ROH history's biggest rivalries

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BlackLesnar

ROH history's biggest rivalries

Post by BlackLesnar »

Title says it all. Bryan & Nigel, Steen & Generico, what else would we add?

However, keep in mind that I mean rivalries, not feuds. Something long-lived and deep-rooted. For example, Joe vs Punk was a short, sweet 3-match series. It was a feud. Joe vs Homicide was a storied war that lasted from 2002 all the way to Joe's final match in 2007, incorporating Punk, Bryan, The Briscoes, The Prophecy, Lethal & Low Ki, Morishima and Kenta Kobashi along the way. THAT'S a rivalry.

So, which other loyal dance partners from ROH legend can we pin down?
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Ladrao12

Re: ROH history's biggest rivalries

Post by Ladrao12 »

Davey Richards vs. Eddie Edwards
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Ladrao12 wrote:Davey Richards vs. Eddie Edwards
I've been thinking about that one. I actually think that Davey's rival is Strong, and vice versa. They've got a lot more history, match experience & bad blood than Eddie and Davey do. I'm not certain, but I also think that Strong now has more match history with Davey than he ever had with Aries or Tyler. Plus Strong vs Stevens lasted a year, got a definite conclusion & was rarely brought up again, it felt more like a feud.

That stance does leave Eddie high and dry, though. I can think of a few candidates, but nothing sustained.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

homicide and colt cabana from back in the day was good
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

Jimmy Jacobs vs BJ Whitmer, ROH vs CZW, and Generation Next vs The Embassy to add a few.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Wolves vs. Briscoes perhaps?
This is probably more of a feud, but I think the majority of the rivalries are obvious so I'll give this one a little love anyway - Briscoes vs. ANX - It had a defined beginning and end, but the story they told was top notch and their matches were pretty good too (although it was a shame that Ladder War III felt kind of rushed and anticlimactic - they're street fight was better, I think).
isles11

Post by isles11 »

Aries vs Jacobs
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

donkitrk99 wrote:Wolves vs. Briscoes perhaps?
This is probably more of a feud, but I think the majority of the rivalries are obvious so I'll give this one a little love anyway - Briscoes vs. ANX - It had a defined beginning and end, but the story they told was top notch and their matches were pretty good too (although it was a shame that Ladder War III felt kind of rushed and anticlimactic - they're street fight was better, I think).
Yeah, the Briscoes are a hard one. They've been around so long, and no-one else lasts. ANX might be the longest-lasting team besides them and were having matches with the Briscoes from the very start, so that makes sense. The Wolves & the Kings too, since they both reformed after splitting & fought the Briscoes some more.
Thinking about it now, Steenerico has a really, really good case; they weren't around as long as ANX, but they were the foundation of the Briscoes' best tag title run, and continued to shape the Briscoes careers long after they'd split up themselves.
isles11 wrote:Aries vs Jacobs
I agree with Fawrules, Jacobs and Whitmer had more history. Even Whitmer's retirement incorporated Jimmy. However, Aries feud with Jacobs is what got Aries to start wrestling Tyler, and spared off their 3 year rivalry. I'm pretty sure they wrestled each other more than anyone else, and it kept going right up until they both left ROH.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Ok, so I might be confusing rivalries and feuds, but here's some not mentioned that come to mind.
Bryan Danielson vs Takeshi Morishima
CM Punk vs Raven
The Prophecy vs Second City Saints

The one's already listed by you guys are great. And I agree that the Briscoes have had tons of classic feuds.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

If anyone is Morishima's rival it's definitely Danielson. And Prophecy-Saints made sense, it cascaded across all 3 of Daniels' ROH runs.

Punk vs Raven has a distinct beginning & end, even moreso that Punk vs Joe. I dunno. It might be a controversial thing to suggest, but what do people think about the idea Punk's main ROH rival being Cabana? He was his first opponent in ROH, his last opponent in ROH, they played a lot of one-ups-manship with one-another (like seeing who could dethrone Aries first)... a rivalry's defined by how much the 2 participants' careers intertwine, they can still be friendly & professional.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

Danielson vs KENTA
Danielson vs Morishima
Danielson vs Aries
McGuinness vs Black
McGuinness vs Cabana
Delirious vs Sydal
Shelley vs Lethal
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Danielson vs. McGuinness would be the top rivalry.

ROH vs. CZW would be the top feud.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Strong vs. Stevens and Jacobs vs. Whitmer are two of the best feuds in company history.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Qt vs the internet
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

Steenerico vs. Briscoes
Steenerico vs. Wolves
Danielson vs. Morishima
Danielson vs. McGuinness
Joe vs. Punk
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
Scottanized

Post by Scottanized »

Joe Koff vs. The Fans
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Who would Daniels' definitive rival be, if anyone? Low Ki? Styles? Claudio?
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

BlackLesnar wrote:Who would Daniels' definitive rival be, if anyone? Low Ki? Styles? Claudio?
If you include things that happen outside of ROH (and the things that do happen within ROH, of course) its obviously Styles. They did only have two singles matches in ROH, though... the tag title matches count for something too, of course... and they were involved in a few multi man matches
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

BlackLesnar wrote:Who would Daniels' definitive rival be, if anyone? Low Ki? Styles? Claudio?
In ROH I'd definitely say Joe
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
boourns

Post by boourns »

Daniels vs. ROH/Code of Honor? Does that count?

Rottweilers/Homicide vs. Samoa Joe I enjoyed.

Punk vs. Jimmy Rave was great as well.