Could there have been a Gabe/ROH relationship?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
syxxpakk

Could there have been a Gabe/ROH relationship?

Post by syxxpakk »

From the latest Observer:
Even though it’s pretty much said that ROH and Gabe Sapolsky are enemies, and from the ROH standpoint, there has been communication at various times between the two sides. Joe Koff went off at a recent media conference when asked about a comment Sapolsky made when they had their third iPPV malfunction, saying he wouldn’t address anything he said. They also sent a legal cease and desist letter to him for comments he’s made about the promotion. Plus, for the past year or two, without being prompted, people in ROH have constantly brought up Sapolsky in a negative way. However, there was talk in late January from the ROH side with him about WWNLive.com taking over for GoFightLive.TV as their iPPV provider. The WWNLive people made a proposal to ROH, but never heard back. Jim Cornette called Sapolsky about getting an award on the 10th anniversary show in New York (the show where Nigel McGuinness mentioned Sapolsky as one of the key people who built the company) and they spoke at the time. The idea the award was going to lead to an angle at the show. I don’t know the details, but it was not going to be a Dragon Gate USA vs. ROH feud and Sapolsky turned down the idea. He countered with an idea of returning to the company, since it is a different management than the ones who fired him a few years back, and he and Cornette worked together for a long time when Sapolsky was booking. But ROH wasn’t interested.
syxxpakk

Re: Could there have been a Gabe/ROH relationship?

Post by syxxpakk »

I'd love to hear Gabe's thoughts on this, since we know he checks these boards out on occasion.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I'm surprised it doesn't seem like it would take a massive grovelling apology from Gabe for his comments to be brought back.

"Plus, for the past year or two, without being prompted, people in ROH have constantly brought up Sapolsky in a negative way."

Publicly? I barely remember them even acknowledging him.
Last Real Man Hype
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

WHO IS ONLINE
Users browsing this forum: Gabe, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Marketh., ROHWorld_Steven, syxxpakk and 1 guest

Come on Gabe! :lol:
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

a pity Gabe turned that offer down, he should have been at the 10th year's anniversary show after all he's done for the company...
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
2 Gatz

Post by 2 Gatz »

I'd love to see an ROH/DGUSA feud. I'd also love to see Gabe come back to ROH.

:x :x :x
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

He countered with an idea of returning to the company
If true it hardly shows his commitment to DGUSA/EVOLVE.

Personally, Id love to see a working relationship between Gabe and ROH, even if its just talent exchange.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think a working relation between DGUSA/EVOLVE and ROH is what all the fans wants, i hope that sooner or later he will see some advances in that.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

since itd probably lead to more shows in my area and obviously an influx of talent id be for it.
2 Gatz

Post by 2 Gatz »

Working something out would so clearly be in everybody's best interest (whether it be a talent exchange or just Gabe coming back to book). Especially when you consider how WWE and TNA are signing up a lot of talent right now from the smaller promotions, and it looks like the raiding will continue for the foreseeable future.

Things aren't bad now, but talent could wind up being spread very thin if ROH and Gabe don't come to some kind of agreement.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

2 Gatz wrote:Working something out would so clearly be in everybody's best interest (whether it be a talent exchange or just Gabe coming back to book). Especially when you consider how WWE and TNA are signing up a lot of talent right now from the smaller promotions, and it looks like the raiding will continue for the foreseeable future.

Things aren't bad now, but talent could wind up being spread very thin if ROH and Gabe don't come to some kind of agreement.
I agree and i fear this as well. The best thing for them to do is start a working relationship. Fans want this.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

why is Gabe not commenting on this one? :D
Also I second this, WWE and TNA raiding the indys can last only so long, before both ROH and DGUSA could be in trouble, I honestly hope we will see the day these two companies do business together...but it'S hard to believe at this point
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
rsinx86

Post by rsinx86 »

a dg*usa/evolve vs. roh fued would be insane & could really draw some great crwods & boast dvd/ippv sales up. a couple steps higher then the czw vs. roh fued, which i thought was awesome & attended 3 shows during (hell freezes over, arena warfare & 100th show), all really fun angles to see happen live & on dvd. also, there is so much to say when thinking of gabe being back in roh, please: someway, somehow.
krispywrestling

Post by krispywrestling »

If ROH lasts another 3 years, I fully expect there to be some sort of either working relationship formed between the two sides, or even Gabe returning to ROH in a creative capacity once again. I just think it's inevitable. In wrestling, bad blood can sometimes be washed away easier than you'd think, for the sake of doing some business.
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

With WWE sucking up talent like a vacuum eventually they'll have to come to terms and merge if either company even wants to survive.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Is Gabe still bitter and taking cheap shots on Twitter?

Then no.
ROH Fan 81

Post by ROH Fan 81 »

I would love to see Gabe brining the DGUSA/Evolve guys to do a takeover of the company he helped create. Similar to a NWO/WCW type thing. Just imagine all the dream matches.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Riddick wrote:With WWE sucking up talent like a vacuum eventually they'll have to come to terms and merge if either company even wants to survive.
since when? indy wrestling has survived for generations. and indy wrestling losing wrestlers to larger companies has gone on since professional wrestling began.

if ROH/DGUSA/any other indy go out of business, it's not going to be because the WWE sucked up talent.

people think there's suddenly an influx of talent going to the WWE. Bryan Danielson has already been in the WWE for 3 years. Tyler Black, two years. Evan Bourne? Almost 5 years. Claudio and Hero are the only two off the top of my head who have been there less than a year.

and CM Punk? he's going on 7 years - heck, he's been in the WWE system more than twice as long as he was in ROH.
YimYac wrote:Is Gabe still bitter and taking cheap shots on Twitter?

Then no.
this. Gabe needs to get over it. i'd love to see everyone working together, but man, if you're going to stay bitter, do it in private.
ROH Fan 81 wrote:I would love to see Gabe brining the DGUSA/Evolve guys to do a takeover of the company he helped create. Similar to a NWO/WCW type thing. Just imagine all the dream matches.
as a rule, invasion angles suck. they rarely work. sometimes, they suck from the get go. other times they fizzle out. the NWO started hot, then just became a joke and the definition of suck. even the ROH-CZW fued short circuited. it could have, and should have been, much much more. (don't take that the wrong way, i loved the ROH-CZW fued. but there was so much more that could have, and should have happened.)
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

If we can see a McMahon/Bischoff hug live on Raw, anything is possible
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I would love Gabe to come back. Him returning to the company in his old role (or in any kind of creative capacity) would immediately increase my interest in ROH quite sizeably. Not expecting everyone to agree with that, but as a fan of ROH since 2002, my enjoyment of the product has, bar a few periods, almost steadily declined in the time since he left.

I'm not sure it will ever happen though. And I'm not sure his booking ethos would fit in with the SBG-ROH direction anyway. In his time booking ROH, Evolve and DGUSA he's got a proven track record of pulling out all the stops, and doing all he can to deliver the best show possible on any given evening. Even with ROH's 'B-shows', he would always be booking at least SOMETHING to make that show worthwhile to the live crowd and in DVD sales. That's his thing, that's how he operates.

SBG are making a conscious effort to push a TV product, and I just don't see Gabe being excited or creatively challenged by booking live events in half-empty buildings in 'TV show markets' with the limited roster ROH has, churning out the kind of play-it-safe, unremarkable house show stuff ROH has been producing since the SBG takeover.

Like I said, I'd love it to happen. I think the quality of the product would improve significantly if Gabe came back. Just don't see it happening anytime soon.

For what it's worth, I agree that these exclusive contracts and the 'line in the sand' wrestlers can't cross between ROH and Evolve/DGUSA isn't working for anyone and will, in the long term strangle both promotions. It's not good for young wrestlers on the indy scene either...