WWE looking to acquire El Generico?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

WWE looking to acquire El Generico?

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Been hearing a lot of rumors on the internet recently that WWE is interested in bringing in El Generico

Now regardless if this rumor is true or not, what are your thoughts? Is it a good move for WWE and vice versa for El Generico? How (would he) fit into the WWE?
abekoby

Re: WWE looking to acquire El Generico?

Post by abekoby »

A guy trying to portray a fake Rey Misterio and failing miserably?
thatwrestlingshow

Post by thatwrestlingshow »

Generico will have a whole lot of glass ceiling to break through but he's an incredibly entertaining character tailor made for WWE's PG programming, kids will love him. He can survive in a comedy role but I can't imagine him ever being greater than that in WWE or given the opportunity to truly shine in his matches. I really hope he gets the shot.

Now I'm abit suprised WWE would consider Generico alone, if they consider Generico they obviously aren't looking for a prototypical superstar and Steen could go great places in WWE.
MidnightHouseRocker

Post by MidnightHouseRocker »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read that Kevin Steen wouldn't be interested in working for the WWE because of their hellish schedule.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Generico could work in WWE, I'm sure the kids would love him and he'd sell loads of merch. But I doubt he'd ever move above the midcard. He'd kinda be like Kofi Kingston & Santino.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Hard to imagine Generico in WWE. He isn't a typical louchdor and it'll not be believeable seeing him do moves like Michinoku Driver or Blue Thunder plus he seems like not speaking english..
MOOSE!
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

abekoby wrote:A guy trying to portray a fake Rey Misterio and failing miserably?
[insert Sin Cara joke here]
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I really hope they're not. They would probably put him in some stupid comedy matches with Marella and give him like 3 to 4 minutes time to wrestle. I just can't see them using him correctly, sry.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
JakeStPierre

Post by JakeStPierre »

I love Generico as much as the next guy, but I still find it hard to believe that WWE would look twice at him. They might for that Cruiser show on the Network, but I highly doubt they would find much on the main roster for him to do. Just like anyone else, I would love to see him work with guys like CM Punk and Bryan again on the main roster, but it just doesn't seem realistic.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

El Generico going to WWE I think partially depends on if Generico is happy where he is right now. I mean he is one of the top draws on the independents in general right now (Not just ROH). If he feels like WWE is a good place for him to go next then he'll go. The thing is if WWE does sign him, I think he'll work well because he knows the "American" style of wrestling better than someone like Sin Cara (no knock against Cara intended), and depending what they do with him, Generico (if he's brought up to the main roster & becomes popular) can overtake Sin Cara as the next Rey Mysterio. He could serve in a comedy role but he could be a great Upper-Mid card guy as well, given time.

If this rumor does end up being true, and Generico goes to WWE sometime in the near future, then it'd be the perfect time to give Generico a ROH World Title run.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I find it hard to believe Generico will ever be given a real push in the WWE, he just doesn't fit the mold (much less than Dragon or Punk, I mean even Cornette didn't want to push him, can't imagine Vince would). People believing he could be the replacement for Mysterio, would be very disappointed if this rumour is true and Generico decides to go to the WWE. I'd imagine he'd end up like Cabana in 2007...
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:I find it hard to believe Generico will ever be given a real push in the WWE, he just doesn't fit the mold (much less than Dragon or Punk, I mean even Cornette didn't want to push him, can't imagine Vince would). People believing he could be the replacement for Mysterio, would be very disappointed if this rumour is true and Generico decides to go to the WWE. I'd imagine he'd end up like Cabana in 2007...
Again, if it's true that WWE is pursuing Generico, then the ball's in his court. Depends on (as I mentioned previously) if he's happy where he is.

Though I can't image if he did go it'd be hard to get him over & popular with the WWE audience. They could just push the "OLE!" chant and he can get over pretty quick.
sideeffect

Post by sideeffect »

I think Generico could fit well in WWE. As for Steen, he could go places but i think Steen has way too many injury problems to be in WWE.

Steen almost retired couple years ago due to his knee injury. I don't think he would be able to pass their physical similarly to how Nigel McGuinness couldn't pass one.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

In my mind Generico wins at FB and goes on to have a 6 months or so reign. If Generico does get signed I get the feeling he'll be used terribly anyway so hopefully this is just a rumour and nothing more.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I hope this is nothing more than a rumor. Generico deserves to be used properly, and in WWE, that isn't happening.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

One of these "WWE is interested in X indy guy" stories pops up every week and usually are just made up or rumors. Except in cases like Gargano/Sami who actually got tryout matches
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

This mindset of "ROH guys aren't used properly in WWE" when we hear these rumors need to go. Everyone said Danielson, Black, Claudio, etc. wouldn't be used right and they've all become successful (Tyler will be a star in WWE when he gets off NXT). Why can't Generico be successful? Because his name isn't Rey Mysterio? Indie wrestlers are getting a shot now more than ever so if Generico does sign with WWE, he may be the next masked hero for the fans since Rey doesn't have many years left and Cara has yet to connect with the audience.
WrestlingMatters

BTW10 wrote:This mindset of "ROH guys aren't used properly in WWE" when we hear these rumors need to go. Everyone said Danielson, Black, Claudio, etc. wouldn't be used right and they've all become successful (Tyler will be a star in WWE when he gets off NXT). Why can't Generico be successful? Because his name isn't Rey Mysterio? Indie wrestlers are getting a shot now more than ever so if Generico does sign with WWE, he may be the next masked hero for the fans since Rey doesn't have many years left and Cara has yet to connect with the audience.
Tyler and Claudio have been successful if you're talking from a financial standpoint but in no way have they been used well. Tyler hasn't even appeared on a show that actually matters and Claudio is the US Champion but they've stuck him with the generic foreigner gimmick. He's done nothing interesting character wise or in ring wise either and has yet to really get much of a reaction at all.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

WrestlingMatters wrote:Tyler and Claudio have been successful if you're talking from a financial standpoint but in no way have they been used well. Tyler hasn't even appeared on a show that actually matters and Claudio is the US Champion but they've stuck him with the generic foreigner gimmick. He's done nothing interesting character wise or in ring wise either and has yet to really get much of a reaction at all.
He still is a champion, gimmicks aside. All of the gimmicks used today are recycled in some way, shape or form so to say that he's "stuck with a generic foreigner gimmick" is irrelevant. In your estimation I'm assuming, the only way to be a success is to be WWE Champion? The guy has been on TV for 6-7 months and already has a midcard title. How many of these guys that are brought to the main roster do nothing for years? Quite a few. Claudio has been a big time success and judging by his physique, I'm sure he'll continue that success for years to come.
WrestlingMatters

BTW10 wrote:He still is a champion, gimmicks aside. All of the gimmicks used today are recycled in some way, shape or form so to say that he's "stuck with a generic foreigner gimmick" is irrelevant. In your estimation I'm assuming, the only way to be a success is to be WWE Champion? The guy has been on TV for 6-7 months and already has a midcard title. How many of these guys that are brought to the main roster do nothing for years? A lot. Claudio has been a big time success and judging by his physique, I'm sure he'll continue that success for years to come.
You're forgetting that titles mean absolutely nothing there. Being used well in my estimation is doing something interesting and worthwhile which is clearly something he is yet to do. He basically has done nothing so far, what good matches or storylines or promos has he had? Just being there isn't being a success.