Is Tomasso Ciampa the most underrated guy in ROH?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
syxxpakk

Is Tomasso Ciampa the most underrated guy in ROH?

Post by syxxpakk »

I think so. He's had a series of good to really good matches this year, in my estimation. He's not yet had an outright classic, but then he's not been paired off with many guys besides Jay Lethal. His squash matches are always good, IMO, and he delivers on promos.

I would honestly say I feel like he's on the same level as Michael Elgin and Adam Cole, but he's just not getting the same push.

What do you think?
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Is Tomasso Ciampa the most underrated guy in ROH?

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

He's good but I wouldn't say he's as good in the ring as Elgin and Cole. I enjoy his character and promos but I feel he needs to have a few great matches before he can really progress.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Said this 8-12 months ago....still agree that he is vastly underated by the majority but many are starting to see if finally

Very underated but not as good as Cole or Elgin
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Not too over on him, in the ring or on a microphone, he's a solid midcard heel though, I can give him that much. As already stated, wouldn't rate him as highly as Adam or Elgin, but better to have someone who is solid in the position they have than someone average undeserving of the spot. Young too, so he has plenty of room to improve.
Someguy

Post by Someguy »

I think he's further along as a character than Elgin or ROH's Cole(Cole's CZW character is fantastic but I think ROH has enough heels right now)...but in the ring I don't think he's fantastic.

Ciampa too often will have a mediocre outing, I think he fits snugly in the mid-card.
El Generico- The only person to ever make it across the US border by pretending he IS Mexican.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

Yessir, been a fan of his since his match with Colt at BITW 11.

One of his greatest assets that isn't being mentioned, he has a great menacing look for a guy his size. I've also always gotten a kick out of his suplex out of the ropes.
astoph

Post by astoph »

Someguy wrote:I think he's further along as a character than Elgin or ROH's Cole(Cole's CZW character is fantastic but I think ROH has enough heels right now)...but in the ring I don't think he's fantastic.

Ciampa too often will have a mediocre outing, I think he fits snugly in the mid-card.
I feel the same way. Ciampa is consistently improving though. Elgin is seriously lacking in character but I think ROH is gonna be picking that up soon. Cole might be the best thing they have right now though, even if his character could use some work.
jackalope3

Post by jackalope3 »

I like Ciampa and thinks he's steadily improving. I just hope we will soon see him feuding with someone besides Jay Lethal.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I agree with syxxpakk i think that Ciampa is the most improve wrestler of this year in ROH with Bennett, he just find himself with his new gimmick, only good things will come from him in the future.
SeanWrestling

Post by SeanWrestling »

I've been saying this for a year now.Everybody likes to suck Michael Elgin off, but I've always been more impressed with Ciampa.I think he shows more intensity than Elgin, has more explosive looking moves, is better on the mic, and has a better look.I think the only thing Elgin has going for him is his multi-man moves, which any power guy can do really.
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

SeanWrestling wrote:I've been saying this for a year now.Everybody likes to suck Michael Elgin off, but I've always been more impressed with Ciampa.I think he shows more intensity than Elgin, has more explosive looking moves, is better on the mic, and has a better look.I think the only thing Elgin has going for him is his multi-man moves, which any power guy can do really.
...and a 5 star match :mrgreen:
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Been saying since the SBG show started how Ciampa's improved drastically. In his first few months the only thing interesting about him was his finisher and he was so bland he only had the same fixed facial expression in his matches. Some tried to justify this boring-ness as "he's an ice-cold killer", but that only became true once ROH started acknowledging that he started putting some effort and excitement in.

Now he's one of my favourites on the roster.
Last Real Man Hype
Someguy

Post by Someguy »

BalzOfHonor wrote:
SeanWrestling wrote:I've been saying this for a year now.Everybody likes to suck Michael Elgin off, but I've always been more impressed with Ciampa.I think he shows more intensity than Elgin, has more explosive looking moves, is better on the mic, and has a better look.I think the only thing Elgin has going for him is his multi-man moves, which any power guy can do really.
...and a 5 star match :mrgreen:
While I liked that match, I didn't think it was five star caliber...but again people say that about every vie star match.
El Generico- The only person to ever make it across the US border by pretending he IS Mexican.
Chaosphere

Post by Chaosphere »

I don't think you can really compare Cole & Elgin with Ciampa because they've had WAY better opportunities.

Just look at the talent they have worked against in comparison to Ciampa!

I think Ciampa's probably not getting better, he's just now getting to face some higher class opponents and isn't wrestling Jay fecking Lethal every week plus he's getting a better chance to shine!
ROH Fan 81

Post by ROH Fan 81 »

I think given the same opportunities he would be in the same boat as Elgin and Cole. I think he along with the other 2 are the furture of the company(assuming they don't get signed). I'd like to see him in a program against some top tier talent(not Jay Lethal).
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

I keep wanting to like Ciampa. But then I see his matches and just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He has the move set and he has the character but I've just never seen him have a match that I would ever want to watch again. Someone needs to help him structuring his matches.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

The fans that don´t like Ciampa, What do you find bad/boring about him and the way he wrestle?
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I think right now he's better than at the beginning of this year and earlier. But I wouldn't say he's the future of ROH, because this status I have for Michael Elgin ;)
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

KL_ wrote:I think right now he's better than at the beginning of this year and earlier. But I wouldn't say he's the future of ROH, because this status I have for Michael Elgin ;)
I'm a big supporter of Ciampa. I probably appreciate him more than most here, but the one thing I can point out on Ciampa that needs work is that his matches don't tell a story. He does great moves, has physical charisma and looks tremendous, but what made Elgin vs. Richards a classic was that while it was a great match, it told a story about Elgin's big chance after spending nearly a decade wrestling and this was his first match that could make him big and it showed to the crowd because the crowd believed in him. There was a story taking place, with Ciampa, I don't feel the story as much as I could if given more diverse opportunities.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

187_Joeism wrote:The fans that don´t like Ciampa, What do you find bad/boring about him and the way he wrestle?
Every single match he has is just too damn slow. And the fact that he usually only wrestles the same few guys 20 times and has slow, plodding matches with them EVERY time doesn't help. I'd like to see him face higher up guys but not just play dominant heel the entire match. His matches need more back and forth between wrestlers.