Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I can't believe how lackluster the build is for Lethal/Briscoe II is. Now it's completely overshadowed by The Bullet Club. What should have been an epic rematch is now something no one gives a shit about.

but the new tv episodes are coming and the road to bitw too

come on...
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

STITCHES wrote:That's true. I forgot about Briscoe / Lethal II. :shock:

Bad timing, possibly?
Yes, technically it's "bad timing" that is all a consequence of the decisions made by the booker (specifically doing the Bullet Club angle at this point, and also doing the rematch with barely a month to build Briscoe up because all of his focus was on the world tag team title match he was in at Global Wars).
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

It's like these guys don't have the bandwidth to keep track of major storylines sometimes. Meanwhile, you got this like huge pool of aimless mid-carders. What a weird situation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested in Briscoe / Lethal II and am really enjoying what's going on with Bullet Club. I'm really hoping those dudes keep wrecking shop. I think the company was missing a certain energy that could pretty much only come from BC.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I think it would've helped a lot if there had been some TV build to Jay vs Jay, but we're less than a month away, and except if there's been something on last weekend's episode, the casual fan probably has no idea yet that this match is going to happen
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

jordidebaas wrote:I think it would've helped a lot if there had been some TV build to Jay vs Jay, but we're less than a month away, and except if there's been something on last weekend's episode, the casual fan probably has no idea yet that this match is going to happen
Well the Toronto tapings start from this week and I believe they have build towards to match on each show, plus with the latest Road To's we will probably get more there also.

I think that a month build especially if they do viral videos during weeks leading up to the PPV will be enough. At the moment they are just trying to fill a main event before we have a rather long build towards Final Battle.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

BurningHammer wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:I think it would've helped a lot if there had been some TV build to Jay vs Jay, but we're less than a month away, and except if there's been something on last weekend's episode, the casual fan probably has no idea yet that this match is going to happen
Well the Toronto tapings start from this week and I believe they have build towards to match on each show, plus with the latest Road To's we will probably get more there also.

I think that a month build especially if they do viral videos during weeks leading up to the PPV will be enough. At the moment they are just trying to fill a main event before we have a rather long build towards Final Battle.
Well, they probably won't really post a lot of videos, and going viral is not going to happen with ROH promos. But yeah, you're pretty much spot on with the 'they're just trying to fill a main event', which is another sign of just horrible booking really, if you have 6 PPV's a year, you should never be 'just trying to fill a main event'
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

jordidebaas wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:

Well, they probably won't really post a lot of videos, and going viral is not going to happen with ROH promos. But yeah, you're pretty much spot on with the 'they're just trying to fill a main event', which is another sign of just horrible booking really, if you have 6 PPV's a year, you should never be 'just trying to fill a main event'
The video wouldn't have to shared that much to be considered viral (the deinfition of anyway). Also considering how good the videos were the build up to their previous match I don't see why they couldn't or wouldn't this time. It's something that has been missing this year but they seem to slowly getting their act together again.

I wouldn't say it's horrible booking it's sensible booking considering the circumstances, the awful booking is that there really isn't anyone to challenge yet.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Problem with Lethal right now is that until the faces Kyle there is no real risk from any challenger to win the title, they want to that at their biggest show i think so i can´t complain about that. Jay Briscoe is the best filler they have, they booked him bad leading to the match though.
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

187_Joeism wrote:Problem with Lethal right now is that until the faces Kyle there is no real risk from any challenger to win the title, they want to that at their biggest show i think so i can´t complain about that. Jay Briscoe is the best filler they have, they booked him bad leading to the match though.
then they really need to start getting Kyle some W's on PPV. And if he happens to win BOSJ then hype the bejesus out of that.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

What the heck happened to Jonathan Gresham? I was actually looking forward to his feud with Cedric Alexander but after the Nashville episodes it was forgotten about. Would have been a good feud to pay off at SCOH but neither were on either show that weekend. Surprises me that Cedric wasn't even on the Wrestlecon Supershow as he's one of the Highspots guys.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

At this point, some here are just bitching in order to bitch. Really? We are complaining about the build to Lethal/Briscoe II at the next PPV on JUNE 24th? Yes, the build has been lackluster so far. BECAUSE they haven't had truly NEW TV for awhile. Three weeks of Honor Rising to build up the last PPV, which was a New Japan/ROH combo show. So they showed a recent ROH/New Japan combo show to build it. Booking 101 there, folks. Then they did a show on Colt Cabana, to remind viewers his ROH history before he main evented the last PPV. Then you got a show dedicated to the World Champion. Then a show dedicated to Bullet Club, whom they just did a major angle with at the last PPV. So the TV before the last PPV built up the last PPV, and the two shows since have built up the world champion, and the group that just did a major angle at the last PPV.

The TV tapings where they announced Briscoe/Lethal II are just now starting to air. Did you expect them to build this match up before Lethal fought his last PPV match? Should they have done a TV taping before Global Wars where they basically told all those people in attendance there "Hey, don't bother watching this coming PPV because we're telling you Lethal retains tonight, so he can fight Briscoe at the next PPV"? This was the first TV taping after Global Wars, and it is the TV that will take us up through the PPV. This is exactly when they should build Lethal Briscoe II, and since it hasn't aired, I find it astonishing that some of you seem to know the build is lackluster. Not will be lackluster, but lackluster.

If you are criticizing things based on what you think they did on shows that have not aired yet, maybe it's just time to quit watching for awhile. Because you are bitching about booking just to bitch. It's like a marriage, and I think some of you need to separate for awhile.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

They announced Lethal/Briscoe II before Global Wars, so yeah it was a no-brainer that Lethal would somehow retain. Considering the hype and build for the first match, this is fucking limp in comparison. Just because the booking has been shitty, it doesn't mean I need to step away from the product. I still like a certain portion of the talent perform in the ring. The booking gets in the fucking way, kind of like when you get a splinter in your eyeball.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Does anyone besides me think that Keith Lee could become a ROH main eventer ? Man got all the tools .
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

dhads7161 wrote:What the heck happened to Jonathan Gresham? I was actually looking forward to his feud with Cedric Alexander but after the Nashville episodes it was forgotten about. Would have been a good feud to pay off at SCOH but neither were on either show that weekend. Surprises me that Cedric wasn't even on the Wrestlecon Supershow as he's one of the Highspots guys.
book gresham! book gresham

roh maybe drop the feud because they dont know what to do with cedric but gresham deserves to be back.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:They announced Lethal/Briscoe II before Global Wars, so yeah it was a no-brainer that Lethal would somehow retain. Considering the hype and build for the first match, this is fucking limp in comparison. Just because the booking has been shitty, it doesn't mean I need to step away from the product. I still like a certain portion of the talent perform in the ring. The booking gets in the fucking way, kind of like when you get a splinter in your eyeball.
Going to second this. Just watched ROH TV the other day and enjoyed MCMG vs Addition vs RPG. I loved the build up to the match, the match itself and what it left us with. But as the match is happening, the Young Bucks got brought up a few times with, "Oh, they'd love a shot at the tag titles also." And of course Nigel recently said the Bucks are good for business but got fined for their recent antics. Next thing you know, there's the Young Bucks for the main event, which was really fun. The match itself was a blast, I think, and listening to Matt Taven bag on the Bullet Club just improved the whole match. If they're smart, we'll see Omega vs Taven someday, right?
Anyway, all the elements were there but nobody seemed to put two and two together: make the Young Bucks work their way from the bottom for a title shot. And don't just say that on commentary or during a speech, show these guys coming out and saying, "Hey, where's our shot? We're already the IWGP and PWG champs. Why not ROH, too?" Then have Nigel come out and be like, "Nope. Sorry, you guys lost that opportunity when you superkicked officials and interrupted a main event championship match. This is ROH, you gotta play by the rules and beat literally every tag team in the company before getting any title shot." Now you've got a chance to showcase YB's talent, there's an end goal in sight and it's a credible storyline. Meanwhile, all this heat would build from other teams getting chances and/or title reigns before the best team in the company even gets close (YB saying things like, "Hey, fuck those guys. We beat them every time and now they're the champs but we still have to wrestle Silas and BCB.").
So, yeah, the matches themselves are good, but the storylines / writing could push things in a much more interesting direction. The booking right now creates a large pool of aimless talent and only really highlights a couple of names. After a while, the product gets tired. It's not the wrestlers' fault, it's the booking.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:They announced Lethal/Briscoe II before Global Wars, so yeah it was a no-brainer that Lethal would somehow retain. Considering the hype and build for the first match, this is fucking limp in comparison. Just because the booking has been shitty, it doesn't mean I need to step away from the product. I still like a certain portion of the talent perform in the ring. The booking gets in the fucking way, kind of like when you get a splinter in your eyeball.

Unless you can provide some evidence, I'm afraid I don't believe that opening line, sir. I've checked this site, the ROH site, and google, and can find no announcement of Lethal/Briscoe II as the BITW 2016 main event before Global Wars on May 8th.

Again, it's limp because the new TV just started this past weekend. The used the past TV as a way of hyping the last PPV. Can you name some examples of great hype and build for the next PPV main event before the current one has happened? I'm saying you should step away, because you are now complaining about things before they actually happen. As a wrestling fan since 1982, I don't want Lethal/Briscoe II hyped up BEFORE Lethal/Cabana happens.

This past week's TV was strong. First segment set up a BITW match between ACH and Silas Young, with a good reason for the Young character to dislike the ACH character. Great start to that. Second segment set up the BITW tag title match with a strong match where MCMG (once again) beat Addiction, to set up the idea of a title change there. Classic booking, well done.

During that first segment, they also announced the BITW main event, and let us know clearly that more would be coming on that match in the weeks ahead leading to the PPV. Could it be better hype out of the gate? YEs. But I think it's a bit stretching it so say it is "fucking limp". Due to the importance of that first match, the hype from then still helps out this one. Factor in what they are going to do in the next few weeks before it occurs, and I'm confident it will be better than "fucking limp". Give them a chance to do that before you blast them for not doing it. Come June 24th, if they do nothing more, you've got an argument. But making an argument BEFORE they have a chance to show you anything seems premature to me.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Memphis Mark wrote:Does anyone besides me think that Keith Lee could become a ROH main eventer ? Man got all the tools .
No.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

Im not sure if anyone here watches their videos, but WhatCulture are creating a wrestling promotion called WCPW, What Culture Pro Wrestling, over in the UK. And on one of their first shows Jay Lethal is defending the ROH World Championship vs Noam Dar, who's in the WWE Cruiserweight Classic.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Thelone wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:Does anyone besides me think that Keith Lee could become a ROH main eventer ? Man got all the tools .
No.

Well you are entitled to your own opinion . We shall see in about a year's time.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

WWE Network has all the 2005 Raw's archived featuring the whole Matt Hardy/Edge saga.

Still a great angle that gave ROH early exposure but there was some really gross shit directed at Lita that people should have been ashamed of.