybe the best I've heard since Joey Styles. Do you think ROH should try and sign Ranallo? I think he can make ROH even that more fun to watch.

Ranallo is awesome, but Kevin Kelly is perfect for Ring of Honor. I don't think ROH should replace him
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Kelly is fucking God-awful at conveying passion and emotion, which is critical for a sports broadcast. Fucking low-rent trash and one of the underlying reasons I didn't bother to stay current with ROH viewing in 2011.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

supersonic wrote:Kelly is fucking God-awful at conveying passion and emotion, which is critical for a sports broadcast. Fucking low-rent trash and one of the underlying reasons I didn't bother to stay current with ROH viewing in 2011.
I try to not look at things as bad if I don't like them, just not my taste. But yeah, I honestly do not get how someone could argue him being a good commentator.
Keith_from_MN

Post by Keith_from_MN »

lariat_tubman wrote:via pwinsider
I think Kevin Kelly is a good play by play commentator, but I'm watching NJPW on AXS TV and Mauro Ranallo is great, maybe the best I've heard since Joey Styles. Do you think ROH should try and sign Ranallo? I think he can make ROH even that more fun to watch.

Ranallo is awesome, but Kevin Kelly is perfect for Ring of Honor. I don't think ROH should replace him
I question the recommendation of anyone who thinks that Joey Styles was a good commentator.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Put Kelly backstage or in the office. And get someone new in. Even better if that someone can keep King in check as well.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

lariat_tubman wrote:via pwinsider

Ranallo is awesome, but Kevin Kelly is perfect for Ring of Honor.
As a father figure, maybe.
Last Real Man Hype
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, Kelley is probably my least favourite thing about ROH at the moment. His call lacks any passion or emotion, he doesn't get across or even seem to properly understand half the storylines and he doesn't even call any of the moves. As a play-by-play guy, he's useless.

Maybe he's really good on the production side of things, but unfortunately he just seems locked into the commentary position for the foreseeable future.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

All we need is for him to go "what a maneuver" and we'll have 80's-90's Vince. But Vince could sell big moments
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Granted its only been two weeks since ROH got on DA but on twitter and the comment sections of news sites I've seen a lot of KK and KC love, which I am pretty surprised by to say the least.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

lariat_tubman wrote:Granted its only been two weeks since ROH got on DA but on twitter and the comment sections of news sites I've seen a lot of KK and KC love, which I am pretty surprised by to say the least.
Keep in mind many people are only ever listening to the Raw announcers or the TNA announcers. As bad as Kelly is, he must sound like Howard fucking Cosell to someone who has Michael Cole, Josh Mathews, Al Snow, JBL, Lawler, or Mike Tenay as their only real basis for comparison.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

I'm a big Cole defender, since when he is on point, he is REALLY on point imo. And his work on coaching and directing the NXT commentary has been good. But I can see how that makes sense.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Sandy Fork wrote:I'm a big Cole defender, since when he is on point, he is REALLY on point imo. And his work on coaching and directing the NXT commentary has been good. But I can see how that makes sense.
It's pretty clear that Cole is quite talented and might very well be a good announcer were he not announcing Raw and being made to do it in keeping with WWE's unbearably sterile and lifeless production style, complete with forced fake laughter at unfunny comedy, bizarre Orwellian language restrictions, and non-human dialogue, Maggle.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Michael Cole has always had the reins put on him though, you could only see his true expression in brief glimpses—which are generally pretty good. Seeing the bowdlerization and neutering of Lawler and JBL have been the much more crushing blows. Jerry Lawler may have even been my favorite at one point…

As for Kelly and Corino, I’m sure that they might make a decent first impression to some. Unlike most teams, they actually seem to have a friendship that extends beyond the one hour tagalong to get through another night of pro wrestling shenanigans. It is not until several shows that their distinct flavor of commentary is fully revealed and in turn fully reviled.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Josh Matthews is decent when he isn't going heel in his commentary.

The big question: Is Kevin Kelly ROH's Schiavone?
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

lariat_tubman wrote:Granted its only been two weeks since ROH got on DA but on twitter and the comment sections of news sites I've seen a lot of KK and KC love, which I am pretty surprised by to say the least.
These people have only heard the "over the top rope DQ" joke once or twice, tbf. Once they start wondering who the fuck Thunderbolt Patterson is, they'll start to turn.
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Kelly: "Death Before Dishonor, the eighth edition, will be coming to you live from Baltimore on July 24."

And yeah, the amount of people I see saying how terrific Corino and Kelly are always surprises me. The thing that might piss me off the most about ROH right now is when those two are completely ignoring the match and just babbling on about something no one cares about; meanwhile they have a terrific commentator in McGuinness just being completely unused.
For crying out loud, as much as we made fun of Caleb Seltzer he even seems like an upgrade at times.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I'm watching last weekend's episode now. Kevin Kelly at his most computationally robotic:

"He [Jay Lethal] also defends the World Heavyweight . . . The World Title . . ! Jay Lethal will defend the World Title!"
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

"Mark Briscoe could be the ROH World Television Champion, a dream of his since he was a kid!"
Last Real Man Hype
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

"BJ Whitmer enjoys making other people miserable. I knew this 10 years ago, when he was hanging out with Allison Danger. Now, he thinks I won't say what went on 'cause he's a true jerk. He knows what he did."

So did Corino, on a VOD C-level show, just make a fairly big advance of the plot of the BJ feud during a skippable BJ/Romantic Touch match? BJ screwed and dumped Corino's sister?
Last Real Man Hype
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Marketh. wrote:"BJ Whitmer enjoys making other people miserable. I knew this 10 years ago, when he was hanging out with Allison Danger. Now, he thinks I won't say what went on 'cause he's a true jerk. He knows what he did."

So did Corino, on a VOD C-level show, just make a fairly big advance of the plot of the BJ feud during a skippable BJ/Romantic Touch match? BJ screwed and dumped Corino's sister?
I figured this was supposed to be referencing that time Whitmer gave her an a wrist-clutch exploder suplex which Gabe used about a year later to set up a mini-feud between Whitmer and Daniels that got interrupted by the CZW stuff.