Realistically, who could ROH bring in to re-ignite the fans

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Ladrao12

Realistically, who could ROH bring in to re-ignite the fans

Post by Ladrao12 »

For most, ROH looks like the Titanic, a boat just about to hit the iceberg and start sinking. After hearing today about WWEs "interest" in ROH, it only seems like a matter of time before we start counting the days til the end. Can ROH be saved? Sure! What's it going to take? Who should they bring it to get the fans attention again? What do they have to do overall to get back to being the best indy wrestling company?

In terms of wrestlers, they starting to lose a lot of fan favorites. The Young Bucks, TJP, El Generico, Colt Cabana, the list goes on and on. And while i'm someone on the outside looking in, like all the other fans, it makes me wonder why wrestlers like that end up leaving? Everything is a 2 way street, so maybe the wrestlers are to blame too, but everything will fall on management. Money rules everything, and why ROH seemingly doesn't have enough to pay these guys would be beyond me. I've ordered from their shop many times and have seen the number of orders they have gotten. I've been to shows where they completely sell out merchandise, and sell out venues. Something isn't adding up.

Why haven't they brought in any well known talent on a consistent basis? While I do like QT Marshall, Tadarius Thomas and ACH, I would like to see others. Why haven't they gotten any PWG guys? PWGs roster is 33% ROH guys and yet the ROH roster has noone from PWG. The likes of Willie Mack, Super Smash Bros, Brian Cage, Ricochet, etc will all be tremendous additions to the roster.
DanielBryanson

Re: Realistically, who could ROH bring in to re-ignite the f

Post by DanielBryanson »

How about Meng, Babarian, Warlord, Tatanka, 1-2-3 Kid and Aldo Montoya?
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

DanielBryanson wrote:How about Meng, Babarian, Warlord, Tatanka, 1-2-3 Kid and Aldo Montoya?
Hahahahaha
Last edited by Ladrao12 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Ladrao12 wrote:After hearing today about WWEs "interest" in ROH.
Where
MOOSE!
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

DieHard wrote:
Where
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/9812 ... est-in-roh
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

DanielBryanson wrote:How about Meng, Babarian, Warlord, Tatanka, 1-2-3 Kid and Aldo Montoya?
That would be cool, but unfortunately ROH is SUPER SERIOUS NO FUN ZONE HAVE RESPECT SHOW HONOR~! So it wouldn't be fun. Not to mention the roster is so bad that they don't have enough great talent surrounding them to make it work.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

El Generico! He is a big money indy draw who draws BIG money except that he totally doesn't draw any money whatsoever!

They need to bring him back immediately and push him again like they did two years ago when ROH was so hugely successful that it would have folded but Silkin somehow managed to sell the company to keep it alive until late 2013.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

Ladrao12 wrote:
DieHard wrote:
Where
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/9812 ... est-in-roh

The article says nothing about WWE having plans to take over ROH, does it?

WWE always had some sort of interest in ROH's best wrestlers. It might have increased though, after the good results they got with guys like D-Bryan and Punk.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

it's not really about who they could bring in, it's about using the great guys they have appropriately and push them over the less talented or ex-WWE guys like Rhino/WGTT. I don't mind them being on the roster, but it's frustrating to see WGTT get booked regularly and flown in regularly, while the best tag team in the world - who ROH had under contract all along - is not booked regularly. That's the main reason why I dislike ROH so much right now. Pushing those ex-WWE guys or midcard talent like Bennett and Mondo over the superior workers like TJP, Young Bucks, etc.
They had Young Bucks, Generico under contract, but didn't use them and that's what makes me sad. As soon as ROH starts booking and pushing the good wrestlers again over the ones with big names or who are cheap to book, buyrates and interest will rise again.
Then again, it wouldn't do any harm, to finally bring in some PWG guys. Not booking the SSB in Canada at GBH would be almost criminal. And to those who claim SSB only deliver in PWG: just give them a shot against a talented tag team at GBH and see what happens. SSB vs C & C would be all kinds of awesome!
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

"The article says nothing about WWE having plans to take over ROH, does it?

WWE always had some sort of interest in ROH's best wrestlers. It might have increased though, after the good results they got with guys like D-Bryan and Punk."

I never really said anything about a takeover, but WWE having interest in ROH is NOT a good thing.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

On the surface I dont think there is one guy out there that could lead ROH into a boom. There are plenty of talented guys though, the ones mentioned (TJP, El Generico, Colt) who should be integral parts of ROH anyway and there are guys that are yet to be given real shots in the company. ROH really needs to roll the dice with someone and find/create that breakout star.

The booking philsophy needs to change or at least mix things up a bit before being concerned with finding the next guy to carry the company.

ROH are obviously working within a budget, but spending/over exposing guys like Hardy, WGGT and Mondo instead of tried and tested ROH regulars and/or cheaper, fresher young and hungry talent is what is causing discontent amongst the ROH faithful, amongst other things.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

ROH is too far into the grave to have another boom period. The great days of ROH are over.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

SteenMark23 wrote:
That would be cool, but unfortunately ROH is SUPER SERIOUS NO FUN ZONE HAVE RESPECT SHOW HONOR~! So it wouldn't be fun. Not to mention the roster is so bad that they don't have enough great talent surrounding them to make it work.
If they announced those guys tommorow this entire forum would shit all over them.

Also I find it hilarious people are begging to have Colt back when if my memory serves correctly before his departure people whined about how stale and boring his shtick was.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

YimYac wrote: Also I find it hilarious people are begging to have Colt back when if my memory serves correctly before his departure people whined about how stale and boring his shtick was.
MOOSE!
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

I'm a big Cabana fan but if ROH just brought back same ole Colt I can't see it increasing money.

Colt's best work has always been when he was in a serious match or feud with someone

His matches vs Bryan
vs Homicide
vs Steen/Corino

etc.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

Next time his TNA contract is up, if SBG is serious about ROH then they need to offer Joe more money than TNA will. That's the only reason Joe stays there, and because WWE doesn't want him.

He might not be the Joe of old, but he could keep the old fans interested and he can be an actual top face, which the company has none of right now.
thatwrestlingshow

Post by thatwrestlingshow »

I've been a vocal supporter of Generico and Cabana being brought back into the fold but honestly I don't think any "names" could launch ROH bac into relevancy, ROH instead has to focus on developing a roster of the best and brightest unknown stars and to do that they need to do away with their silly, ineffective contracts until they actually become a nationally televised country rather than a regional territory.

ROH needs to focus on retooling their creative direction and their relations with the fans, take Chikara's lead with the Fan Conclave and reinforce unique characters and develop a more diverse selection of storylines. ROH needs to make their production quality a top concern and hire marketing executives to better manage the company's growth. Moreover ROH needs to WANT to grow, which I don't quite think they do, Sinclair is complacent and happy with ROH being a television property for their affiliates and nothing more. If anything, in this past year ROH has downsized with everything, their front office employees, their production values and their wrestlers. That just doesn't make sense. ROH needs new creative minds, looking towards innovation not repetition and ROH needs to reduce Cornette's life-sucking influence on the product.

ROH can come back, hey even TNA is making a comeback under the hand of Lagana. But with WWE being "interested" in ROH and recently using ROH footage in DVD releases I worry they'll end up another video library showing a forgotten spark of brilliance in wrestling.
MuayThai
Banned
Banned

Post by MuayThai »

NO ONE! Even is ROH could get Aries or Joe or hell even CM Punk to show up the booking will damage them its like good actors that do bad movies
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Oh, I get it, you're making fun of CHIKARA.

Got any other jokes about those shows that were critically well received, a commercial success, and had the DVDs ready the day after?
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

fm20000 wrote:Image
Next time his TNA contract is up, if SBG is serious about ROH then they need to offer Joe more money than TNA will. That's the only reason Joe stays there, and because WWE doesn't want him.

He might not be the Joe of old, but he could keep the old fans interested and he can be an actual top face, which the company has none of right now.
I'm fairly sure Joe is happy being in TNA. He's been coasting along in that company for well over 3 years.