Major Change In ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Re: Major Change In ROH

Post by Marketh. »

So not only was he not fired and will most likely still be booking regardless, these boring losers think they influenced it. Faith in ROH fanbase still in the abyss.
Last Real Man Hype
rivvabandit

Post by rivvabandit »

I'm glad to see that Delirious is now the head booker. I don't think that will solve all of ROH's problems. It's frustrating to see a billion dollar corporation like Sinclair Broadcasting rum ROH like a Mickey Mouse operation. I still need to see better production on TV and especially iPPV.
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

fm20000 wrote:Well this is ROH's chance to redeem themselves. Whether it was his fault or not, most of the blame for the current product was headed towards Cornette's direction. Now hopefully they'll use this as a chance to change the direction of the product and get their core fanbase back.

I doubt it though.
For me, Cornette wasn't the problem, the problem is, ROH being owned by Sinclair. Does this change, change my mind on ordering this coming IPPV? NO, not at all
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

rivvabandit wrote:I'm glad to see that Delirious is now the head booker. I don't think that will solve all of ROH's problems. It's frustrating to see a billion dollar corporation like Sinclair Broadcasting rum ROH like a Mickey Mouse operation. I still need to see better production on TV and especially iPPV.
Agreed,

And too add, Sinclair Broadcasting is killing ROH from where it once stood in my life
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
Captain44

Post by Captain44 »

With Cornette being written out of all storylines, will be see a change right away or will it be slow. Personally, I think Delirious will start doing his own thing right away, but I could be wrong.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

I believe we'll see change only after Final Battle.
MOOSE!
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

I actually liked Cornette as the on screen authority figure, but maybe they thought it would be best to have an immediately visible change. I can't help but think Commissioner Delirious would be pretty hysterical for a brief run, but in all seriousness I wonder who replaces him on the air.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

BigTChamp wrote:I actually liked Cornette as the on screen authority figure, but maybe they thought it would be best to have an immediately visible change. I can't help but think Commissioner Delirious would be pretty hysterical for a brief run, but in all seriousness I wonder who replaces him on the air.
*comes out*

"fnDJGGJRGEGGEH BAH BAH TAG TEAM MATCH PLAYA"
MuayThai
Banned
Banned

Post by MuayThai »

I don't think ROH needs an on screen GM role its way to over done in wrestling either its a heel making life hard for the faces or a face making it tough for the heels.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

MuayThai wrote:I don't think ROH needs an on screen GM role its way to over done in wrestling either its a heel making life hard for the faces or a face making it tough for the heels.
I don't want to see someone taking up a lot of TV time or become heavily involved in the top storylines, but there does need to be someone with credibility and a bit of charisma who can make big announcements, match decisions, etc. when needed. Except for his obsession with Kevin Steen, that was the way Cornette's on screen persona was portrayed for the most part.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

A step in the right direction 8-)
abekoby

Post by abekoby »

I actually liked Cornette as the on screen authority figure, but maybe they thought it would be best to have an immediately visible change. I can't help but think Commissioner Delirious would be pretty hysterical for a brief run, but in all seriousness I wonder who replaces him on the air.
I would be all for this.

But I'm kind of wondering if this really means Delirious gets more control or just that Sinclair does. Maybe they see Delirious as more of an easy pushover since he probably doesn't have the credibility Cornette did, at least in Joe Koff's mind.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I think it's a step in the right direction, although it may not be a major change. Like others said, Delirious has been co booker for a while. To me, it's not that the booking has been THAT bad either. I would it say it was more so affected by not having the talent. If we get more Generico, Bucks, and TJP and less Mike Mondo and a few others.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

So, no payoff at all to the Steen vs. Cornette storyline?
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

DanielBryanson wrote:So, no payoff at all to the Steen vs. Cornette storyline?
My first thought when I saw this news, over a whole years worth of angles written off with an online article. Can't Cornette make one final appearance and be effectively 'killed off' in an angle with Steen/SCUM. I don't get why Lethal is the man to attack him either, its out of character plus he should be chasing Steen, I know Cornette isn't liked as a TV character but its a very heel move by Lethal, almost cowardly.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

classic-cabana wrote:
DanielBryanson wrote:So, no payoff at all to the Steen vs. Cornette storyline?
My first thought when I saw this news, over a whole years worth of angles written off with an online article. Can't Cornette make one final appearance and be effectively 'killed off' in an angle with Steen/SCUM. I don't get why Lethal is the man to attack him either, its out of character plus he should be chasing Steen, I know Cornette isn't liked as a TV character but its a very heel move by Lethal, almost cowardly.
I agree with all this - not sure why Lethal was the one that attacked Cornette, not Steen/SCUM...and I'd like to see some pay-off or resolution to the Steen/Cornette stuff down the line. But, I guess I'll wait and see - maybe Delirious and Jim have something in the pipeline to provide that
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Well, I do think the booking from August 2010 - June 2011 was stronger than it has been in the Sinclair era, so if this is a return to that creative arrangement then it's good news. Whoever is responsible for the nonsensical booking of Steen over the past year certainly has to go. I don't expect immediate dramatic changes, though.

I think it's unfortunate to lose Cornette completely as an on-air character, since he is an excellent promo guy in a company where very few people on the roster can even be called decent promos. I did think he was miscast as the babyface authority figure, and the (presumably self-) booking of his character was bad.

I think the best use for Cornette would be on color commentary. I know Nigel is beloved and while he isn't bad on color, I don't think he's very valuable or makes a big difference in that spot. Cornette could do a better job explaining stories and getting people over if he were in that position.

My biggest creative concern going forward is the apparent decision to build around Jay Lethal. I feel like he's been given every chance over the past year-plus and just hasn't connected with the audience at all. It's seems as if both Lethal and ROH were determined to prove TNA was crazy for releasing a guy as talented as Lethal, and instead I kind of feel at this point like I understand exactly why TNA released him.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

Nigel is pretty awesome on commentary. If you really wanna put Cornette on commentary, rather replace Kevin Kelly with him.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Kevin Kelly does a fine job. There's just too much of him and he needs to be reminded that fans don't want to hear him whining when weapons are being used, but apart from that he does his job well.
Last Real Man Hype
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:This could be good. :D

What's the over/under on how many days it takes Delirious to become hated like Cornette?
I'll take 'how fast it takes someone to type after the first match in the new Delirious era' is announced.