Down With Negativity - The Bright Side of ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ahicks1130

Down With Negativity - The Bright Side of ROH

Post by ahicks1130 »

Hey guys, I'm new to the board and in a lot of ways new to ROH. I've seen many ROH matches in the past but just have not had the means to really follow with each dvd. I was in college and you know how that goes with funds. But now that I have graduated and am making good money, I've started picking up every dvd that I can. I know it's easy to get frustrated if you're a die hard watching every show since ROH's inception, but when you look with perspective, ROH is still the best promotion in the world in my opinion.

You really can't see the type of wrestling ROH offers anywhere else. The championships still have meaning, you see great matches on every show, it's the one company you can tell people you love without being ashamed. Look at the WWE, the matches appear in slow motion, catering to 5 year olds. TNA continues to ride the likes of Jeff Hardy & the Hulkster. Give me Davey and Eddie any day.

It's just my opinion, and you're entitled to your opinions as well, but you can't stop supporting ROH because they have hit a bump in the road. Yeah, there have been problems with the ippvs but they are a young, underfunded company. You can say this doesn't happen with DGUSA or Evolve, but they don't have the number of buys ROH does. Ippv is not a fully developed means of delivering a product. It will take time. I appreciate the fact that ROH is at least trying to bring the product to me instead of having to wait for dvd. And they did make up for it with the fans. Personally, I did not want the free dvd and instead asked for a coupon code from their store. They worked with me and delivered. ROH is trying hard. Stick with them!
BalzOfHonor

Re: Down With Negativity - The Bright Side of ROH

Post by BalzOfHonor »

Without the negativity, there wouldnt be any posts on this board.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

The Barrister rules.

I kinda like Mondo's schtick he's got goin' on with Maria. He's doing what Nigel wishes he could do.

Truth Martini has like, the coolest fashion sense of all time.

I'm getting a free DVD of a show I thought was pretty fun.

Tadarius Thomas and ACH will hopefully be used more.

Adam Cole's a champion in the company. A well deserved one at that.

Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs are champions in the company. That's awesome.

Kevin Steen is THE champion. Can't complain about that!
ahicks1130

Post by ahicks1130 »

Yeah, that's very true of most message boards. I'm also a Chicago White Sox fan. 90% negative, 10% positive there as well.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

- Nigel McGuinness is an awesome commentator
- iPPVs are only $15
- World title feels like it means something
- Adam Cole & Michael Elgin are future stars for sure.
- PPVs aren't usually every single month. Although they're having too many at the moment
- Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Roderick Strong, Kyle O'Reilly, C&C, Bravados, Briscoes, Jay Lethal, Ciampa
- Kevin Steen as champion. The fans demanded it, and they got it. It's kind of a shame how the reign has gone though.
Captain44

Post by Captain44 »

ROH isn't perfect, but ROH is the closest thing we have to a true wrestling company presented, as wrestling in the US that were going to get this point on a National stage. I do see some hope with ROH using a few more new guys, which I hope stick.
ahicks1130

Post by ahicks1130 »

Haha, all negativity isn't bad, just the overwhelming variety. Personally, I'm not a Steen guy myself. I'd like to see Eddie Edwards get a second reign. I don't think it will happen, but that would be my choice. Do you guys think it will be Elgin as the next to get the title?
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

I know it's easy to get frustrated if you're a die hard watching every show since ROH's inception, but when you look with perspective, ROH is still the best promotion in the world in my opinion.
Thats why we are frustrated, we love ROH but to be the best in the world they have to start utilising the talent that is out there, make the relevant changes and stop making mistakes that make them look small time.
The championships still have meaning
and thats why we love ROH, they respect the sport of pro-wrestling
Look at the WWE, the matches appear in slow motion, catering to 5 year olds. TNA continues to ride the likes of Jeff Hardy & the Hulkster.

WWE, when they want to, still put on cracking main events. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan have been involved in some classics this year and its great to see them do well. I personally believe WWE has put on some much better wrestling since 2008, when the PG era started.
Yeah, there have been problems with the ippvs but they are a young, underfunded company. You can say this doesn't happen with DGUSA or Evolve, but they don't have the number of buys ROH does. Ippv is not a fully developed means of delivering a product. It will take time.

ROH are not a young company and I wouldnt say they are underfunded. SBG have money but they choose to spend it on name talent rather than other issues like production. GFL have been doing ippv a while now and seem to be quite good at it, ROH messed up ditching them due to an issue that was not the fault of ROH or GFL.
ROH is trying hard. Stick with them!
There are so chances paying customers will give them. Its not like ROH have to try, some stuff that needs fixing is pretty simple.

ROH fans for the most are a loyal bunch and most will stick with them. You cant blame anyone for not wanting to spend money on ippvs, and on house show dvds when they arent must-see like most dvd releases used to be.

My reasons to love ROH.................

Adam Cole, Michael Elgin, Briscoes, Eddie Edwards, Roderick Strong, Kevin Steen, home of the most important World title in wrestling today and many more
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Gotta say that all of the House Shows this year have been pretty good (Save for shows like Battle of Richmond). Every show has at least 1 really good match on it, if not more
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

Every show has at least 1 really good match on it, if not more
i get that at multiple local indies for half the price and they run monthly shows to top it off. ROH rarely announces when the next area show is and if they do its 6 months away.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

dark patriot wrote:
Every show has at least 1 really good match on it, if not more
i get that at multiple local indies for half the price and they run monthly shows to top it off. ROH rarely announces when the next area show is and if they do its 6 months away.
I do agree that they need to start doing that more. NYC & Chicago should stay at 3 to 4 stops a year. I think they need to go to Philly more than once a year (they've been one of ROH's biggest cities in the past). I say not as much as NYC & Chicago, maybe twice. Going to Canada twice a year is fine. They NEED to go back to the Fairgrounds whenever they go back to Dayton (It just looks better there).

As far as other stops, Charlotte should be on the schedule at least once a year. Providence, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Charleston & Cincinnati all had good attendance & good crowds and they should probably think of returning to those places maybe do more double shots. The good thing with that is that most of the aforementioned places are either close to one another or close to NYC/Chicago
astoph

Post by astoph »

ahicks1130 wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to the board and in a lot of ways new to ROH. I've seen many ROH matches in the past but just have not had the means to really follow with each dvd. I was in college and you know how that goes with funds. But now that I have graduated and am making good money, I've started picking up every dvd that I can. I know it's easy to get frustrated if you're a die hard watching every show since ROH's inception, but when you look with perspective, ROH is still the best promotion in the world in my opinion.

You really can't see the type of wrestling ROH offers anywhere else. The championships still have meaning, you see great matches on every show, it's the one company you can tell people you love without being ashamed. Look at the WWE, the matches appear in slow motion, catering to 5 year olds. TNA continues to ride the likes of Jeff Hardy & the Hulkster. Give me Davey and Eddie any day.

It's just my opinion, and you're entitled to your opinions as well, but you can't stop supporting ROH because they have hit a bump in the road. Yeah, there have been problems with the ippvs but they are a young, underfunded company. You can say this doesn't happen with DGUSA or Evolve, but they don't have the number of buys ROH does. Ippv is not a fully developed means of delivering a product. It will take time. I appreciate the fact that ROH is at least trying to bring the product to me instead of having to wait for dvd. And they did make up for it with the fans. Personally, I did not want the free dvd and instead asked for a coupon code from their store. They worked with me and delivered. ROH is trying hard. Stick with them!
How much are they paying you?
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

astoph wrote:
ahicks1130 wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to the board and in a lot of ways new to ROH. I've seen many ROH matches in the past but just have not had the means to really follow with each dvd. I was in college and you know how that goes with funds. But now that I have graduated and am making good money, I've started picking up every dvd that I can. I know it's easy to get frustrated if you're a die hard watching every show since ROH's inception, but when you look with perspective, ROH is still the best promotion in the world in my opinion.

How much are they paying you?
Patrick Edwards under a pseudonym was my first thought reading this thread.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

You really can't see the type of wrestling ROH offers anywhere else.

In 2012, ROH has become no different than any other indy. I can tune in to WWE or TNA to see them do ROH better than ROH can with matches such as Punk vs. Danielson and Styles vs. Daniels.
The championships still have meaning
LAUGHING OUT LOUD
you see great matches on every show
The quantity of truly great matches (from a general consensus) has severely dwindled and pales in comparison to not just Chikara and PWG, but WWE and TNA as well.
it's the one company you can tell people you love without being ashamed.

Yeah.
Look at the WWE, the matches appear in slow motion, catering to 5 year olds.
Yeah, those boring Cena vs. Lesnar, Punk vs. Bryan, and MITB ladder matches can't keep up with the riveting Briscoes vs. Haas & Benjamin series.
TNA continues to ride the likes of Jeff Hardy & the Hulkster. Give me Davey and Eddie any day.
What a sec, are you criticizing TNA for pushing their biggest star, someone who knows how to do a proper sympathetic babyface performance, instead of some dime-a-dozen faceless indy geek?
It's just my opinion, and you're entitled to your opinions as well, but you can't stop supporting ROH because they have hit a bump in the road.
Yes we can. We have no obligation to invest our time and money into a product that causes misery. Doing so tells those in charge that their product is acceptable.
Yeah, there have been problems with the ippvs but they are a young, underfunded company.

LAUGHING OUT LOUD
You can say this doesn't happen with DGUSA or Evolve, but they don't have the number of buys ROH does. Ippv is not a fully developed means of delivering a product.
You're setting the bar real high here with DGUSA and EVOLVE.
It will take time. I appreciate the fact that ROH is at least trying to bring the product to me instead of having to wait for dvd.
It's not the half-assed thought that counts - it's the result that does, and THAT is the bottom line from a customer perspective.
And they did make up for it with the fans.
Giving less of a time frame for a makeup or refund offer than it took to come up with and make said offer is truly tremendous customer service that measures up to the customer service standards of the Silkin era.
Personally, I did not want the free dvd and instead asked for a coupon code from their store. They worked with me and delivered. ROH is trying hard. Stick with them!
The Carolinas should stick with the Panthers and their neverending shithole of a franchise if we are to properly apply your twisted logic.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Bro, you came into a positivity thread to post negative things?
Go start an insulting thread towards ROH or something, jeez.
Rooskie

Post by Rooskie »

Huzzah for positivity!

ROH came back to Charlotte, so I got my 2012 ROH fix without leaving town -- yea!

Loving Kevin Steen's reign as champ.

Cole & O'Reilly are welcome additions to the upper midcard/main event scene.

Guys who I was lukewarm to at first, namely Mike Bennett and Michael Elgin, are now two of my favorite acts in ROH.

Related to the last one, seeing Maria Kanellis.

The Briscoes, once stale and tired, have managed to be re-energized thanks to their great youtube promos.

Nigel's commentary is awesome -- I get goosebumps listening to him call Davey-Elgin from Florida. "Look at Elgin!"
ahicks1130

Post by ahicks1130 »

I knew I was going to get the Patrick Edwards comparison. No, I'm not him. Yes, I do like ROH.

Supersonic, you just seem angry. If you don't like it, don't watch. That simple, that's how I treat the WWE. Yeah, New Japan may be better, but I can't follow without knowing the language. I've tried to see a lot of their matches. I really like Devitt, Low Ki, Okada, Tanahashi, etc, but it's hard to get invested when you don't really know what's going on.

When you talk the WWE's great matches, it's just my opinion but I don't see it. Even ROH guys like Punk and Bryan just seem off to me working the slow WWE style. Then, it's come to the point where everyone thinks they're the Rock and has to do a People's Elbow like move. Wrestler A hits wrestler B, wrestler B lies on the ground for 5 minutes, wrestler A bounces off the ropes, does a little dance, hits a weak move. Wrestler B has to sell like he's been shot. Not my style. Removing edgy footage, blurring your own logo, no head or neck moves because god forsakes, "What if the children see it?"

I question the push of Jeff Hardy because he's blown 50,000,000 opportunities to be a top guy, including recently showing up to main event a ppv drugged out of his mind. Pushing a guy who isn't even under contract in the hopes he'll re-sign, yeah, that's a great move. Haas/Benjamin v. Briscoes, or Aces & Eights attack Brooke Hogan, give me the ROH.

To me, the thought does count. Despite people saying Sinclair has money, that doesn't mean ROH has money. It's not like Sinclair is pumping every dollar into this one subsidiary. ROH is trying their best. They don't intentionally screw up ippvs. The fact that they worked with me to create a way to make good shows me they care. The discount code they gave me was my name so it shows me they went out of their way for one fan. That's something most companies will not do. They listened. The product may not be what it once was, but the talent level on the indy scene isn't either. AJ Styles, Punk, Danielson, Joe, Daniels, etc, etc, etc, aren't undiscovered just waiting for a chance. They are doing the best with the talent they have.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm actually not even that sour on the product in 2012. I'm not going to bang my head against the wall demanding this federation to be dripping with can't-miss shows.

What I will do is call out gimmicks like you who are sent here by ROH/SBG to put out an over-the-top post attempting to overcome the federation's brutally visible shortcomings. Nobody in 2012 genuinely feels that much joy towards ROH.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I was going to place nice, but your post makes no sense.
Yeah, New Japan may be better, but I can't follow without knowing the language. I've tried to see a lot of their matches. I really like Devitt, Low Ki, Okada, Tanahashi, etc, but it's hard to get invested when you don't really know what's going on.
What's there to really understand? It's a sport over there. Talented workers facing talented workers in quality matches. There aren't any storylines to speak of, so I', confused why you don't know what's going on.
When you talk the WWE's great matches, it's just my opinion but I don't see it. Even ROH guys like Punk and Bryan just seem off to me working the slow WWE style. Then, it's come to the point where everyone thinks they're the Rock and has to do a People's Elbow like move. Wrestler A hits wrestler B, wrestler B lies on the ground for 5 minutes, wrestler A bounces off the ropes, does a little dance, hits a weak move. Wrestler B has to sell like he's been shot. Not my style. Removing edgy footage, blurring your own logo, no head or neck moves because god forsakes, "What if the children see it?"
I'm confused by this. Give me examples of your point, of a worker hitting a "People's Elbow like move" and the opponent stalling for five minutes. Oh, and apparently dancing goes on during all of this. They can't show the old WWF logo due to a trademark dispute with the World Wildlife Foundation, so your point is out the window there. The head/neck aspect is only for their Saturday morning show, and even then that's hardly the case if you actually watch the matches. So I'm confused on what you seem to be comparing.
I question the push of Jeff Hardy because he's blown 50,000,000 opportunities to be a top guy, including recently showing up to main event a ppv drugged out of his mind. Pushing a guy who isn't even under contract in the hopes he'll re-sign, yeah, that's a great move. Haas/Benjamin v. Briscoes, or Aces & Eights attack Brooke Hogan, give me the ROH.
Yet Matt Hardy being in ROH isn't a problem? At least Jeff is still over and can produce good matches when he's motivated. Matt is a bland, vanilla worker who doesn't distinguish himself in any way, not to mention the guy is a total nut in real life. So you're faulting TNA for doing something your beloved ROH is doing? (Didn't Jeff also also show up "drugged out of his mind" in 2009 or 2010?)

Pushing Jeff Hardy hoping he'll resign a contract? Sounds extremely similar to what ROH did with Kenny King earlier this summer. So again I ask: Why are you faulting TNA for things ROH has recently done/is doing?
Despite people saying Sinclair has money, that doesn't mean ROH has money.
Actually, it does. Sinclair owns the company, thus if Sinclair has the money it's not illogical to assume they should be putting more money into ROH's production.
They don't intentionally screw up ippvs.
They also refuse to apologize or even go out of their way to fix such a major issue. The Patrick Edwards blogs is just a further insult to injury.
The discount code they gave me was my name so it shows me they went out of their way for one fan. That's something most companies will not do.
You are aware that's automated based upon a list a computer system reads, correct?
They are doing the best with the talent they have.
The Headbangers, Matt Hardy, WGTT, QT Marshall.... They are choosing to invest money (They apparently don't have in your eyes) on subpar talent that isn't enticing fans. So I disagree with "they are doing the best with what they have". If they listened a quarter as much as what you are claiming, they would realize most fans simply don't care about WGTT right now, or that QT Marshall isn't accepted, or that nobody in the world was waiting to see if The Headbangers would emerge in ROH. I should point out as well many have brought up several names that they would love to see in ROH (SSB, for starters) and ROH refuses to listen, choosing instead talentless hacks like QT Marshall or WWE/TNA rejected midcarders who have "name value".
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

ahicks1130 wrote:Yeah, that's very true of most message boards. I'm also a Chicago White Sox fan. 90% negative, 10% positive there as well.
If I were a White Sox fan, I would be filled with self loathing too, and be unable to keep it from spilling out in the form of negativity. :D

I'm actually in your camp, and for all the problems ROH has, many correctable, I still enjoy it and try to keep upbeat. That's not to say I won't gleefully trash the Headbangers as being nearly useless and wish WGTT had dropped a loser leaves town match months ago, but I try to keep focused on the better aspects that keep me with the product.