Official Death Before Dishonor XIV Weekend Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: Official Death Before Dishonor XIV Weekend Thread

Post by supersonic »

Facebook and YouTube commenters are generally not a substantial barometer test.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

You may be right, however I feel those commenters represent the more casual fans than those on Twitter and message boards like these. And if casual fans are excited, that can't be a bad thing.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Another PPV I'll be ordering a replay of. Last time it was work, this time because Missouri's high school football season begins on the 19th and I do the television broadcasts on local TV for my hometown team.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

TYFDK wrote:You may be right, however I feel those commenters represent the more casual fans than those on Twitter and message boards like these. And if casual fans are excited, that can't be a bad thing.
I agree. I think, interestingly and increasingly, the YouTube/Facebook fan base is likely more represented of a majority of present ROH fans than this message board.

ROH personnel has thrown around viewing numbers in the hundreds of thousands of households. They have almost 700K likes on FB and 121K Twitter followers. The law of averages dictates that you'll likely get a more representative slice of the fan base from the higher sample than the 40-50 active posters on this board.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I see DBD being the lowest buyrate of the PPVs so far. Even if the card is stellar that weekend has a lot going on in wrestling with NXT Brooklyn and SummerSlam. I see this show flying under the radar of the casual fans who will be caught up in SummerSlam hype.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

There's also UFC 202 headlined by Diaz vs. McGregor; also in Vegas btw so a terrific alternate option to NYC.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

The World and TV title matches for the PPV are set (well, I'm assuming so on the World judging by the spoilers) but is there any idea on the tag titles? I re-match from BitW I'm guessing?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Sure was a bright idea to give the belts back to the Addiction for no reason whatsoever.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

dhads7161 wrote:I see DBD being the lowest buyrate of the PPVs so far. Even if the card is stellar that weekend has a lot going on in wrestling with NXT Brooklyn and SummerSlam. I see this show flying under the radar of the casual fans who will be caught up in SummerSlam hype.
And let's not forget that the last two PPVs have been disappointing value for your $35.00
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Are you guys not using Ringside accounts for discounts on PPV's? I've seen all the ones from the past year for only a little over $25.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

TYFDK wrote:Are you guys not using Ringside accounts for discounts on PPV's? I've seen all the ones from the past year for only a little over $25.
I'd rather watch on TV.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

dhads7161 wrote:
TYFDK wrote:Are you guys not using Ringside accounts for discounts on PPV's? I've seen all the ones from the past year for only a little over $25.
I'd rather watch on TV.
Chromecast would work, no?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Toru Yano & Roppongi Vice vs. the Guerrillas of Destiny & Yujiro Takahashi. Third match on the card at house shows all around Japan... coming to you LIVE on ROH PPV. What a f*cking joke.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

From Kevin Kelly's "View From Ringside" on The Addiction:
At “Death Before Dishonor”, they can lose the titles to either Hiroshi Tanahashi and Michael Elgin or the “Los Ingobernables” team of Tetsuya Naito and Evil without factoring in the decision, which is how they lost the titles in October 2015.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It's the best place to have Yano in all honesty and it does actually get away from ROH having the trouble of loosing to NJPW talent and if the the Addiction come out of that three way victors then that's a pretty big win for them and elevates them and ROH somewhat. Either way I had a feeling we would be seeing a lot of tag matches like this, considering the number of talent. If though the important single matches are ROH orientated I've got no real problem as that's why I'll be buying the PPV.

I have a feeling ROH is really trying to break into the Japanese market much like NJPW trying to break into the American market so we may see ROH trying to have a stronger influence when they visit their in 2017.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

TYFDK wrote:From Kevin Kelly's "View From Ringside" on The Addiction:
At “Death Before Dishonor”, they can lose the titles to either Hiroshi Tanahashi and Michael Elgin or the “Los Ingobernables” team of Tetsuya Naito and Evil without factoring in the decision, which is how they lost the titles in October 2015.
How uninteresting. Also you know this division is in the shitter when I have to look up who "beat" them last year and when because those reigns are just blending in at this point.
I have a feeling ROH is really trying to break into the Japanese market much like NJPW trying to break into the American market so we may see ROH trying to have a stronger influence when they visit their in 2017.
Japan doesn't strike me as a strong market right now.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It really depends on the promotion, Noah has suffered greatly but Dragon Gate is doing very well, DDT I think is starting to gain some real interest and looking at the crowd for the first G1 show I wouldn't say wrestling is in a bad place there. With the American market becoming a stronger influence in Japanese culture both inside and outside of wrestling I think ROH certainly should try and there is no harm in it. They need to get something out of this relationship and in the end a stronger fan base outside of the US will always help a wrestling company grow.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

no? njpw is the best top wrestling romotion in the world today.

they lose nakamura ,aj and anderson and still put amazing shows .
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

monster mafia wrote:no? njpw is the best top wrestling romotion in the world today.

Houses are down, though. Losing those guys definitely hurts them. You can really see it in the G-1.

The idea that ROH is trying to "break in" to the Japanese market in any way independent of NJPW is, of course, nonsense.

I'm thinking Kazuchika Okada d Jay Briscoe on this show.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Burnside wrote:
monster mafia wrote:no? njpw is the best top wrestling romotion in the world today.

Houses are down, though. Losing those guys definitely hurts them. You can really see it in the G-1.

The idea that ROH is trying to "break in" to the Japanese market in any way independent of NJPW is, of course, nonsense.

I'm thinking Kazuchika Okada d Jay Briscoe on this show.

of course losing nakamura and aj hurts njpw..im talking of the wrestling show..the booking and the quiality of matches..and in that njpw are still the best promotion in the world..to close with dragon gate

if roh is gonna make in japan it has to be with njpw

and for the g1...the first show was sold out.

they got hurt but no the way all of us were thinking.