Steen vs. Richards @ 10th Anniversary?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
GardenStateSaint

Steen vs. Richards @ 10th Anniversary?

Post by GardenStateSaint »

I'd have no problem watching Steen vs. Richards but doesn't anybody else feel doing that match in NYC is kinda risky? I have no doubt it would be very pro-Steen, which is something I would think ROH brass wouldn't want.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Marketh.

Re: Steen vs. Richards @ 10th Anniversary?

Post by Marketh. »

The ROH brass have to be pro-Steen or at least building to a Steen turn.

How can they portray Cornette as the "white guy in a suit" and have Steen entering through the crowd and cutting promos outside the arena, surrounded by cheering fans and have him call out Davey on his MMA wankfest without realising this stuff's appealing to 90% of their fanbase?

To keep Steen doing this schtick and have him remain heel is insane denial. Do a double turn with Davey and have Team Richards be this elitist, pro-MMA, pretentious, kickpad-masturbating faction that falsely believe they represent the best ROH has to offer.
Last edited by Marketh. on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last Real Man Hype
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

If ROH has any sense, they'd save the match for an iPPV, instead of just a live event.
CiOfPersonality

Post by CiOfPersonality »

I agree with Harry. They'd be stupid to give it away on a live show to sell just DVDs. Save it for the Showdown in the Sun shows. It make so much more sense to have people paying $15 to see this match on iPPV.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Put me on the Showdown in the Sun group. That's a match you give the world a chance to pay to see, not just the NYC crowd.
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

10th Anniversary is too early, and no it shouldn't happen in NYC.
astoph

Post by astoph »

Imo either show is too early. Steen just re-signed with ROH and should at least go through "Proving Ground " first. There is plenty he can do for the next 5-6 months even with Corino and Generico out. Fued with Jacobs maybe. Fued with Cornette for sure. Hell, anything to build drama as that what he is best at. Besides when Davey/Steen does happen Steen should wipe the floor with him to make the past year or so worth while. btw, love the idea with the double-turn, could work out great.
Rudas_Iskariot

Post by Rudas_Iskariot »

any match between these two before august is too soon. they were patient and held steen out for a year. this match needs at least 9 months of builds. just keep having steen come out after davey's matches and start having steen run through team richards first.
davew00d

Post by davew00d »

GardenStateSaint wrote:I'd have no problem watching Steen vs. Richards but doesn't anybody else feel doing that match in NYC is kinda risky? I have no doubt it would be very pro-Steen, which is something I would think ROH brass wouldn't want.
First of all, I think it's far too early for ROH to blow their load on Steen-Richards. The Summer iPPV would be soon enough. You could even stretch it out until Final Battle.

Secondly, ROH knows that the fans will eventually turn on Richards. That's why they've positioned Steen the way they have.

Thirdly, I'm baffled as to why 10AS isn't an iPPV. ROH have done a terrible job of using the 10th year as a marketing tool.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

Steen vs. Richards will be the main event of 'Final Battle 2012'. Would give them a year to build it (by which time people would be bursting to see it) and would continue Steen's legacy at Final Battle.

Steen shouldn't have to go through the 'Proving Ground', he needs to force a title shot for himself. Give it a few months and just have Steen repeatedly putting Davey down. At 'Showdown in the Sun' they could have some sort of tag match or maybe even Steel Cage Warfare.

I just think 'Final Battle' would be a great time to give Steen the belt. The only question is, do ROH fans get sick of Davey before then? Do they get bored of Steen not being champ? Only time will tell.
steenisAgod

Post by steenisAgod »

astoph wrote: Generico out.
Please tell me this isn't true
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

ROHWorld_Steven wrote:Steen vs. Richards will be the main event of 'Final Battle 2012'. Would give them a year to build it (by which time people would be bursting to see it) and would continue Steen's legacy at Final Battle.

Steen shouldn't have to go through the 'Proving Ground', he needs to force a title shot for himself. Give it a few months and just have Steen repeatedly putting Davey down. At 'Showdown in the Sun' they could have some sort of tag match or maybe even Steel Cage Warfare.

I just think 'Final Battle' would be a great time to give Steen the belt. The only question is, do ROH fans get sick of Davey before then? Do they get bored of Steen not being champ? Only time will tell.
Yes.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

steenisAgod wrote:
Was wondering about this also
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:
steenisAgod wrote:
Was wondering about this also
It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point, they'll probably sell the injury for a while and eventually bring him back. How dull are the shows gonna be without Generico?
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

WrestlingMatters wrote:
Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:
It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point, they'll probably sell the injury for a while and eventually bring him back. How dull are the shows gonna be without Generico?
Like you said, I can see them writing him out for a couple of months which will lead to a triumphant return, maybe at Showdown in the Sun. But yeah, he'll be sorely missed.
astoph

Post by astoph »

From the December 28 Newswire

Generico and Steen went at it but Steen eventually gave Generico a low blow and the Package Piledriver off the apron through the ringside table. El Generico was treated by EMT’s and taken to the local hospital in agony. Medics have carried out scans and X-rays which have revealed that Generico has suffered a severe neck injury. We will have more information when we receive it.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

I would wait until a late summer or early fall ippv to have this match. Have steen feud with Jacobs and pretty much anything Cornette can throw at him. On the tv show have a proving ground with Steen v. Davey and steen lasts the 15 or 20 minutes or whatever. Steen beats Davey at this ippv and then at Final Battle 2012 you do Steen v. Generico for the Belt in a crazy stipulation match. Ladder War? Cage maybe?

EDIT: I also think the IPPV where Steen wins should be the Toronto return. Place would go crazy for Steen. With steen lasting the proving ground he could pick the location so this could work.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I'm going to be honest, I don't want to see this match in NYC because of the crazy crowd. They will likely cheer Steen like crazy and boo and jeer Richards even though Steen is the heel and Davey is the face. Just like with WGTT and the Briscoes. Weren't the former babyfaces going in? For no rhyme or reason did the NY crowd boo Haas and Benjamin. Actually that's just the way that crowd is. When Tyler Black was a heel they loved him, but hated him as a face. Just the NY crowd being wise asses.

Back to the topic at hand. Steen vs Richards should happen at one of the ppvs. I won't be there plus they will make money as that's the match most people want to see.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

rohfanAnthony wrote:I'm going to be honest, I don't want to see this match in NYC because of the crazy crowd. They will likely cheer Steen like crazy and boo and jeer Richards even though Steen is the heel and Davey is the face. Just like with WGTT and the Briscoes. Weren't the former babyfaces going in? For no rhyme or reason did the NY crowd boo Haas and Benjamin. Actually that's just the way that crowd is. When Tyler Black was a heel they loved him, but hated him as a face. Just the NY crowd being wise asses.

Back to the topic at hand. Steen vs Richards should happen at one of the ppvs. I won't be there plus they will make money as that's the match most people want to see.
They booed World's Worst Tag Team because of their crappy matches since they won the belts. There's no way any other crowd is gonna boo Steen either. They hated Tyler because of all the failed title shots he had and them not pulling the trigger on him, and almost all ROH crowds turned on him not just NY.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

ROHWorld_Dave wrote:
GardenStateSaint wrote:I'd have no problem watching Steen vs. Richards but doesn't anybody else feel doing that match in NYC is kinda risky? I have no doubt it would be very pro-Steen, which is something I would think ROH brass wouldn't want.
First of all, I think it's far too early for ROH to blow their load on Steen-Richards. The Summer iPPV would be soon enough. You could even stretch it out until Final Battle.

Secondly, ROH knows that the fans will eventually turn on Richards. That's why they've positioned Steen the way they have.

Thirdly, I'm baffled as to why 10AS isn't an iPPV. ROH have done a terrible job of using the 10th year as a marketing tool.
I agree with all of that. From a booking standpoint Richards vs. Steen shouldn't be as early as March but I can imagine alot of NYC fans assuming thats the next main event for the Hammerstein. Maybe Richards and a NOAH guy main events. Who knows really.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.