Global Wars 2017 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by famicommander » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Omega is one guy I could see staying with NJPW long term. He's already a top guy there, he's got access to probably as many ROH/CMLL/PWG/UK bookings as he wants, he actually lives in Japan and speaks Japanese fluently, and NJPW is clearly on the rise right now while WWE is clearly on the decline. Of course the disparity between them is still very large in terms of overall size, but I get the feeling Vince would have to fork over Lesnar/Cena money to pry Kenny away from NJPW. Omega has a chance to be the guy that truly elevates NJPW to mainstream prominence. He is in a unique position because he has all the tools to be a top guy in an American promotion AND a Japanese promotion. He can cut great promos in two languages and he can work pretty much any style of match and get it over.

Okada already makes as much as all but the very top tier in WWE, according to Meltzer. NJPW needs to pay Omega like they do Okada.

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:37 pm

famicommander wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:51 pm
Omega is one guy I could see staying with NJPW long term. He's already a top guy there, he's got access to probably as many ROH/CMLL/PWG/UK bookings as he wants, he actually lives in Japan and speaks Japanese fluently, and NJPW is clearly on the rise right now while WWE is clearly on the decline. Of course the disparity between them is still very large in terms of overall size, but I get the feeling Vince would have to fork over Lesnar/Cena money to pry Kenny away from NJPW. Omega has a chance to be the guy that truly elevates NJPW to mainstream prominence. He is in a unique position because he has all the tools to be a top guy in an American promotion AND a Japanese promotion. He can cut great promos in two languages and he can work pretty much any style of match and get it over.

Okada already makes as much as all but the very top tier in WWE, according to Meltzer. NJPW needs to pay Omega like they do Okada.
All of this. If Omega wants to be a top star in an American promotion, he'll ask for more ROH dates and ROH will be more than glad to have him as their champion. If New Japan is willing to pony up the money, he pretty much has nothing to gain by going to WWE and everything to lose.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:09 am

The idea of Kenny Omega in the WWE is nauseating.

User avatar
supersonic
Posts: 5810
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 pm
Location: Edgar Martinez Dr S
Contact:

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by supersonic » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am

Should it be assumed that Omega's match won't be announced after his obvious defense on Destruction weekend?

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:14 am

supersonic wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am
Should it be assumed that Omega's match won't be announced after his obvious defense on Destruction weekend?
That would be my assumption.

User avatar
supersonic
Posts: 5810
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 pm
Location: Edgar Martinez Dr S
Contact:

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by supersonic » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 am

Omega is defending the US Title next month against Juice Robinson. The only other ready-made challenger stemming from G-1 is Elgin, who fucked off last year.

Do we see Elgin returning to face Omega in Chicago since it's NJPW-related? A different challenger assuming Omega is still US Champion? Or does Omega do something different, perhaps an Elite trios match?

User avatar
Wilson
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Location: US Northeast

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Wilson » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:17 am

supersonic wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 am
Omega is defending the US Title next month against Juice Robinson. The only other ready-made challenger stemming from G-1 is Elgin, who fucked off last year.

Do we see Elgin returning to face Omega in Chicago since it's NJPW-related? A different challenger assuming Omega is still US Champion? Or does Omega do something different, perhaps an Elite trios match?
With ROH’s premature copy already out so is the genie, of which would be too caustic to try putting back in the bottle, especially for a show this size. Intuition tells me that if Elgin really persisted not to participate in this big title defense because it was in Sinclairland, then I don’t think he would’ve been given the fall over Kenny during the G1. However, if not Elgin, there’s still a slew of uncommitted New Japan talent that could work nearly as well: Goto, Ospreay, SANADA, Hiromu, YOSHI-HASHI, a rematch against Juice, and even Cody.

famicommander
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by famicommander » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:13 pm

I would love to see Goto vs Omega.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Omega vs. Ospreay would be awesome.

User avatar
cgstong
Admin
Admin
Posts: 699
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:00 am
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by cgstong » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm

PW Torch is reporting almost all of the Suzuki Gun faction will be on the tour. Obviously Sabre is not given his contract status to WWNLive.

http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2017/08/23/ ... -analysis/
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:48 am

Please tell me that "nearly all members of Suzuki-Gun" means we're getting Suzuki, K.E.S., El Desperado, and Kanemaru, and not Iizuka and Taichi.

famicommander
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by famicommander » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 am

KES is probably a given considering ROH booked Smith solo a few times.

User avatar
Wilson
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Location: US Northeast

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Wilson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Suzuki-gun might be nice for exactly one tour. Anything else would concern me as another NOAH-esque derailing.

User avatar
The Dragon Saga
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 11:06 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by The Dragon Saga » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Whatever has Minoru Suzuki in ROH the most is fine by me.
Image

dhads7161
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:23 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by dhads7161 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:01 am

Hell gimme Briscoes & Bully vs. Suzuki & KES
We get Jay vs. Suzuki and Briscoes vs. KES in one match...and Bully is there too.

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Wilson wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:41 pm
Suzuki-gun might be nice for exactly one tour. Anything else would concern me as another NOAH-esque derailing.
I thought Suzuki-Gun in NOAH was great.

User avatar
Wilson
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Location: US Northeast

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Wilson » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:48 am

Do you mean, like, you enjoyed some of Minoru’s defenses? Because you liking the majority of the Suzuki-gun booking is the most un-Big Red Machine thing I can imagine.

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:18 am

Wilson wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:48 am
Do you mean, like, you enjoyed some of Minoru’s defenses? Because you liking the majority of the Suzuki-gun booking is the most un-Big Red Machine thing I can imagine.
Well... it mostly Suzuki and Taichi and K.E.S. I enjoyed, but I also did dig the entire concept. It was nice to see an invasion that is done well and doesn't overstay its welcome.

User avatar
AlexROH
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:41 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by AlexROH » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Mark Haskins will be wrestling for AAW in Chicago on October the 13th and the 14th. So, will we see him at any date of the Global Wars tour? Maybe he could do the Omega show in Chicago (10/15).

TYFDK
Posts: 3128
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Global Wars 2017 Thread

Post by TYFDK » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:56 pm

AlexROH wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:38 pm
Mark Haskins will be wrestling for AAW in Chicago on October the 13th and the 14th. So, will we see him at any date of the Global Wars tour? Maybe he could do the Omega show in Chicago (10/15).
I sure hope so!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest