Davey Richards "American Bandit"

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
YimYac

Davey Richards "American Bandit"

Post by YimYac »

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this story
By Mike Johnson on 2012-07-30 12:19:58
Strange situation involving Davey Richards over the weekend. Richards, Tony Kozina and Kyle O'Reilly were all slated to appear for an independent in Iowa titled APW. The trio showed up late and the card had been restructured under the assumption they wouldn't be making the appearance. When they showed, as the story goes, they allegedly got into their gear, were given their pay, then left and drove off without working. One story making the rounds is that the promoter was out $350. Richards has since been "liking" references to the issue made on his Facebook page, so there's obviously something to the story.
(from another forum)

The company I work for (3XW) helped a couple smaller local groups book Richards, Kozina, O'Reilly and one of their flunkies for a triple shot this weekend.

They worked for us Friday night. Everything went perfectly smooth. They were totally professional and already asking about coming back to work for us again.

Saturday night, I wasn't at the show. They set up camp outside the locker room, talking shit about everyone and everything involved with the show. Kozina went out for his match with Ryan, who is 16/17 years old, and told him he was changing the plan, and was going to teach him about respect. I haven't watched the video yet, but everyone I've talked to said he roughed the kid up, and legitimately choked him out in the finish.

Sunday afternoon, we show up at the venue and find the promoter, a friend of mine, pissed off. The show starts in 20 minutes and none of them have arrived. Davey has been texting him all day and is now demanding to change the card and put the four of them in an 8 man tag. Jeremy has already changed up the card for them multiple times through the day, but will not take them all out of separate matches, because of promises made to other workers, to the fans, and the price that had been negotiated for 4 separate matches. Show starts, Jeremy goes out and breaks the news to the crowd that they won't be on the show, and life goes on.

They finally do show up at the building before the main event goes on and demand to speak to Jeremy. He takes the issue out of the locker room and goes outside to meet them. They threaten to kick Jeremy's ass (and he's all of 140 pounds soaking wet) if he doesn't give them their money. He finally works out a deal that KOR and DR will work for a slightly reduced fee in the main event. He pays them upfront as a gesture of good faith (trying not to piss them off further, or get his ass kicked). They change into their gear and work out the plan for the match. As they're doing that, their stooge trainee is quietly running their bags back out to their truck. "Where's the wrist tape?" "Oh, I left it in the truck. Be right back." They run out the back door, into a waiting car with Kozina behind the wheel, the promoter out $350 mostly from his own pocket.

Meanwhile nearly every reference to it on Facebook from someone involved gets a bunch of responses from the four of them tagged #TeamBandit and other shit, basically bragging about getting away with it.

Calls have been made to ROH and Sinclair, but apparently Richards has been done with ROH for a few weeks now and is not being brought back.
Break out the Kozina memes!
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Re: Davey Richards "American Bandit"

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Here is Kozina's match where he supposedly shot on the other guy
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Meme's aside, is this definitely all accurate?

I can't see any of this #TeamBandit stuff on Facebook or Twitter.

Plus I find "apparently Richards has been done with ROH for a few weeks now and is not being brought back." very unlikely
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

This has to be some kind of work or something.

I find it amusing that they'd phone Sinclair though.

"Hmm, is that Joe Koff? Davey Richards just stole my money. Could you ask him to give it back to me?"
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

No idea if it's true

In that match though you can definitely tell Kozina was shooting
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

YimYac wrote:No idea if it's true

Yea those piledrivers were ridiculous.

He was just pissed he was given a 16 year old and not someone in their 20s like he keeps demanding
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:

He was just pissed he was given a 16 year old and not someone in their 20s like he keeps demanding
I'm sure more info will come out as the days go on.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

YimYac wrote:
ROHWorld_Harry wrote:

I'm sure more info will come out as the days go on.
Can we expect them to debut as a new heel stable in ROH with this theme:

It'd sure make Boiling Point interesting :lol:
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

Yeah, giving a 16 year old a move that ROH doesn't even allow seems like a bit much. Other than that, most of the moves seemed pretty basic, though I'm sure they still hurt like hell on a teenager who doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing. Also, was that the kid's mom yelling in the front row?
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Meltzer report on it:
--We'll likely have more on this later but Nathan Blodgett (Jaysin Strife, a wrestler in Iowa) who runs Magnum Pro Wrestling in Council Bluffs wrote a long letter regarding Davey Richards, Kyle O'Reilly and Tony Kozina, who did a series of shows in Iowa this weekend.  They worked 3XWrestling in Des Moines on Friday and Magnum Pro in Council Bluffs on Saturday.  They did a seminar Saturday afternoon, started 30 minutes late but they called in advance and nobody complained.

Blodgett said Richards had great information for the students but also buried many of the biggest stars in wrestling.  Richards told students it's best at first to travel and work for free getting beat up, but also said that he doesn't work hard on small indie shows, saw Blodgett watching and then said, "except for tonight."  He said Kozina took liberties on one of his guys (who is 16) supposedly mad because of something Ryan Kidd (the foe) said on a promo and on Twitter where he was trying to build the match.  Kozina cleared doing a promo before the match with Blodgett, but not the nature of it where he said they weren't going to see a pro wrestling match, they were going to see real wrestling, and stretched him.  Blodgett claimed Richards and O'Reilly were watching and shouting "respect."

On the third night for Adrenaline Pro, they asked (because Kozina's foot was hurt and O'Reilly's back was bothering him) to work against four guys from the promotion in one match instead of separate bouts.  They ended up going back-and-forth with the local promoter and at one point, it fell apart.  However, they showed up to get paid and Blodgett said there were even threats made against the 115-pound promoter.  They arrived at the end of the show, the situation was diffused and had a last minute situation.  The promoter wanted to change the pay because they had changed the booking.  Everything them seemed okay, as they got paid in advance as a sign of good faith and then Blodgett said they went out the back door and left.  On Richards' Facebook he apparently called the Team Bandits instead of Team Ambition.  Blodgett said he feels at fault since he put the deal together to bring them in and then they ripped off his friend.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

BigTChamp wrote:Yeah, giving a 16 year old a move that ROH doesn't even allow seems like a bit much. Other than that, most of the moves seemed pretty basic, though I'm sure they still hurt like hell on a teenager who doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing. Also, was that the kid's mom yelling in the front row?
I checked out some of Ryan Kidd's matches in the sidebar after the video.

He is clearly properly trained and can work a match. Hell Corino's son was wrestling in Japan at like 14 and 15.

No reason for Kozina to act that way.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

This still makes no sense. There is no reason for them to act like that and they would've known it would come out at some stage.

And the whole them boasting about it just doesn't fit. Be interesting to hear from Davey/Kyle/Tony.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

It makes no sense for them to steal money and then brag about it on Facebook. That would make them possibly the worst thieves ever. There has to be more to the story that will come out in the upcoming days.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

I saw many teenage wrestler in Japan so I don't like Kozina did.
But New Japan once liked that.
It's first I feel sad Davey leave New Japan.
ROHIsWrestling

Post by ROHIsWrestling »

Hopefully all of this is just a work. If they're just doing this to be dicks, I lost a lot of respect for them; especially Davey.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

ROHIsWrestling wrote:Hopefully all of this is just a work. If they're just doing this to be dicks, I lost a lot of respect for them; especially Davey.
That's pretty much where I stand.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

There's no way to cut this in their favor. What a bunch of pricks. Especially Kozina. The guy is a fucking nobody and he thinks it's cool to just embarrass a 16 year old kid like that? He deserves to have the shit beat out of him after doing that to a kid.

I just lost all respect I had for those 3. Especially Davey and Kozina. Davey always came off like a good dude but robbing a probably broke indy promotion for NO reason. What a fucking joke.
Last edited by fm20000 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

Update via the WON web site:
Hello there. For those of you receiving this email and do not know me, I am Nathan Blodgett. I run MAGNUM PRO out of Council Bluffs, Iowa and I also perform professionally as Jaysin Strife and occasionally as The Yellow Dog. Now you may have caught wind of this incident, and gotten a very good look at my personal feelings about this, but I will attempt to be as professional as possible herein so that I may give you guys an accurate description of what took place on July 29th, 2012. Here is a little back story of events prior too, and also of this weekend that lead up to now...

Back in July I contacted Davey and his crew to come up and perform on a string of shows that three companies had come together to run the last weekend of July. I handled all the details with Davey personally in regards to the amount of money that would be paid for services and also lodging and such as well during their travels here. Everything was talked about, Davey informed me that their flat rate we discussed included transportation that he would take care of out of his side of it. I also let him know we would be doing things for them to earn some extra money so that their gas costs would not have to come out of their pay. 3X Wrestling on Friday night allowed Davey to do a polaroid session which they gave him a cut of. My company, MAGNUM PRO, allowed Davey to help young guys out with a training seminar on Saturday afternoon. On Friday night everything went great. The guys showed up on time, and where very professional and cordial in every way. They worked hard and put on a great show in every aspect. A "show" it seems to be exactly what it was. This leads into Saturday...The arranged time for the training seminar on Saturday didn't seem to be fitting to the Team Ambition schedule, so we switched the time on the fly to an hour later and no one seemed bothered by that at all. As the day progressed and we where setting up for the show, I was getting informed via text message from Tony Kozina that they would be running late. A half hour after the re arranged start time, the camp began. Davey had great information for the kids in attendance and spoke a lot about respect for the wrestling business and things of that nature. It the same fowl swoop, Davey began to BURY many of the top stars to these up and coming kids. I'm sure it happens in all aspects of wrestling at times, but what irked me is that he was taking time that these guys paid to learn, to basically have his own little shoot interview. In the course of all this I overheard Davey tell the kids in the camp that it would be best for them to all go places and work for free just to get beat up and learn, understandable in the sense of young guys just looking to branch out and get experience. However, in the exact same statement Davey states, "I don't work hard on these small indy shows like this." Only to notice I was standing in ear shot and heard every word. Immediate eye contact was made and Davey fumbled around to save it by saying, "except for tonight." This should have been a sign that things where not going to go correctly. Fast forward to that evenings show. For the entire first half of the card Davey and his crew sat out by the sound table and openly criticized the show, the venue, and the talent, very negatively within ear shot of all the fans. They slowly but surely seemed to show that instead of helping guys, like I believe people in his position should, that they only cared for the money and didn't respect anything that was being done that night. Which brings us to the second half of the show when "Team Ambition" was set to perform. It was a match slated to be Tony Kozina vs Ryan Kidd. Tony was upset at some things that Kidd stated in a promo that he shot for the show, as well as his twitter @KiddKillsCali. Now mind you, this is pro wrestling, this is a show, and put on a show is what Kidd had done to build for the match that he was looking forward to. By no means did Kidd personally attack or say anything that, in our business, could, would, or should, be deemed as a personal attack on someone. Before the match Kozina grabbed the mic and cut a little promo. He did clear that with me, however what came of it, he did not. Kozina proceeded to tell the crowd that they weren't going to see a pro wrestling match, they where going to see "real" wrestling. Tony Kozina proceeded to take liberties, and stretch and shoot on a 16 year old kid just looking to work someone who could teach him some stuff about wrestling. Much like I did when I wrestled Tony about 7 years earlier at NWA Central States wrestling. Legit choking a minor on a couple of occasions, as well as very dangerously performing wrestling maneuvers that could have had a very negative impact on his Kidd's health and well being. While all of this is going on, Davey Richards and Kyle O' Reilly stood in the back stage area and even right in the curtain area and shouted "respect" numerous times, very vocally, and very obnoxiously, to get their "gimmick" over, or to just disrespect everything that was taking place. There is a link on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPMp86PRrzU, of the match, where all of my statements can be validated. This shouting "respect" did not just happen during that match. For all the matches left on the card these guys proceeded to do the very same thing and it did not cease until the show was over. All of these disrespectful actions leads into Sunday...

On Sunday, July 29th, Adrenaline Pro Wrestling was to be the last show on the 3 day stint for Team Ambition. I informed the guys via text of the address of the show and that doors opened at 3:30 PM on that day at 9:16 AM. Giving these guys plenty of time to be where they where supposed to be for the day. At 1:54 PM I began to get text messages from Tony asking if the card could be changed to put all of them against 4 guys from APW so that they could lighten the work load. Apparently Tony had dinged up his foot, and Kyle had tweaked his back. As I was relaying info to the promoter, the promoter said he would alright with doing that but since he wasn't get what was agreed upon that he would appreciate it if they lowered the rate. Shortly after I replied to Tony he says, "We'll talk to him when we get there..." and that was at a little after 2 PM. Between this time, and the next text I get from Tony at 3:46 PM, Tony begins texting with the promoter from Davey's phone. I was privy to all that was being said and the promoter went back and forth with Tony for over an hour and a half. Numerous times stating they where only 20 minutes away and things of that nature. First Tony agreed to the original plan, then changed it again and said no WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS, and things of that nature. The promoter tried coming up with many different ways to both appeal to these guys, and also make it feasible for him since he was not getting what was agreed upon. It was time to open doors and the guys still weren't there. The APW promoter had a tough choice to make and he told them they where not needed on the show any longer and that they should just head home, after being told that as of the doors opening they where 45 minutes away. Tony got in touch with me and stated that the promoter was trying to pull a fast one on them, I was obviously aware of the situation and stated that it was out of my hands and that I felt nothing was being pulled and the promoter was justified in his actions. At this point Davey begins to start contacting me personally. I sent Davey to the promoter because I said again that it was out of my hands. Davey told the promoter numerous times that he is not allowed to cancel them and that he has no choice that they are coming to work and get paid. After several of the scheduled matches they where to be in, where supposed to go on, they finally showed up. They showed up 4 minutes before the main event, which was then pushed forward to give these guys one last opportunity to do something because "Davey couldn't just lose $300." Once they arrived Davey went from being sincere, to be being pushy and violent in a matter of moments. Once I started hearing threats against the APW promoter I walked outside to step in. There is no reason for 4 men to threaten a 115 lb. promoter who is only looking out for his company. After the threat of violence, and the statement from Davey saying that if he called Jim Cornette that Jim would condone all of Davey's actions including beating up someone literally half his size. I helped diffuse the situation, came to an agreement for a VERY VERY last minute match, and the promoter came to an agreement on a rate with them for this as well. As the boys came in and suited up, just Kyle and Davey, they all chatted amongst themselves while doing so. It did not register with me quickly what was about to take place. Tony was slowly carrying their bags to the vehicle in which the student was already at. We chatted with Davey really quick about match details and figured out a finish. Everything seemed cool. As the first guy went to the ring I heard a little ruckus, and as my music began playing I turned around to see Kyle O' Reilly sprinting out the back door. The promoter had agreed to give them their money up front as a sign of good faith that everything was cool and this new match would go as planned. Obviously there was a reason that Davey DEMANDED the money up front. After all was said and done the boys from Team Ambition have been making light and poking fun at the fact that they robbed the same people who work in the same business that they do. They cheated the fans, no matter how many where in the crowd, of the matches that they paid to see. On Davey's FaceBook he has started coining the phrase Team Bandits and is "liking" every status about them robbing a local promoter who was doing nothing more then looking out for his company.

This is very tough for me to write about and not keep my personal feelings out of because I set this whole weekend up. I feel at fault for these men ripping off my friends and making a joke of the business that I have sunk a lot of my life into to. I hope you guys will take this information and put it to good use. I am available to be contacted personally thru email, text, phone call, twitter, Facebook or any other avenue you can think of. I will leave my contact info below and please feel free to follow up with me personally, or ask me any questions. Please email this to friends, promoters, websites, or anything that can get this story out. A lot of people are calling this a work and I am sad to say that it is not. I have very ill feelings towards these men, and do not consider this respectful business. Again, I hope all of you will take this seriously and help us spread the word that crooks and cowards like this don't belong in a business that we all love. Their abilities should hold no weight in the feelings toward the men that these boys portray. Thank you for your time and understanding and I hope that you will be able to help us in this fight.

Nathan Blodgett
Owner of MAGNUM PRO