Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Re: Bizarre Kevin Kelly Commentary

Post by Marketh. »

Martini keeps coming up with all these great lines, which just get butchered by Kelly's over-the-top fake-sounding reactions.

Truth: "I'm not used to Caleb Seltzer and Kevin Kelly sitting so far away from each other, why don't we just huddle together in a circle, jerk?"

KK: "Don't call me a jerk!"
Truth: "I didn't."
KK: "Oh my- Tell me you didn't just say that. I hope the censors are quick on- err, I stepped in it."
Last Real Man Hype
shettler

Post by shettler »

Martini's comments this week were cheesy and eye-rolling at best, childish and immature at worst. Truth is a good talker, but circle-jerk & ball jokes are pretty low-brow.
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

shettler wrote:Martini's comments this week were cheesy and eye-rolling at best, childish and immature at worst. Truth is a good talker, but circle-jerk & ball jokes are pretty low-brow.
But hilarious.
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

If it wasn't for Martini on the last couple of episode of TV, I'd have to mute it. Kelly and Seltzer are a terrible combo and when they were joined by Mondo a couple of weeks ago, they almost killed pro wrestling there and then.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

From this week's TV:

"Posey uses a leg drop..... as a formidable offensive weapon."

Kelley was never a good announcer, but over the years he's actually gotten worse.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

Apparently Im the only one who thinks he adds a lot to a match with his commentary. Him and Nigel together are great. KK is the hype man, with a great knowledge of the history of what he calls, while Nigel calls the in ring action and adds his own two cents here and there.

I think Kevin Kelly is a big upgrade over some of the guys they've had. He's top 3 in terms of lead guys who have been there a while. Not great, but not terrible in the least. Compared to his peers like Mike Tenay (as mentioned) and Jerry Lawler it could definitely be worse.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

"So who will QT Marshall's opponent be?"
*Music hits, local talent comes out*
"Hey! It's..."
Last Real Man Hype
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

A gem from Dragon's Reign:

"Alchemy? I don't think that's even a word."
Last Real Man Hype
Six String Samurai

Post by Six String Samurai »

Eh, still better than some of the other older commentary teams ROH has had.
Yugiohnoonoo
Banned
Banned

Post by Yugiohnoonoo »

Kevin Kelly is an alright commentatoe in my book.
[cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

"ACH said he's been dreaming of wrestling Jay Lethal since he was a kid."

Lethal is 2 years older than ACH.
Last Real Man Hype
JSP

Post by JSP »

Not much weirder than Prazak saying Tyler Black idolized Jimmy Jacobs growing up back on the first HDNet show. Still stupid either way, of course
krispywrestling

Post by krispywrestling »

JSP wrote:Not much weirder than Prazak saying Tyler Black idolized Jimmy Jacobs growing up back on the first HDNet show. Still stupid either way, of course
Weird as they may sound, both of these instances are accurate, though. It has to do with Jacobs and Lethal starting very young, so when Black and ACH were still teenage fans, they were watching those guys wrestle.

Jacobs had been wrestling for 7 years before Black started. Black has talked many times of how he would attend indy shows and ROH shows as a fan before he got trained. There are some IWA Mid South DVDs where you can see Black sitting in the front row, watching Jacobs wrestle.

Jay Lethal started wrestling in 2001. Same situation. When ACH was 13 years old, Lethal was already a wrestler. If ACH was an ROH fan at age 16, he was watching Lethal defend the Pure Title.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

On this week's TV show, he claimed that 3.0 were "descended from Rick Martel." I'm like 99.99999999% sure that's not true.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

krispywrestling wrote:
JSP wrote:Not much weirder than Prazak saying Tyler Black idolized Jimmy Jacobs growing up back on the first HDNet show. Still stupid either way, of course
Weird as they may sound, both of these instances are accurate, though. It has to do with Jacobs and Lethal starting very young, so when Black and ACH were still teenage fans, they were watching those guys wrestle.

Jacobs had been wrestling for 7 years before Black started. Black has talked many times of how he would attend indy shows and ROH shows as a fan before he got trained. There are some IWA Mid South DVDs where you can see Black sitting in the front row, watching Jacobs wrestle.

Jay Lethal started wrestling in 2001. Same situation. When ACH was 13 years old, Lethal was already a wrestler. If ACH was an ROH fan at age 16, he was watching Lethal defend the Pure Title.

This
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

krispywrestling wrote:

Fair enough. They should get you to do a commentary for his commentary to explain everything else.
Last Real Man Hype
K.O.

Post by K.O. »

Big Red Machine wrote:On this week's TV show, he claimed that 3.0 were "descended from Rick Martel." I'm like 99.99999999% sure that's not true.
I don't know the extent of their connection to Martel, but I do remember this quote from Jagged from a blog on Chikara's website earlier this spring:
I grabbed my phone, the screen read “The Model Calling” I picked up and on the other end of the line was my good friend, Rick Martel. He wanted to congratulate us on the big title win and tell me how proud he was. It was quite touching. I thanked him for the advice he bestowed on us, letting him know that we couldn’t have pulled it off without all of the tidbits of wisdom that he has shared with us.
So there is at least some level of truth to Kelly's claims of a relationship between Martel and Canada's most professional tag team.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

K.O. wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:On this week's TV show, he claimed that 3.0 were "descended from Rick Martel." I'm like 99.99999999% sure that's not true.
I don't know the extent of their connection to Martel, but I do remember this quote from Jagged from a blog on Chikara's website earlier this spring:
I grabbed my phone, the screen read “The Model Calling” I picked up and on the other end of the line was my good friend, Rick Martel. He wanted to congratulate us on the big title win and tell me how proud he was. It was quite touching. I thanked him for the advice he bestowed on us, letting him know that we couldn’t have pulled it off without all of the tidbits of wisdom that he has shared with us.
So there is at least some level of truth to Kelly's claims of a relationship between Martel and Canada's most professional tag team.
Some sort of relationship, yes. But calling them Martel's descendants means there is a direct familial connection.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Big Red Machine wrote:
K.O. wrote:
Some sort of relationship, yes. But calling them Martel's descendants means there is a direct familial connection.
I'd let that one slide, he was probably making some bad joke.
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

A commentator exaggerated a pro wrestler's backstory during a match? Seriously?