RATE IT: Richards vs. Elgin (SITS: Day 2) CLOSED

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
KL_

Re: RATE IT: Richards vs. Elgin (SITS: Day 2)

Post by KL_ »

Fantastic match. I remember when I watched it - that was Wrestling !
MuayThai
Banned
Banned

Post by MuayThai »

Four stars its very good but no where near as good as five stars
Guyver3

Post by Guyver3 »

DDMurdock

Post by DDMurdock »

****1/2
Rooskie

Post by Rooskie »

ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

****3/4
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I'm sorry, I just don't see the massive MOTY love for the match. It had a main event feel, which had been missing from the product for a while, and it increased Elgin's stock nicely, but the match itself was just your typical Davey Richards jerkfest with no psychology and nothing but head drops.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Jeremy wrote:**

I'm sorry, I just don't see the massive MOTY love for the match. It had a main event feel, which had been missing from the product for a while, and it increased Elgin's stock nicely, but the match itself was just your typical Davey Richards jerkfest with no psychology and nothing but head drops.
come on, 2 stars, you got to be kidding?!! I mean everyone should voice their opinion, but trolling like this post totally dilutes the idea of listing the best matches in ROH history. There is just no way in hell you could justify that rating! If you're not a fan of both guys and you rate it with a very low 4 stars (considering the match) then ok that's your opinion, but two stars is just blatant trolling, I'm sorry, but you cannot rate a match that has been highly praised by pretty much everybody in the business and pretend like it's a ten minute midcard match you would normally rate with two stars.

Note to adduval84: maybe we should figure out a system to prevent troll posts like this one. I would appreciate if you did not take these troll ratings into account, unless that person can reasonably justify giving such a low rating. Saying the match was a Richards jerkfest is just ridiculous
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:

come on, 2 stars, you got to be kidding?!! I mean everyone should voice their opinion, but trolling like this post totally dilutes the idea of listing the best matches in ROH history. There is just no way in hell you could justify that rating! If you're not a fan of both guys and you rate it with a very low 4 stars (considering the match) then ok that's your opinion, but two stars is just blatant trolling, I'm sorry, but you cannot rate a match that has been highly praised by pretty much everybody in the business and pretend like it's a ten minute midcard match you would normally rate with two stars.

Note to adduval84: maybe we should figure out a system to prevent troll posts like this one. I would appreciate if you did not take these troll ratings into account, unless that person can reasonably justify giving such a low rating. Saying the match was a Richards jerkfest is just ridiculous
He should be able to rate any match whatever he wants.

He explained why he didn't like it which is more than those who slapped on ***** and said nothing. If Jeremy needs to 'explain' why he gave the match a substantially low rating, I think anyone who gave the match straight ***** should have to explain why they gave it a perfect score.

To me, giving this match a perfect ***** is as ludicrous as giving it **. I think it sits in the middle (***3/4), but I'm not upset with anyones rating, because their rating is their own. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you, and your 'favorite' match doesn't rank at the top of the list, doesn't mean you need to cry about it.
Rooskie

Post by Rooskie »

Everybody's got a right to their opinion. I gave it *****, and didn't post an explanation, but here is one. This match gave me goosebumps. The atmosphere, the last ten minutes of frantic, seemingly never-ending near falls, the shrieking Nigel on commentary, the fact I still think Elgin can win despite knowing the result before my first viewing, this match was amazing. Now that I'm in my 30s, I seldomly bother to watch a match more than once, no matter how great it is. I have watched it over ten times and still love it. It's in my top 10 ROH matches of all-time.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

****3/4

Amazing match, but the finish was only decent, rather than amazing, and the first two or three minutes were a bit slow. I'ts being very nitt picking, but that's why it's not the full ****
watadam20

Post by watadam20 »

Colt45 wrote:
JigsawVs.Jason wrote:

He should be able to rate any match whatever he wants.

He explained why he didn't like it which is more than those who slapped on ***** and said nothing. If Jeremy needs to 'explain' why he gave the match a substantially low rating, I think anyone who gave the match straight ***** should have to explain why they gave it a perfect score.

To me, giving this match a perfect ***** is as ludicrous as giving it **. I think it sits in the middle (***3/4), but I'm not upset with anyones rating, because their rating is their own. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you, and your 'favorite' match doesn't rank at the top of the list, doesn't mean you need to cry about it.
Yeah but his explanation to me makes it sound like a ***1/2 star match at worst. He thinks the psychology was off but it had a big time feel and increased Elgin's stock. That doesn't sound like a ** match to me.
KaceCC

Post by KaceCC »

****3/4

So grateful I was there live to see this.
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Seriously I hate this whole discussion on "psychology". Is it a typical Davey match? Yes because it's Davey God Damn Richards. If you're a sports team are you going to play a new strategy every night or are you going to go with what works for you?

Cena has the same match 9 times out of 10 and he's a MILLIONAIRE! Yes wrestling is an art form but most importantly it`s a business and Elgin vs. Davey blew the match through the roof and into the orbit of space and people will FOREVER remember that match. That`s what makes it 5 stars. So what if "Oh 17 minutes into the match it dragged on for about a minute and a half" it doesn't matter how everything goes, it matters what the match makes you feel.

Name me any movie in the world and I can come up with a time in the movie that I wish could be better, doesn't take away from it because it isn't about everything that happened it's about everything you'll always remember.

Psychology is up to interpretation but people are confusing it for logic and if that were the case the match would end after one head kick. ROH isn't a company that does 300 shows a year they can get away with putting on too much.
adduvall84

Post by adduvall84 »

Riddick wrote:Seriously I hate this whole discussion on "psychology". Is it a typical Davey match? Yes because it's Davey God Damn Richards. If you're a sports team are you going to play a new strategy every night or are you going to go with what works for you?

Cena has the same match 9 times out of 10 and he's a MILLIONAIRE! Yes wrestling is an art form but most importantly it`s a business and Elgin vs. Davey blew the match through the roof and into the orbit of space and people will FOREVER remember that match. That`s what makes it 5 stars. So what if "Oh 17 minutes into the match it dragged on for about a minute and a half" it doesn't matter how everything goes, it matters what the match makes you feel.

Name me any movie in the world and I can come up with a time in the movie that I wish could be better, doesn't take away from it because it isn't about everything that happened it's about everything you'll always remember.

Psychology is up to interpretation but people are confusing it for logic and if that were the case the match would end after one head kick. ROH isn't a company that does 300 shows a year they can get away with putting on too much.
I hate to be a stickler, but I have to ask...is that an official ***** vote?
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/adduvall1984
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Sure. *****
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

If you're basing your vote on how people are going to remember the match, that's not right either. You don't know how this match will be remembered. Just because it's fresh in your memory now since it only happened a few months ago doesn't mean it's still going to be in a few years. You might go to watch it again, thinking it's up there with Dragon/KENTA and Joe/Kobashi, then go "It was pretty great...but..."

That being said, I always base my ratings on how I feel the first time I watch a match, but I'm not going to justify them with claims like "...people will FOREVER remember that match. That`s what makes it 5 stars."
Last Real Man Hype
The_Boss

Post by The_Boss »

****1/4
Thumbtack Matt

Post by Thumbtack Matt »

*****. As a previous poster sad, even though I know the results, this match still tugs me in and makes me think Elgin's gonna win it this time. I love everything about this match, and wish Davey could've had a few more like it.