AEW Discussion

Discuss AEW Here! Lots of stuff going on. Live watch threads & more!
Montana

AEW Discussion

Post by Montana »

At this point, this is just mainly rumors and speculation. But here are the facts we know:

Based on the trademarks filed November 5th, the new promotion will be known as All Elite Wrestling (AEW). All Elite Wrestling, LLC is based out of Jacksonville, Florida with the same address as TIAA Bank Field, the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars are owned by the Khan family, co-owner Tony Khan heavily involved in AEW’s formation. The company also owns AllEliteWrestling.com.

The trademarks held by AEW’s parent company include:

All Elite Wrestling and AEW
Tuesday Night Dynamite
AEW Double Or Nothing
AEW All Out

At this point, it looks like Rhodes, Young Bucks, Hangman Page and SCU would depart ROH to kick off this new company.

My thoughts...it's an interesting gamble by these guys. On one hand, i can see them running a successful indy program, however my concern is that they'd try to get too big too quick. (a la TNA) What do they think they can do that ROH can't? Or do they just want more control? Selling out 10K seats one time for a special event, is one thing. But to consistently draw week after week is another. If they don't get a major TV deal, it could be a lot of money spent with little/no return. Still lots of questions out there.. and i imagine as the months go by we will get more info. WIth a crowded indy wrestling space, and a bloated WWE roster it will be interesting to see who else would jump on board.

Thoughts?
Memphis Mark

Re: AEW Discussion

Post by Memphis Mark »

The AEW deal is not a big risk because of the backing of the Khan family. Mr. Khan knows that it will take several years for this company to break even. As long as the Khan's keep injecting working capital into the project it will all be good.

The big issue is getting a roster. It appears that Marty Scrull is taking with ROH for a while longer. So the givens would be Cody Rhodes , The Bucks, Adam Page and the 3 SCU members. Who are the difference makers that are available ?

Of course , Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi are game changers. PAC would be another big money draw . The 4 NJPW defectors : AJ Styles , Karl Anderson , Doc Gallows and Shinsuke Nakamura would be available. The Khan's are loaded so they could beat any WWE offer.

The downside is that ROH and NJPW have joined the WWE/ NXT in locking up free agents. I don't how many big money deals the AEW would be willing deal out to top talent . So we shall see.

This deal has caused SBGI to get serious about signing new talent. Now , Jeff Cobb , Will Ospreay , Zack Sabre , JR. , Juice Robinson , PCO , Brodie King , Mark Haskins , PJ Black , Luchsarsus , Chuck Taylor and Trent appear to be all in the ROH camp. Of course all NJPW and CMLL guys should be off the table . So who knows how the roster fill out

On the other hand this whole AWE promotion could be a giant work . Everyone could be working together behind the curtain . I guess we will all find out in a few weeks.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

New GFW coming?
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Honestly if and this is all theoretical if they sign Cody, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Hangman Page, Pac, Kota Ibushi, Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky that is a pretty stacked line up right there. A great foundation for competing against Vince.

Next month Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson, Luke Gallows and AJ Styles' contracts come up. I don't see Anderson and Gallows staying, they'd benefit from leaving. Shit they could go back to New Japan and feud with GOD over the Bullet Club name and the tag straps let alone sign to a start up company.

Nakamura has said in an interview recently that him moving his family to the states and then packing them up and leaving 3 years later is unlikely, I don't think he signs with New Japan, but if AEW is a thing and they plan on pushing him as a top star then why not sign with them. He's kinda just there on the WWE roster anyway.

AJ I don't see leaving the WWE, unless they won't give him the Randy Orton deal where he gets more time off and doesn't work as many house shows. It's reported AJ is burnt out a touch, that's why he wanted to drop the Championship and why he wasn't on Survivor Series. If Khan presents a deal that matches or is more then the WWE is offering plus less dates and more time at home Why wouldn't AJ sign with them.

Spend "big money" on Cody, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Hangman Page, Pac, Kota Ibushi, Shinsuke Nakamura, AJ Styles, Anderson and Gallows and you got yourself a ball game.

Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky are all great additions, they can all wrestle and have name value. I wouldn't spend big money on them but I'd spend money on them.

I'd also try to sign Joey Ryan, MJF, Brian Pillman Jr and Filthy Tom Lawlor. I don't know who the top women are tag teams are on the indie scene but I'd start signing people. Take the Eric Bischoff approach and sign a lot of lesser known talent to lower 6 figure deals and fill out my mid to lower card that way.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Memphis Mark wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:36 pm The AEW deal is not a big risk because of the backing of the Khan family. Mr. Khan knows that it will take several years for this company to break even. As long as the Khan's keep injecting working capital into the project it will all be good.

The big issue is getting a roster. It appears that Marty Scrull is taking with ROH for a while longer. So the givens would be Cody Rhodes , The Bucks, Adam Page and the 3 SCU members. Who are the difference makers that are available ?

Of course , Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi are game changers. PAC would be another big money draw . The 4 NJPW defectors : AJ Styles , Karl Anderson , Doc Gallows and Shinsuke Nakamura would be available. The Khan's are loaded so they could beat any WWE offer.

The downside is that ROH and NJPW have joined the WWE/ NXT in locking up free agents. I don't how many big money deals the AEW would be willing deal out to top talent . So we shall see.

This deal has caused SBGI to get serious about signing new talent. Now , Jeff Cobb , Will Ospreay , Zack Sabre , JR. , Juice Robinson , PCO , Brodie King , Mark Haskins , PJ Black , Luchsarsus , Chuck Taylor and Trent appear to be all in the ROH camp. Of course all NJPW and CMLL guys should be off the table . So who knows how the roster fill out

On the other hand this whole AWE promotion could be a giant work . Everyone could be working together behind the curtain . I guess we will all find out in a few weeks.
I think it's a little more complicated than just having the financial backing. I really think they'd need to start small and grow over the upcoming years. Which major cable network is going to give a prime-time television spot, to a relative unknown wrestling company. Impact/ROH/NJPW/LU/MLW/ all produce a solid wrestliing product, but none get major distribution. Cody & YB may not like it, but I think they need the platform of ROH & NJPW.

I think a lot of the stars need to align for it to really work. Assuming they a decent TV spot, they still need someone to book the shows, and someone to run the company. Sure Cody & YB can do some of that, but if they are going to start recording weekly television, it will be difficult to keep up with everything. Then you have to balance wrestling and entertainment.

The other concern is the roster. Sure if they get AJ/PAC/OMega/ Jericho they'd be fine... I'm not convinced that everyone is going to jump ship to a new company, especially guys like AJ and Omega. Pac and Omega would be great, but what would make Elite more appealing than NJPW at this point?? Even someone like Hangman Page... we all "think" he'd go with the Elite, but is that REALLY what's best for his career? I'm sure WWE made a nice offer, and i'm sure ROH would love to resign him too, with a excellent position with the company. I'm guessing the core elite guys aren't taking big paydays to help the company get off the ground, and assuming Page & guys like Scrull have not made as much in their career.

This is all speculation at this point, and good discussion, but i could see this potentially not working out as good as they may have hoped. I will say that this is a very interesting time for WWE/ROH/NJPW and the potential for an Elite wrestling company.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

The Khan 's will be willing to lose money for several years to build the brand. The key is that Khan has the capital to secure both talent and TV time . Wrestlers are always interested in more money and less dates , Kevin Nash and Scott Hall are the poster boys for big money deals and less ring time.

The losses from the wrestling business will provide a nice tax write off for Khan. So it is really not that complex , when you have a solid business plan combined with adequate working capital and are willing to invest , all things are possible in the long run. If you have capital and are risk averse , like Sinclair , growth comes at a snail's pace. However , ROH is profitable so SBGI 's slow growth strategy is not without some merit.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

WebConn wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 am Honestly if and this is all theoretical if they sign Cody, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Hangman Page, Pac, Kota Ibushi, Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky that is a pretty stacked line up right there. A great foundation for competing against Vince.

Next month Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson, Luke Gallows and AJ Styles' contracts come up. I don't see Anderson and Gallows staying, they'd benefit from leaving. Shit they could go back to New Japan and feud with GOD over the Bullet Club name and the tag straps let alone sign to a start up company.

Nakamura has said in an interview recently that him moving his family to the states and then packing them up and leaving 3 years later is unlikely, I don't think he signs with New Japan, but if AEW is a thing and they plan on pushing him as a top star then why not sign with them. He's kinda just there on the WWE roster anyway.

AJ I don't see leaving the WWE, unless they won't give him the Randy Orton deal where he gets more time off and doesn't work as many house shows. It's reported AJ is burnt out a touch, that's why he wanted to drop the Championship and why he wasn't on Survivor Series. If Khan presents a deal that matches or is more then the WWE is offering plus less dates and more time at home Why wouldn't AJ sign with them.

Spend "big money" on Cody, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Hangman Page, Pac, Kota Ibushi, Shinsuke Nakamura, AJ Styles, Anderson and Gallows and you got yourself a ball game.

Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky are all great additions, they can all wrestle and have name value. I wouldn't spend big money on them but I'd spend money on them.

I'd also try to sign Joey Ryan, MJF, Brian Pillman Jr and Filthy Tom Lawlor. I don't know who the top women are tag teams are on the indie scene but I'd start signing people. Take the Eric Bischoff approach and sign a lot of lesser known talent to lower 6 figure deals and fill out my mid to lower card that way.
MJF, Brian Pillman Jr and Filthy Tom are all signed with MLW. Joey Ryan is signed with Lucha Underground. They only way AEW would have access to some of these guys is through working relationships. If I'm ROH, Impact, MLW or LU I'm sure I would want to work with AEW given that There's the same goals and AEW could and up beating them to the punch on certain things.

If there are no working relationships then not only does AEW have to contend with WWE trying to sign everybody, but also at least four other places that has wrestlers under contract as well.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

I think that Court Bauer , Don Callis and Scott D' Amore have been around the block a few times . Those 3 guys know the business . I don't know about ROH . Joe Koff is a sales executive and Greg the office boy is an accountant , not really career wrestling people . ROH really needs someone that has a stronger wrestling background making creative decisions . No, Delirious is not that guy. BJ Whitmer ? Colt Cabana ? Bubba Dudley ? Lance Storm ? Bill Behrens ? Someone else ?
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

So has anyone heard rumors about what this promotion is even going to look like, schedule wise? Everyone seems to be saying that they aren't going to work with ROH & NJPW, which seems insane to me, but I'll take it at face value. So is the "promotion" in name only for trademark purposes or whatever, and they are just going to run a couple All In type shows per year while working NEW shows or whatever in between? Are they going to run themselves like a major promotion with a full touring schedule and "TV" (whether that is on YouTube or whatever) out of the gate? Or something in between (maybe a weekly TV show building to two or four super shows, maybe running one show per month like they are what PWG with ambition would look like, etc.).
Montana

Post by Montana »

So far it looks like AEW has the following talent signed:

Confirmed:
Cody
Young Bucks
Hangman Page
Britt Baker

All but signed
Christopher Daniels
Kaz
Scorpio Sky

High Probability.... but most under contract for now

Kenny Omega - Biggest Free agent today... sounds like 50/50 on AEW or WWE.
Pentagon & Fenix - Sounds like AEW is going hard to set up working relationship with MLW.
Flip Gordon - Waiting for their ROH contract to expire. I believe end of 2019
Marty Scrull - Waiting for ROH contract to expire . I believe April 2019
Joey Janela
Marko Stunt
Matt Cross
MJF
Rey Horus
Revival
Good Brothers
Zach Ryder
Jimmy Jacobs
Billy Gunn
Austin Gunn
Tessa Blanchard

Medium - Low Probability

Angelico
Aussie Open
Austin Aries
Big Cass
Chris Brooks
David Starr
Ilja Dragunov
Shane Stricland
Tim Thatcher
Tom Lawlor
Trevor Lee
DJZ

Other/Wildcards

Goldberg - I get he's got the same agent as some of these guys, but man could he F up the product.
Jericho - Key signing that could help secure a good TV deal
AJ Styles - Not going to happen
Enzo - Highly unlikely , but never say never
Dolph - slim chance, but could happen
CM Punk - Very unlikely , but technically theres a chance
Ceasaro - slim chance, but never know.

Personally i think AEW was really hoping NJPW and/or ROH would help that as partners to get off the ground. I think AEW might have a hard time booking big US names, for the May double or nothing show. I could see them maybe working with MLW in the short term, to use some of their talent in an exchange. Or potentially we see a lot of European and Mexican talent on the show.

Should know more tomorrow after the press conference.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Montana wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:06 pm So far it looks like AEW has the following talent signed:

Confirmed:
Cody
Young Bucks
Hangman Page

All but signed
Christopher Daniels
Kaz
Scorpio Sky

High Probability.... but most under contract for now

Kenny Omega - Biggest Free agent today... sounds like 50/50 on AEW or WWE.
Pentagon & Fenix - Sounds like AEW is going hard to set up working relationship with MLW.
Flip Gordon - Waiting for their ROH contract to expire. I believe end of 2019
Marty Scrull - Waiting for ROH contract to expire . I believe April 2019
Joey Janela
Marko Stunt
Matt Cross
MJF
Rey Horus
Revival
Good Brothers
Zach Ryder
Jimmy Jacobs
Billy Gunn

Medium - Low Probability

Angelico
Aussie Open
Austin Aries
Big Cass
Chris Brooks
David Starr
Ilja Dragunov
Shane Stricland
Tim Thatcher
Tom Lawlor
Trevor Lee
DJZ

Other/Wildcards

Goldberg - I get he's got the same agent as some of these guys, but man could he F up the product.
Jericho - Key signing that could help secure a good TV deal
AJ Styles - Not going to happen
Enzo - Highly unlikely , but never say never
Dolph - slim chance, but could happen
CM Punk - Very unlikely , but technically theres a chance
Ceasaro - slim chance, but never know.

Personally i think AEW was really hoping NJPW and/or ROH would help that as partners to get off the ground. I think AEW might have a hard time booking big US names, for the May double or nothing show. I could see them maybe working with MLW in the short term, to use some of their talent in an exchange. Or potentially we see a lot of European and Mexican talent on the show.

Should know more tomorrow after the press conference.

Flip Gordon is just starting a new 2 year deal with ROH . Marty Scrull is not a done deal . Marty can be the top guy in ROH , who knows how much of raise he will get in he stays with ROH . Marty will always work under Cody and the Bucks in the Elite . History shows that some guys prefer to be the top dog in a promotion. That ' s why RVD and Dreamer stayed with ECW , same with Sting in WCW . That just started a whole new group based around Marty . We shall see.

MJF and Tom Lawlor are under MLW contracts. Both Lucha brothers are still under a Lucha Underground deal. The Lucha brothers could possible appear for AEW , but they cannot sign a exclusive unless they can get out of the LU deal. It won't be easy to build a roster. The WWE , NJPW and ROH are just not going to roll over and play dead. AEW can built a solid roster , but it won't happen overnight .
Montana

Post by Montana »

Memphis Mark wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Flip Gordon is just starting a new 2 year deal with ROH . Marty Scrull is not a done deal . Marty can be the top guy in ROH , who knows how much of raise he will get in he stays with ROH . Marty will always work under Cody and the Bucks in the Elite . History shows that some guys prefer to be the top dog in a promotion. That ' s why RVD and Dreamer stayed with ECW , same with Sting in WCW . That just started a whole new group based around Marty . We shall see.

MJF and Tom Lawlor are under MLW contracts. Both Lucha brothers are still under a Lucha Underground deal. The Lucha brothers could possible appear for AEW , but they cannot sign a exclusive unless they can get out of the LU deal. It won't be easy to build a roster. The WWE , NJPW and ROH are just not going to roll over and play dead. AEW can built a solid roster , but it won't happen overnight .
Yes, my main point, was most of the rumored likely names to go to AEW are currently under deals with other promotions and will either need to work with a less promotion (MLW/Impact) to book a decent double or nothing card. I really hope ROH can keep Flip and Marty. I think we may be talking about the same deal flip signed. He talked about it in NOV 2018, but was signed earlier in 2018 in a 2 year deal. It sounds like it goes until 2020, thus his contract is up at the end of 2019.

https://www.sescoops.com/flip-gordon-si ... -of-honor/
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2018/ ... ct-647557/

"According to a report from PW Insider, Flip Gordon has just reached a deal with Ring of Honor which will keep him in the promotion through to 2020"

Your 100% right, AEW is not going to have a full roster built over night. It will be very interesting if they can get a major TV deal.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'm pretty sure Trevor Lee and DJZ will be heading to 205 Live.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

I don't keep up with the WWE . So , I am wondering what contract are expiring in the next year ? Are there any talents that want out ?
Montana

Post by Montana »

I believe The Good Brothers and Dolph Ziggler end around May 2019. Gran Metallick has gone on record to say he's unhappy in the WWE. Not sure about the Revivial. AJ is ending mid-2019 but expected to re-sign if he hasn't done so yet.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

kovs27 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm I'm pretty sure Trevor Lee and DJZ will be heading to 205 Live.
The Trevor Lee to WWE stories have been floating around for several weeks, but is there are actually talk of DJZ going to WWE?
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:31 pm
Memphis Mark wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Yes, my main point, was most of the rumored likely names to go to AEW are currently under deals with other promotions and will either need to work with a less promotion (MLW/Impact) to book a decent double or nothing card. I really hope ROH can keep Flip and Marty. I think we may be talking about the same deal flip signed. He talked about it in NOV 2018, but was signed earlier in 2018 in a 2 year deal. It sounds like it goes until 2020, thus his contract is up at the end of 2019.

https://www.sescoops.com/flip-gordon-si ... -of-honor/
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2018/ ... ct-647557/

"According to a report from PW Insider, Flip Gordon has just reached a deal with Ring of Honor which will keep him in the promotion through to 2020"

Your 100% right, AEW is not going to have a full roster built over night. It will be very interesting if they can get a major TV deal.
Just to say on this, Flip recently tweeted that he had extended his deal with ROH that would be mean he would be kept through 2020.

Marty apparently could be a little bit longer than April as it may run until September, I doubt ROH will be able to keep him consdering Jacksonville is in Florida and his Girlfriend/long term partner is based in Florida full time, it makes the whole relationship alot easier for everyone.

It was a good move by them to base themselves out of Florida considering where NXT are and alot of the guys have based themselves means if they do leave, they wont have to move very far.

I think we will certainly see alot of guys like Jack Evans/Angelico etc, Best Freinds if they don't split I imagine are also likely. MJF once his contract with MLW will be likely go considering they already used him for All Inn and I think had a good relationship with each other, (ROH really should have been quicker there). If Impact don't create a working relationship they will be hit the hardest because so many of their talents are good freinds of theres.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

LJimmy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:24 pm
kovs27 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm I'm pretty sure Trevor Lee and DJZ will be heading to 205 Live.
The Trevor Lee to WWE stories have been floating around for several weeks, but is there are actually talk of DJZ going to WWE?
I think the DJZ talk comes from Rockstar Spud retweeting the DJZ tweet about being a fee agent right around when he said to expect new talent coming to 205 Live.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

PAC is in Jacksonville . Huge signing.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

So is AEW working with MLW or just taking their talent with MJF and Joey Janela?