Matt Hardy (At DBD X, Rumored to be at Final Battle)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Matt Hardy (At DBD X, Rumored to be at Final Battle)

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

Matt Hardy announced today on his Twitter account today that he would be attending ‘Death Before Dishonor X‘ this Saturday – and there are strong rumours that the former WWE & TNA wrestler is set for a ‘major program‘ in Ring of Honor.

Hardy was at the recent ‘Caged Hostility‘ event in Charlotte, NC and was even involved in a confrontation with Kevin Steen at the end of the event to hype up their upcoming match in PWX.

And it now looks probable that he is set for some sort of run in ROH. Earlier today, he tweeted: “After visiting Ring of Honor’s event in NC & speaking with ROH executives, I’ve been invited by ROH to attend their PPV Saturday in Chicago. I WILL be at Ring of Honor PPV, I’ll be doing a signing & have FULL access to the locker room & talent. Extremely interested in 1 match..”

After the news, PWInsider posted the following: “We heard a few weeks ago that Hardy would be in for a major program that would include a iPPV main event (I’m guessing Final Battle), so this is the kick-off to that storyline.”
Link.
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle
JigsawVs.Jason

Re: Matt Hardy

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! HELL NOOO! This has got to be a joke, I mean I do not mind him attending the show to maybe promote his match with Steen, but I pray to God and Jim Cornette they are not contemplating bringing in his untalented carcass
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

If he is there off screen like seems he will be, i don´t mind, he has his fans and the more people coming to a ROH show the best, but i have no interest in see him wrestle. Maybe he will have a promo after the show brawling with Steen or something like that to promote their match.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but what a slap in the face for all ROH fans would it be, if they do not book the Bucks and TJP because they are too expensive and then might book Hardy, who is definitely not cheap? I pray to god he only will be there to hype his match against Steen
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Is a slap but he draw more fans than TJP or the Bucks wich in the end is what matter, he was in ROH before in the glory days too so is not something (bad) that not happen before, saying that i hope and wish that he is only there to do signings.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I am not convinced by this whole big name draws money argument. I mean who buys ROH iPPVs? By and large the die hard fanbase. Is Matt Hardy a draw for die hard ROH fans? Definitely not. I don't see why he would draw money, other than him being another big name. And if ROH is starting to go by that mentality they will go the same way TNA went in 2005, i.e. become a crappy wannabee WWE rip-off
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Matt Hardy has cleaned himself up in the past year. He looks great and healthy and has been working the indies for a while. I don't see the problem bringing him in for a one shot

I personally have no problem with it, It didn't even say he is wrestling.

I can definitely appreciate the whining that will result from it.

JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

YimYac wrote:Matt Hardy has cleaned himself up in the past year. He looks great and healthy and has been working the indies for a while.

I personally have no problem with it, although I can definitely appreciated the whining that will result from it. It didn't even say he is wrestling.
..and I hope he is not wrestling...
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

If he's just there then it's whatever. If he becomes an active part of the roster, then it's just another reason for me not to buy iPPVs.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

The question of who buys ROH iPPVs is the key, i think a lot of casual fans buy ROH iPPV now. Is different buy DVD like the fans did in the past than now that with the iPPV thing now is more easy for someone to buy online a particular show. They are not bringing him (If he actually do something in the show) for the ROH fans, Steen, Richards, etc are the ones for that, they try to attract casual fans with Hardy doing a signings, is not something that i particulary like but if the hardcore fanbase isn´t enough they have to do something.
Last edited by 187_Joeism on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I'm gonna reserve judgment on this one. I have no problems with it if it's a one shot deal, but I'm gonna wait on it before I say anything (since Matt's a very controversial person)
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

187_Joeism wrote:The question of who buys ROH iPPVs is the key, i think a lot of casual fans buy ROH iPPV now. Is different buy DVD like the fans did in the past than now that with the iPPV thing now is more easy for someone to buy online a particular show. They are not bringing him (If he actually do something in the show) for the ROH fans, Steen, Richards, etc are the ones for that, they try to attract casual fans with Hardy doing a signings, is not something that i particulary like but if the hardcore fanbase isn´t enough they have to do something.
Do you have anything to back up why you think casual fans buy ROH iPPVs now? I would think with the steadily declining numbers, if anything, the hardcores are leaving the product.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Just based off the reactions I've read from places like Twitter and Facebook

Casual fans are excited as hell for Rhino vs Steen. The only people upset seems to be a small group of smarks. These things ROH are using to bring in the casual crowds ARE in fact working despite what people may think.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

If they're working, why haven't iPPV buyrates and attendance numbers gone up?
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

syxxpakk wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:The question of who buys ROH iPPVs is the key, i think a lot of casual fans buy ROH iPPV now. Is different buy DVD like the fans did in the past than now that with the iPPV thing now is more easy for someone to buy online a particular show. They are not bringing him (If he actually do something in the show) for the ROH fans, Steen, Richards, etc are the ones for that, they try to attract casual fans with Hardy doing a signings, is not something that i particulary like but if the hardcore fanbase isn´t enough they have to do something.
Do you have anything to back up why you think casual fans buy ROH iPPVs now? I would think with the steadily declining numbers, if anything, the hardcores are leaving the product.
Is just an opinion, i mean thanks to twitter for example lots of people discover indy wrestling. Regarding the hardcore fans you can say the mayority leave ROH in 2006.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Steve Corino ‏@SteveCorino

Dear @ringofhonor fans, Don't be negative about @matthardybrand coming to #DBDX, think about how you will get to see his re-Surge-nce #OMEGA
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

187_Joeism wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:
Is just an opinion, i mean thanks to twitter for example lots of people discover indy wrestling. Regarding the hardcore fans you can say the mayority leave ROH in 2006.
ROH had some strong years business-wise in '07 and '08 (for ROH), so I don't know if that's accurate. I would guess the big drop-off started in '09, but then rebuilt itself with a hot 2010, before it started faltering again at the end of last year.
MuayThai
Banned
Banned

Post by MuayThai »

If they want to blew money why not just set it on fire that would quicker
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

syxxpakk wrote:If they're working, why haven't iPPV buyrates and attendance numbers gone up?
Boiling Point was a sold out crowd. If they waited more than 3 weeks to promote that show buyrates would have likely been higher. Also keep in mind some people watched BP for free

House show attendance has been solid with most crowds ranging from 350-500 which is the average number ROH has always done for house shows.

So I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your post