Kobashi retires.

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
RoaringElbow

Kobashi retires.

Post by RoaringElbow »

At tonight's NOAH event the legend Kenta Kobashi announced his retirement due to injuries. It doesn't sound like it was forced and wrestling will hate to see him go but it's for the best. He deserves to step away the way he chooses w/ whatever faculties remain. Kobashi is one of the greatest if all time. Numerous titles and 5-Star matches, including one here in ROH w/ Samoa Joe. Personally I think that's one of the greatest matches I've ever seen, and it may not even be Kobashi's greatest match. We're lucky to have had him be a part of this company's history.
What's your favorite Kobashi match or moment?
DieHard

Re: Kobashi retires.

Post by DieHard »

I start watching a 5 hour set of his title reign at NOAH in 2003 (all of his defences) in July and right now I'm only in the half of the DVD lol but the first match against Misawa is the best match in the wrestling history in my opinion. If I could giving it ten start I would. Every wrestling fan needs to watch this match.
MOOSE!
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

RoaringElbow wrote:At tonight's NOAH event the legend Kenta Kobashi announced his retirement due to injuries. It doesn't sound like it was forced and wrestling will hate to see him go but it's for the best. He deserves to step away the way he chooses w/ whatever faculties remain. Kobashi is one of the greatest if all time. Numerous titles and 5-Star matches, including one here in ROH w/ Samoa Joe. Personally I think that's one of the greatest matches I've ever seen, and it may not even be Kobashi's greatest match. We're lucky to have had him be a part of this company's history.
What's your favorite Kobashi match or moment?
His match with Samoa Joe is one of my favourite matches in ROH history, it's atmosphere and intensity will never be replicated. To be honest I'm surprised it took this long for him to retire.
thatwrestlingshow

Post by thatwrestlingshow »

I was surprised to learn he's only 45. He has a legendary career to look back on, he retires without regrets. His match with Joe, though perhaps not technically a great one, had amazing atmosphere that I have never seen replicated.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

DieHard wrote:I start watching a 5 hour set of his title reign at NOAH in 2003 (all of his defences) in July and right now I'm only in the half of the DVD lol but the first match against Misawa is the best match in the wrestling history in my opinion. If I could giving it ten start I would. Every wrestling fan needs to watch this match.
Is this one of the three Misawa/Kobashi matches that Meltzer gave *****? I have the three of them waiting to be watched.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

donkitrk99 wrote:
DieHard wrote:I start watching a 5 hour set of his title reign at NOAH in 2003 (all of his defences) in July and right now I'm only in the half of the DVD lol but the first match against Misawa is the best match in the wrestling history in my opinion. If I could giving it ten start I would. Every wrestling fan needs to watch this match.
Is this one of the three Misawa/Kobashi matches that Meltzer gave *****? I have the three of them waiting to be watched.
Yes. Date is 01.03.2003. If you want to watch the DVD I was talking about you can find it at Youtube under the title "Kenta Kobashi GHC Heavyweight History", this was maybe the best reign ever match-quality.
MOOSE!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I honestly thought Kobashi died a few years back. Who am I confusing him with?
wordsasbombs

Post by wordsasbombs »

Most likely Misawa.
~Soyez réalistes. Demandez l'impossible.~
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buy my books...I'm hungry. Please.
http://www.jonathanculver.webs.com
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Hawkeye wrote:I honestly thought Kobashi died a few years back. Who am I confusing him with?
Misawa?
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Yup, Misawa. thanks gents
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

About time he retired, time for him to enjoy the fruits of his labor.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

This seemed to mostly stem from him getting fired by Noah

For those that didn't know, Noah recently released Kobashi because he was making too much money during a time where the company is having horrible business.

Because of this a lot of other Noah wrestlers are leaving like Go Shiozaki, Suzuki, Kanemaru, and Aoki etc.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

I think my favorite was a tag match he and Misawa had against Akira Taue and Kawada on 10/15/95. One of the rare 5 stars in my book. Not a bad moment in the whole thing. It's on youtube so everyone can enjoy
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

He's a legend but I am pleased about this, saw some matches from his comeback last year and he could barely walk out there. His match with Joe is still one of my favourite matches, his trilogy with Misawa was incredible as well.
Misawa's Neck

Post by Misawa's Neck »

It's very good news. He'll get a retirement match and end things with some dignity in toe. He has been useless in every match after his 2007 comeback bout. He's not retiring by choice. He's retiring to save face because NOAH wanted to fire him, as paying him the highest salary of everyone for undergoing surgeries makes no sense for a dying company. He's not worth the name value anymore. It's good for NOAH too because now they don't look like the bad guys for reasonably wanting him gone. Plus, Akiyama's going freelance/to All Japan. Everyone wins.