Official Final Battle 2014 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WHG

Re: Official Final Battle 2014 Thread

Post by WHG »

Anyone have any predictions for potential surprises at Final Battle?

Mine is kind of out there, but I could see Austin Aries showing up/returning here. Regardless of the outcome of the Main Event, his motivation could be that being a 2x champion isn't unique anymore and he's back to win it a 3rd time. It could work to close the show if either guy wins.

Aries' contract is definitely up and there really hasn't been any indication if he's re-signing. They have a talent list promoted for the UK tour coming up and he's not on it (nor are the Wolves, but Samoa Joe is). That may not mean anything, but I think there's a possibility this could happen.

The other (less likely) scenario I thought of is Eddie returning and saving Roddy from a Decade beat-down after his match. If the Wolves ARE done with TNA this would be a perfect chance for Eddie to come back and maybe revive the Dojo Bros. in the tag division.

Regardless, I'd imagine they're trying to line up a surprise or 2 and would be interested if anyone else has any in mind?
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Kind of doubting we see any TNA talent now that they've got the new TV deal. Don't get me wrong, no one would pop louder than me for someone like Aries at Final Battle but I don't see it. Honestly, and I don't see this happening either, but a more realistic surprise would be CM Punk showing up.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Tom123

Post by Tom123 »

WHG wrote:The other (less likely) scenario I thought of is Eddie returning and saving Roddy from a Decade beat-down after his match. If the Wolves ARE done with TNA this would be a perfect chance for Eddie to come back and maybe revive the Dojo Bros. in the tag division.

Regardless, I'd imagine they're trying to line up a surprise or 2 and would be interested if anyone else has any in mind?
According to the latest press release, The TNA UK Tour roster has been updated and now includes The Wolves along with a host of UK based talent that appeared on the TNA British Bootcamp tryout's. Probably a good indication that they have or are planning on re-signing with the company.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I think it'll depend a lot on how negotiations go. We kept hearing that TNA wasn't going to sign anyone until they have a new TV Deal, and now that they do, they've probably already started. Will anyone leave? Who knows. Anything could happen. We'll just have to tune in this Sunday to find out.

Also, good news to hear about the iPPV! Unfortunately the fraternity house I'm living at in college has a cable provider that doesn't carry the PPV (Windstream), so I will thankfully be able to watch the show live.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I'd fuckin' pop if Matt Hardy returned on this show. Is it unlikely? IDK. Even if he just came out for an intermission like segment to say, "THE ICON IS BACK", I'd love it. I feel The Kingdom, while good, would have been a ton better with Hardy as the personality/figure head.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Thelone wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:He'll want a rematch.
Yeah, that rematch clause in pro wrestling needs to die in a fire and has become a big pet peeve of mine.
They should have made (honestly still could) an added stipulation that whoever loses Briscoe vs Cole cannot challenge the other one for the World Title ever again. This match is clearly best as a feud ender, and I think such a stipulation would be more than appropriate here. If Cole wins, Briscoe looks weak for either not asking for a rematch or losing in a rematch. If Briscoe wins, I can't see Cole challenging again after a fight without honor; it would be extremely anti-climactic for the feud. With the added stip, whoever lost wouldn't look weak because they would be legally barred from the rematch they want and deserve.

The good thing is that this is the rubber match between them, so maybe they can just end it with that traditional logic.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
Thelone wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:He'll want a rematch.
Yeah, that rematch clause in pro wrestling needs to die in a fire and has become a big pet peeve of mine.
They should have made (honestly still could) an added stipulation that whoever loses Briscoe vs Cole cannot challenge the other one for the World Title ever again. This match is clearly best as a feud ender, and I think such a stipulation would be more than appropriate here. If Cole wins, Briscoe looks weak for either not asking for a rematch or losing in a rematch. If Briscoe wins, I can't see Cole challenging again after a fight without honor; it would be extremely anti-climactic for the feud. With the added stip, whoever lost wouldn't look weak because they would be legally barred from the rematch they want and deserve.

The good thing is that this is the rubber match between them, so maybe they can just end it with that traditional logic.
100% agree with this. I have no doubt Cole wins. He's been mired in this feud for a long time, and this is the perfect venue. Briscoe will not lose any rub dropping the title in a Fight Without Honor. Cole needs to be elevated. I said previously his last title reign was just to keep the seat warm for Elgin. Now that is no longer in the picture, Cole will have the opportunity to shine. At 24 (I might have his age incorrect), Adam Cole is firing on all cylinders. His promo with Papa Briscoe was simple, effective, and managed to get over in less time than the intro to Raw last night.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Mike Adamle wrote:Kind of doubting we see any TNA talent now that they've got the new TV deal. Don't get me wrong, no one would pop louder than me for someone like Aries at Final Battle but I don't see it. Honestly, and I don't see this happening either, but a more realistic surprise would be CM Punk showing up.
With the size of the deal (almost certainly way less $ than Spike) and little if any house show business moving forward, I find it hard to believe they'll re-sign all of the people whose deals were up. Doesn't mean they'll show up in ROH, but the idea that because they ended up still on TV that guys who had good deals before are going to clamor to re-sign is unlikely.

Also, I don't see how in any universe it's more realistic that Punk shows up than an unsigned TNA talent. Whether Aries shows up or not, it's at least 100x more likely than Punk.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:100% agree with this. I have no doubt Cole wins. He's been mired in this feud for a long time, and this is the perfect venue. Briscoe will not lose any rub dropping the title in a Fight Without Honor. Cole needs to be elevated. I said previously his last title reign was just to keep the seat warm for Elgin. Now that is no longer in the picture, Cole will have the opportunity to shine. At 24 (I might have his age incorrect), Adam Cole is firing on all cylinders. His promo with Papa Briscoe was simple, effective, and managed to get over in less time than the intro to Raw last night.
Cole is already a main event player, he doesn't need to be elevated because he's already at the top. They're not going to waste Jay's Samoa Joe-esque streak on a guy who doesn't need it, which is why I think neither Cole or Styles are going to win the title next.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Highly unlikely, but a cool idea I had pop into my head, what if, after reDRagon vs. The Timesplitters, from out of the crowd two hooded individuals run in and attack both teams, they each remove their hoods and reveal themselves to be Team 3D/The Dudleys. From what has been reported neither have TNA contracts and they seem to be doing a small round of facing teams they've never faced before. Start setting up to Team 3D vs. reDRagon at the 13th Anniversary Show and follow on from that with Team 3D vs. reDRagon vs. The Young Bucks at SCOH. Then when the joint shows with NJPW roll around, most likely in the summer, have them face Bullet Club. There are a ton of other options available too.

Again, all that is highly unlikely for a variety of reasons but I personally think It'd be cool.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Thelone wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:100% agree with this. I have no doubt Cole wins. He's been mired in this feud for a long time, and this is the perfect venue. Briscoe will not lose any rub dropping the title in a Fight Without Honor. Cole needs to be elevated. I said previously his last title reign was just to keep the seat warm for Elgin. Now that is no longer in the picture, Cole will have the opportunity to shine. At 24 (I might have his age incorrect), Adam Cole is firing on all cylinders. His promo with Papa Briscoe was simple, effective, and managed to get over in less time than the intro to Raw last night.
Cole is already a main event player, he doesn't need to be elevated because he's already at the top. They're not going to waste Jay's Samoa Joe-esque streak on a guy who doesn't need it, which is why I think neither Cole or Styles are going to win the title next.
Cole wasn't given the chance to run with the belt. Everyone knew that after the Briscoe feud, he would drop the title to Elgin. I'd like to see Cole run with the title again as I feel there was untapped potential with him as champion. You make a valid counterpoint, who, in your opinion should be next champ?
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Briscoe should make a big deal about the Kingdom being in Japan and no one will be there to save Cole, while Cole remains cool and confident promising to have a couple tricks up his sleeve. During the main event Matt Hardy runs in to try and take out Jay. Mark hits the ring and chases off Hardy before he cause too much damage.

Also, I would absolutely love a short Dudley run in ROH. Briscoes vs Dudleys would need to happen for sure.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Will be interesting to see how the Pick 'Ems shake out, but I get the sense there's a real split on who people think is going to win the Main Event...that unpredictability is probably the best thing about Briscoe getting a second reign. It's awesome (and increasingly rare in any promotion) going into a big show with a main event where the winner isn't obvious.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

WHG wrote:Will be interesting to see how the Pick 'Ems shake out, but I get the sense there's a real split on who people think is going to win the Main Event...that unpredictability is probably the best thing about Briscoe getting a second reign. It's awesome (and increasingly rare in any promotion) going into a big show with a main event where the winner isn't obvious.
I'll be updating the standings (just to know where everyone stands) and posting the Pick 'Ems tomorrow.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

Daniels talks Final Battle and comics.
http://marvel.com/news/comics/23744/cat ... _in_marvel
MrSaturn

Post by MrSaturn »

For anybody that went to the PCW/ROH shows, did the Ciampa vs Briscoe match feel like a blow off to their TV angle? I thought that it was super weird that they would start an angle right before Final Battle, but it was even weirder to have their match on a joint show in England.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Tom123 wrote:According to the latest press release, The TNA UK Tour roster has been updated and now includes The Wolves along with a host of UK based talent that appeared on the TNA British Bootcamp tryout's. Probably a good indication that they have or are planning on re-signing with the company.
If they adopt the ROH model, they could have a lot of unsigned talent or at least with a non-exclusive contract, so the situation where TNA "stole" ROH talents could happen in favor of ROH.
ImageImage
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Matt Hardy returning would be cool! He isn´t the best wrestler but as a character inside The Kingdom is good. The only thing I don´t like about a possible Matt return would be his presence in the Main Event, Matt Hardy comming to help Cole and Mark comming for Jay would be too much the same we have seen in the past, like in SuperCard Of Honor.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

AssShooter wrote:
Cole is really good here. Good angle in general; should have aired on TV this past weekend.

Again, they need to stop with those red Burger King shirts for Bennett and Cole. They're very low-rent looking.

It's amazing how "I'm going to make you my bitch" will still get a GUARANTEED "oh, snap" reaction from a live wrestling crowd every time. I guess file that in the "referee ejects heel manager" category as a can't-miss spot.

When I saw the white shirt I thought for sure that Papa Briscoe would blade, but sadly no.

Announcers were bad here. Corino is awful. Kelly is mediocre, but he ups his game when he's with Nigel.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Burnside wrote:
AssShooter wrote:
Cole is really good here. Good angle in general; should have aired on TV this past weekend.

Again, they need to stop with those red Burger King shirts for Bennett and Cole. They're very low-rent looking.

It's amazing how "I'm going to make you my bitch" will still get a GUARANTEED "oh, snap" reaction from a live wrestling crowd every time. I guess file that in the "referee ejects heel manager" category as a can't-miss spot.

When I saw the white shirt I thought for sure that Papa Briscoe would blade, but sadly no.

Announcers were bad here. Corino is awful. Kelly is mediocre, but he ups his game when he's with Nigel.
Your omission of Taven makes me believe you like him in the red Burger King shirt though.