Cary Silkin talks the future, locker-room

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
KL_

Cary Silkin talks the future, locker-room

Post by KL_ »

Former ROH Owner Cary Silkin recently spoke to Monday Night Mayhem about selling the company and more. Here are the highlights…

The transition from being the owner of Ring of Honor to the company's official ambassador and why, in hindsight, it was better for him to sell ROH to Sinclair Broadcasting:
"There is an old expression, you can't save your face and your ass at the same time. It was better for me to sell it (ROH) than not to sell it. With Sinclair, it was a long process just to get that point, and there has been growing pains as we know with the Sinclair company. Everything has to be worked out. For me personally, I'm happy to still be involved. I love Ring of Honor. I love pro wrestling. I like knowing that I worked for something, and I established and helped with something. I know when they write the book about pro wrestling, I know Ring of Honor will have a nice chapter in there."

An update on the various technical issues that Ring of Honor has experienced during several of their recent iPPV's, what is being done to correct them, and a personal message to the ROH fans:
"I'm not going to make excuses for the problems that have happened. Nobody wants to have that, certainly not Ring of Honor, and certainly not the fans. It's been a combination of a couple of bad breaks and a couple of mistakes. Everybody has been given restitution, but we don't want it be that way. We want people to see the show. This upcoming one (Glory By Honor XI) is in a few weeks. We're going into it to get everything right. We had some bad luck, and we had two that ran perfectly. This is the last thing we want, and we are going to keep doing it until we get it right. That's the way it should be. I apologize to anyone who was inconvenienced."

Why he believes the mantra of the Ring of Honor locker room has never changed, plus which two matches he thinks will specifically stand out at ROH's forthcoming iPPV, "Glory By Honor XI":
"We want to give the people the best wrestling show they have ever seen on any given night, and that's the attitude. Nobody that has ever worked for Ring of Honor ever just tries to get through the day and go home. With the card in Toronto, there's so many good matches, and as a whole, with the energy on this card, it looks like it's going to be really special. Look at Davey Richards vs. Jay Lethal. That match alone, that's the match I'm looking forward to the most, as well has the new Tag Team Champions: Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs. Corino is like a cat with nine lives, and Jacobs, a long-time ROH star, is born anew. They've got the belts, and they are going to go against The Briscoes, who certainly want them back. That's going to be a war."
187_Joeism

Re: Cary Silkin talks the future, locker-room

Post by 187_Joeism »

Nice interview with Cary, is a shame that the old fans don´t have his attitude or view about the current and future of ROH. But hey i am just "one of the same three guys who wouldn't dare say a bad thing about ROH" so is not much coming from me.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

I wonder who the third guy ("who wouldn't dare say a bad thing about ROH") is? Any ideas, 187_Joeism? :)
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
thepoo62

Post by thepoo62 »

I'd like to hear more about the apparent hug between Cary and Gabe and what that might lead to....
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

I really wonder how ROH would be right now if Cary didn't have to sell the company to SBG or chose not to.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

fm20000 wrote:I really wonder how ROH would be right now if Cary didn't have to sell the company to SBG or chose not to.
You shouldn't think how the company was, you should think if there was a company without SBG.
MOOSE!
LygerFan

Post by LygerFan »

You have to respect Cary for being so political. Even Stevie Wonder can see that Sinclair took a company with some promise and completely ruined it. Cary sees it. We all do.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

fm20000 wrote:I really wonder how ROH would be right now if Cary didn't have to sell the company to SBG or chose not to.
I honestly don't know how long Cary could've kept the company afloat by himself.

People may hate Sinclair but they likely saved ROH from closing completely
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Cary said a lot of times that without SBG, ROH would have to close doors.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Sitting in a tape library in Stamford, CT right now instead of 2-3 years from now.
Last edited by Burnside on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

I really wish he had addressed the scheduling of ROH events and why they don't try to run a routine circuit of shows anymore.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

GardenStateSaint wrote:I really wish he had addressed the scheduling of ROH events and why they don't try to run a routine circuit of shows anymore.
Meltzer says it's because most of the house shows lose money, since they need to average 700 and in most markets they're drawing more like 400. Basically, they thought the Sinclair TV show would boost attendance in Sinclair markets and it hasn't, at all.
Mdodmod

Post by Mdodmod »

I'm surprised we didn't get this answer.

An update on the various technical issues that Ring of Honor has experienced during several of their recent iPPV's, what is being done to correct them, and a personal message to the ROH fans:
"To defend Ring of Honor, it's all been a combination of a couple of bad breaks and a couple of fans who aren't familiar with how to properly run live streams. Everybody has been given restitution, but we don't want it be that way, especially when its not our fault. We want people to see the shows. This upcoming one (Glory By Honor XI) is in a few weeks. We're going into it to get everything right. We will be providing detailed instructions on how to adjust computer settings for our fans who aren't tech savvy. We did have some bad luck on our end, but we had 95% that ran perfectly. This is good by our standards, but we are going to keep doing it until we get to 98%. That's the way it should be. I apologize to anyone who was inconvenienced, but in the end it is what it is.