The Item in the Box Was BAD! - Differing View

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thomas Bobo

The Item in the Box Was BAD! - Differing View

Post by Thomas Bobo »

Kudos to ROH for the great show last night! In two consecutive weekend's they have stepped up with live events and delivered. More so, they did it with a spotlight on them in a big way with their previous iPPV mis-steps.

For as much as I loved the main event and the drama captured me, the post-match present that Kevin Steen opened was bad and shows that ROH/Hunter Johnston (albeit likely short term) is still a roster with limited depth and very few opportunities at the main event level.

It certainly is a tough spot to be in; Johnston is inheriting a roster he's very familiar and comfortable with but also one that he has not had total control of in some time and thus has to rehabilitate going forward. I look at it like an analogy to a car. That car looks awesome on the lot and drives great during the test drive, but once purchased and taken home, there are things that become evident that were not on the surface. That's a lot like ROH at the moment.

Certainly, fans felt much of that attitude and opinion. Perhaps it was what the impetus was in ushering the creative change. But just as many fans didn't have the patience for Cornette's style of booking, it seems a little hypocritical that they are willing to accept a re-hash feud and angle for the 2nd time in ROH.

Please let me be clear: I LOVE El Generico. Dude is my favorite non-WWE wrestler far and away. He adds such tremendous value to any event he is a part of. He has given a much needed boost to Dragon Gate USA and EVOLVE during 2012, a time as well, where ROH seemingly could not have been bothered to maximize his talents and skills, during the same period with a thin roster I mentioned before.

He possible return now (yes, I said possible - ROH could be working us all for what we think we know) sets up a match that probably draws money and I am sure gets fans giddy to see Steen-Generico, Chapter 63...I just don't think it is the best idea and that, at least today, seems like ROH is content with taking the easy way out and isn't focusing on what they should be for a stronger & sustainable future...and that, my fellow fans is just BAD.

Don't hate on me for pointing it out to you...
fm20000

Re: The Item in the Box Was BAD! - Differing View

Post by fm20000 »

How exactly is it the easy way out? Davey is already not allowed to face Steen anymore, Steen just put in place the stipulation that Jay Lethal is never allowed to face him again, and Elgin isn't ready because he still hasn't had his feud with Roddy yet.

Kayfabe wise Steen has "had the belt hostage" for like 6 months now and the company has been trying everything to get rid of Steen. So why wouldn't you bring back his lifetime rival and the guy who previously kicked him out of ROH to be the one to take the belt off him? He's believably the only one who can take the belt off of him anymore.

And I guess you could blame that on the "thin roster" but I'd say that is the easy way out. Going back to Steen and Generico isn't the same as WWE relying on Rock, Undertaker and HHH to sell their Wrestlemania's in 2012. They still are the young talent getting their push.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

I disagree. I don't think ROH can just go and focus on building all the younger guys this close to the biggest show of the year. They need to transition into Delirious being head guy again and focus on delivering the best PPV of the year and use that momentum in 2013 in to building the next top guys in the company.
MuayThai
Banned
Banned

Post by MuayThai »

Agreed Steen and Generico has been done way to many times. they already had a year long feud and rematches since Steen's return and this being ROH we know Generico won't win the belt on his first shot. Don't get me started on how many times we have seen in other companies like PWG.

One of the few things ROH had going for it when Steen won was new fresh matches ups now the revert to the stalest option Steen vs Generico
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think El Generico vs Kevin Steen again is never a bad thing, is the modern Danielson-Nigel or the american Tanahashi-Nakamura, they are nemesis, always deliver and is inescapable to have them wrestle in a big show because is a match that fans will love to buy, with that said i wouldn´t mind to have Lethal-Steen (We still can have it) they are doing a great job with Lethal showing his killer instict, last night you could see the difference in his caracter, him and Steen can have a great match at Final Battle too.

Steen-Lethal or Steen-Generico the winner are the fans, also, the box will be of the best moments in ROH history with the crowd doing this work perfect there.
MuayThai
Banned
Banned

Post by MuayThai »

see that's just it by the end I was sick of Danielson vs Nigel enough is enough espically when neither guy really changes there gimmick enough freshen things up
Lexicon

Post by Lexicon »

I was viewing the show from the standpoint that I didn't (and still don't) believe much has changed creatively. I believe Delirious was heavily involved in creative, especially for the live shows, and Cornette was in charge of TV. I bring that up because I want to make it clear that what I felt that night was in no way related to "a change in creative", as I've really enjoyed the greater part of the past year from ROH.

Have Steen and Generico fought more times than I can count? Yep. But I think people can get hung up on statistics sometimes. How many times did Sting wrestle Flair? Undertaker and Kane? Punk and Cabana? I have no idea on an exact count, but they've all wrestled each other a lot. To me, if the story and history is there, and you can shine some new light on the feud, there's no limit to how many times two wrestlers should be able to meet up. These two are, and will forever be, linked. Now that Steen has the ROH World Title, it would be a HUGE missed opportunity to not bring back Generico.

Also, what you're saying is a little tough to get with because of the fact that we don't know where this is going yet. This might be a one off match, or Generico might win the title and have a short run. In any other promotion, I think I might be more with you, since the belts don't have the same meaning as the ROH World Title does to me. If this is another year long thing, then I'll be right there with you. But if this is just a short term thing to carry Steen over to the new year, I'm all for it. I'd even be rooting for Generico to have a title run, because I think he deserves at least one.
Host of The Ringside Report. Lex and Lee discuss Ring of Honor LIVE every Friday night @ 9pm EST on TWRNetwork.com
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

I think this is really the only way Steens title reign can end.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

RoaringElbow wrote:I think this is really the only way Steens title reign can end.
Yep.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

For people who don't like this storyline and claim that ROH needs to be more about wrestling, when has Steen vs. Generico been anything less than very good-great?

By the way, I don't know why PWG is being mentioned in any of these arguements. Yeah they have had matches there, but they're a completely different company and ROH was the one who established their feud anyway.

It's not like Generico is being thrown back into the mix for no reason. Steen was the reason why Generico hasn't been seen since March. This is a feud that should NEVER end.
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

I respectfully disagree. There's been plenty of matches between Steen and Generico, but over the years they've evolved as wrestlers and so have their matches together. With the long history that they have together I can't think of a solid reason why another feud would be a bad idea. If it's any indication of hype and excitement level you only have to look at the amount of people talking about the PPV and focusing a lot of their commentary on the ending.

I never grew tired of the Danielson/McGuinness series; I don't see myself growing weary of another feud between two of the best wrestlers on the independents today. And in wrestling you should never say never. The likelihood of El Generico winning the strap isn't as impossible as you think.
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

Steen and Generico are like Joker and Batman, it should never end.

And who says Generico ends Steen's reign at Final Battle? If ROH can set out a plan for next year, you can continue Steen's reign with fresh challengers and continue Generico's hunt for Steen's title.
spashley1977

Post by spashley1977 »

i just don't understand anyone hating on the idea of El Generico vs Kevin Steen. i looked back at their feud and in 2010, they wrestled 3 times !!!! i know they wrestled a few tags, but only 3 singles matches. DBDXIII, HATE, Chapter 2 and Final Battle 2010, that is no where close to excessive. Steen wrestled one match in ROH in 2011 against Corino. and in 2012, they wrestled 1 match on wrestlemania weekend. so honestly 4 singles matches in almost 3 years, isn't that much. and all of those matches btw were great matches. and the best part of steen and generico its not always the same match. DBDXIII was completely different to final battle. generico is the logical choice to end the reign of steen. for all that generico has done for ROH over the years, he is a deserving guy to be world champion.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

BalzOfHonor wrote:Steen and Generico are like Joker and Batman, it should never end.

And who says Generico ends Steen's reign at Final Battle? If ROH can set out a plan for next year, you can continue Steen's reign with fresh challengers and continue Generico's hunt for Steen's title.
In other words, it'll be a long dragged out rehash of what went on over the entire course of '10. That's the last thing it should be. 6 months after their first meeting it should be over with one way or the other. It hasn't even been 2 years since the feud ended decisively. Maybe people's memories are shorter than mine, but this feels neither fresh nor new to me.

And I think the length of their first feud is part of the problem. Had it been a more standard 6 month storyline like in most feuds, it's different. But it was an entire year, and toward the end you just want it to end and folks move on to other things, which they did. But now we're back at the beginning again. The World Title being in the mix adds something this time around and is the only reason to resurrect the feud after laying it to rest not that long ago. The lifetime on the horse is shorter this time around before it gets beaten dead, and I'd have it end before that.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Steen vs Generico should be the go-to match whenever it's necessary. Not just making them feud whenever things get dull, but doing something different each time. First there was Generico wanting revenge against his former best friend. Now it's one match (I hope) with Generico saving ROH and winning the title. If it happens again in 2014/15, there should be something else at stake.
Last Real Man Hype
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

I thought their match years ago at FB should have been for the title. I know it's not really ROH's way but could you imagine those two in a Fight w/o Honor or even a Ladder War w/ the title on the line?

P.s. PWG doesn't ever count. They don't have any actual feuds.
MuayThai
Banned
Banned

Post by MuayThai »

The reason PWG and other indies are being mentioned is that as an Indy wrestling fans we have seen pretty much every match Steen and Generico can have and we are tired of seeing it time for something fresh
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

MuayThai wrote:The reason PWG and other indies are being mentioned is that as an Indy wrestling fans we have seen pretty much every match Steen and Generico can have and we are tired of seeing it time for something fresh
Don't categorize Indy fans by saying "we are tired of seeing it" because it looks like you and a few others are the only ones who feel that way. I'm an Indy fan and I will NEVER get sick of seeing these two have matches.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Mr Bobo makes a lot of good points. Generico vs. Steen isn't the answer to ROHs problems. But it sure is something great to watch in the meantime. One wrestler, no matter how great, isn't going to fix the problems. But it can create a new culture and philosophy to ROH and other wrestlers will see that. Matt Hardy is still slated to wrestle for ROH at some point, now with possibility of Generico returning, who knows who else ROH has lined up to make appearances or join full time?
Last edited by Ladrao12 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Small Package

Post by Mr. Small Package »

RoaringElbow wrote:I thought their match years ago at FB should have been for the title. I know it's not really ROH's way but could you imagine those two in a Fight w/o Honor or even a Ladder War w/ the title on the line?

P.s. PWG doesn't ever count. They don't have any actual feuds.
False.