Matt Hardy (At DBD X, Rumored to be at Final Battle)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Lazyking

Re: Matt Hardy (At DBD X, Rumored to be at Final Battle)

Post by Lazyking »

I'm sorry, but Matt Hardy is not gonna sell tix... ROH is not on the casual fan's radar, the tv show is not broadcast in enough areas to make people flock to an ROH show.
icyhot

Post by icyhot »

Hardy will sell tickets in the smaller southern markets.

He'll get shit on everywhere else though.
Support REAL Indy Wrestling and small business.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Lazyking wrote:I'm sorry, but Matt Hardy is not gonna sell tix... ROH is not on the casual fan's radar, the tv show is not broadcast in enough areas to make people flock to an ROH show.
At the very first Death Before Dishonor, ROH was not on the casual fan's radar. it had considerably less exposure than it does now - at the time, save for a cross-over show with FWA in England, ROH hadn't wrestled south or west of Pennsylvania. ROH was still nearly a year from its Chicago debut, and still nearly two years from its Manhattan debut (it's hard to imagine ROH not always being in those two places).

and at that very first Death Before Dishonor, another Hardy made an appearance in ROH. Jeff was "washed up", many of the "ROH Faithful" were pissed he was there, and a $HIT TON of fans who had never even heard of ROH showed up. i believe at the time that card may have even set attendance records, but i can't remember for sure.

ROH Fans booed, and scores of teenage girls who had never been to ROH cried in the crowd. it was amazing.

the name "Hardy" puts butts in seats.
Lazyking

Post by Lazyking »

Jeff Hardy is way more loved then Matt. Not to mention, Matt has had major personal problems the past few years and hasn't been seen on TV in at least two years.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Tree wrote:
Lazyking wrote:I'm sorry, but Matt Hardy is not gonna sell tix... ROH is not on the casual fan's radar, the tv show is not broadcast in enough areas to make people flock to an ROH show.
At the very first Death Before Dishonor, ROH was not on the casual fan's radar. it had considerably less exposure than it does now - at the time, save for a cross-over show with FWA in England, ROH hadn't wrestled south or west of Pennsylvania. ROH was still nearly a year from its Chicago debut, and still nearly two years from its Manhattan debut (it's hard to imagine ROH not always being in those two places).

and at that very first Death Before Dishonor, another Hardy made an appearance in ROH. Jeff was "washed up", many of the "ROH Faithful" were pissed he was there, and a $HIT TON of fans who had never even heard of ROH showed up. i believe at the time that card may have even set attendance records, but i can't remember for sure.

ROH Fans booed, and scores of teenage girls who had never been to ROH cried in the crowd. it was amazing.

The name "Jeff Hardy" puts "butts in seats".

I find it interesting you mentioned when Jeff Hardy worked the inaugural Death Before Dishonor and apparently brought, and I quote, a "$HIT TON of fans who had never even heard of ROH", (without even knowing how many actually became avid ROH fans after that, additionally), but didn't discuss what fans Matt Hardy potentially brought in in his few ROH appearances, even after he name dropped ROH on WWE television.

You comparing Jeff to Matt is comparing Shawn Michaels to Marty Jannetty; People simply care more about one than the other. Jeff Hardy might draw for TNA, but that doesn't mean Matt Hardy will draw for ROH.
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

Jeremy wrote:
Tree wrote:

I find it interesting you mentioned when Jeff Hardy worked the inaugural Death Before Dishonor and apparently brought, and I quote, a "$HIT TON of fans who had never even heard of ROH", (without even knowing how many actually became avid ROH fans after that, additionally), but didn't discuss what fans Matt Hardy potentially brought in in his few ROH appearances, even after he name dropped ROH on WWE television.

You comparing Jeff to Matt is comparing Shawn Michaels to Marty Jannetty; People simply care more about one than the other. Jeff Hardy might draw for TNA, but that doesn't mean Matt Hardy will draw for ROH.
That's a really weak comparision, Matt Hardy is a bigger name then Jannetty and Jeff isn't HBK by comparision either (their popularity isn't that far apart). Matt still has fans who will still come down to this shows to see him. Plus Jannetty wasn't HBK's brother, there's a lot of Jeff Hardy fans who are Hardy Boyz fans, so yeah, Matt Hardy still has name value.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

I'm just completely dumbfounded considering how I constantly hear ROH doesn't like spending money yet brings in a guy like Hardy, who presumably has a higher per appearance fee than most Indy wrestlers. I personally don't like Hardy and I don't see him as a fit at all. I REALLY hope Steen/Hardy isn't happening at Final Battle. I'd be fine with any other iPPV, but that match is not a be all, end all match deserving to close out the year.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Jeremy wrote:
Tree wrote:

I find it interesting you mentioned when Jeff Hardy worked the inaugural Death Before Dishonor and apparently brought, and I quote, a "$HIT TON of fans who had never even heard of ROH", (without even knowing how many actually became avid ROH fans after that, additionally), but didn't discuss what fans Matt Hardy potentially brought in in his few ROH appearances, even after he name dropped ROH on WWE
because when Jeff Hardy appeared in ROH, the company was still in its early years, and the bump in attendance on that day was very obvious. as for whether they became fans after that, that's not the point - even a one-time influx of extra cash can be significant for a fledgling company. As for Matt's appearances in ROH, other than his matches being SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than Jeff's, i really don't remember the bump in attendance. but the level of his matches - which seems to be what people here are most concerned with - was much higher than his brother's.
MuayThai
Banned
Banned

Post by MuayThai »

I don't care if Hardy is feuding with Steen, Cole or even Redwood I don't care about Matt Hardy he's fat out of shape and out his mind. I would say working with him would only hurt Cole's momentum
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Matt Hardy:
Be open-minded & think about this @ChrisWWFu. For ROH to grow & survive, they need to grow & retain a bigger audience beside just u & their diehard 'smart' fans. To achieve this, they need a mainstream star & globally-branded name like Matt Hardy. I'm only there for the greater good.
MOOSE!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t know if he will bring people or not, but he is right there, ROH can´t survive with only the diehard fans anymore.